An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vigilante Justice

ardillacid

Morality of vigilantism   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ed Normile

Vigilante justice is never moral, when justice is levied by hot heads riled up for a cause it can never be moral. People complain about the death penalty, at least those who die from it have had the benefits of the court system and years of repeals, and occasionally there is still someone wrongly put to death. How can a spur of the moment type of justice enacted when emotions are high ever be a moral thing?

ed

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='09 July 2010 - 03:38 AM' timestamp='1278657498' post='2139770']
Vigilante justice is never moral, when justice is levied by hot heads riled up for a cause it can never be moral. People complain about the death penalty, at least those who die from it have had the benefits of the court system and years of repeals, and occasionally there is still someone wrongly put to death. How can a spur of the moment type of justice enacted when emotions are high ever be a moral thing?

ed
[/quote]

Vigilantism does not necessarily have to be pursued in a rage or result in murder. If it is pursued in such away it is definitely imprudent if not flat out wrong. Vigilante justice can be pursued calmly and rationally; I'd imagine.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='09 July 2010 - 03:20 AM' timestamp='1278656456' post='2139743']
I voted for "moral in certain circumstances, but those circumstances are fairly rare".
[/quote]

I agree. Would peaceful protests (doing what is right but what is against the law or doing what the law refuses to do but should) count? I think so, though such cases won't be black and white probably and such things really have to be taken into specific consideration, unless of course Batman shows up because then we know it is right.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2TqcK_9ujw&feature=related[img]http://api.ning.com/files/npJ*K*02XuYa3sBLoOfMUP64MF3jdVAwcLS7EixYA2*NHzg05*I5A7AwpTl2P4HNAJCHrCkRWAUIZdfI2ZOB5IwRtBOrjgfJ/1141983batman_batman_chuck_norris_predator_demotivational_poster_1260417903_super.jpg[/img][/media]
(sorry couldn't help it)

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

only when you have your own TV show

[img]http://filmmakermagazine.com/loadandplay/uploaded_images/061220_dexter-746207.jpg[/img]

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='09 July 2010 - 04:06 AM' timestamp='1278659199' post='2139796']
only when you have your own TV show

[img]http://filmmakermagazine.com/loadandplay/uploaded_images/061220_dexter-746207.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Batman would so own Dexter.

[img]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd243/cyberlink420/Motivational%20Posters/BatmanWins.jpg[/img]
because Chuck Norris never fought the Predator!

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Sternhauser

Strange how heroes, such as Batman, with his torturing (Batman Begins, dangling and threatening to kill the man unless he gave him information,) and then the newest movie, where he tortures the Joker,) and baking criminals (Batman Begins, strapping the thug on a searchlight that heats up to hundreds of degrees) actually change to represent what a populace looks for in a hero. Very telling that in this culture, the list of "virtues" includes torturing people.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

MichaelFilo

I don't think there can be room for it, unless ordained by God. The state fulfills that role as per Paul. In the absence of a state, I can only imagine it is the only recourse for justice, but who can be an arbitrater of it? We believe an impartial jury who has heard both sides is as fair as justice will get. I don't know who will be willing to be both jury and executioner of justice.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 July 2010 - 07:37 AM' timestamp='1278682642' post='2139834']
How are you defining vigilantism?
[/quote]
I think this is an important question in determining whether it can be moral.

As it's commonly understood, vigilantism is "justice" handled outside the normal channels of law giving and law enforcement, even though those channels exist. The usual justification is on the enforcement end, that law enforcement officials are either corrupt, ineffective, or don't have a strong enough presence in a given area. There is an element of assuming enforcement powers that have not been properly ceded to an individual or group.

There are instances where I believe it would be permissible for an individual or group to take the administration of justice into his or her own hands, such as in the defense of one's home or loved ones. However, I don't think those would qualify as "vigilante" justice, because the laws in most states provide for this sort of individual enforcement of the law. So I think that meeting an imminent threat with decisive action would not be vigilantism.

I agree with Winchester that the biggest problem with it is its swiftness, but vigilante justice also tends to be merciless. I think of lynchings in the last century as an example. My initial thought was that it could rarely be morally ok, but on reflection the instances in which I believe individual or group action would be permissible are actually typically sanctioned by the law and therefore actions wouldn't be vigilantism.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='09 July 2010 - 08:35 AM' timestamp='1278678903' post='2139816']
Strange how heroes, such as Batman, with his torturing (Batman Begins, dangling and threatening to kill the man unless he gave him information,) and then the newest movie, where he tortures the Joker,) and baking criminals (Batman Begins, strapping the thug on a searchlight that heats up to hundreds of degrees) actually change to represent what a populace looks for in a hero. Very telling that in this culture, the list of "virtues" includes torturing people.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
I think in [i]The Dark Knight[/i], Batman is shown as walking the line between hero and anti-hero, rather than always being a paragon of morality. A reviewer noted how in [i]The Dark Knight[/i], whenever Batman "tortures" a bad guy to get information (such as the Joker and Maroni), it never leads to success on his part. After being beaten, the Joker gives Batman false information, and Rachael is killed while Harvey Dent is disfigured and ultimately corrupted.
In the interrogation scene (which incidentally Chris Nolan has said is his favorite), Batman is shown as a man losing control, while his rough methods prove frustratingly ineffective against the Joker, who takes masochistic delight in his beatings, and gleefully predicts that he will make Batman "break his one rule" (kill him).

That said, I honestly don't think it's necessarily wrong to rough up or frighten murderous criminals or terrorists to help save lives, much as that is an unpopular opinion on here. There's something wrong with a line of thought that places a higher premium on the comfort of murderers than on innocent lives. I think it's because much of our society essentially worships comfort anyway. A lot of people who are full of self-righteous horror at terrorists being caused discomfort or fear, see little horror in the murder of millions of the innocent unborn (or at best view the two as equivalent evils).

And incidentally, Stern, wouldn't [i]all[/i] justice be vigilante justice in your anarchist utopia?
(You might want to check out Frank Miller's classic 80s Batman work - it had some anarchist undertones.)

Edited by Socrates

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='09 July 2010 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1278699520' post='2139967']
I think this is an important question in determining whether it can be moral.

As it's commonly understood, vigilantism is "justice" handled outside the normal channels of law giving and law enforcement, even though those channels exist. The usual justification is on the enforcement end, that law enforcement officials are either corrupt, ineffective, or don't have a strong enough presence in a given area. There is an element of assuming enforcement powers that have not been properly ceded to an individual or group.

There are instances where I believe it would be permissible for an individual or group to take the administration of justice into his or her own hands, such as in the defense of one's home or loved ones. However, I don't think those would qualify as "vigilante" justice, because the laws in most states provide for this sort of individual enforcement of the law. So I think that meeting an imminent threat with decisive action would not be vigilantism.

I agree with Winchester that the biggest problem with it is its swiftness, but vigilante justice also tends to be merciless. I think of lynchings in the last century as an example. My initial thought was that it could rarely be morally ok, but on reflection the instances in which I believe individual or group action would be permissible are actually typically sanctioned by the law and therefore actions wouldn't be vigilantism.
[/quote]
See, that's what I was thinking about. Is defending yourself vigilante justice? It's outside of the law and has aspects of serving justice.

I just think that the term itself is loaded, which is why I haven't answered the poll.

CatherineM

What first came to my mind was Hurricane Charlie. There is a certain point before a storm hits that all responders are shut down, and stationed out of the storm surge areas. After that, no police, fire or ambulance will respond until the all clear is sounded. The first rule of rescue it to make no further victims. Anyway, during a lull in the worst part of the storm, kind of like the eye, except the eye was several miles south of us, everyone went out to walk their dogs. Someone's pit bull attacked someone's poodle, and the next thing we knew a guy was pointing a shotgun at the pit bull, and since the owner was shielding the dog, at the owner as well. It got handled the best we could, and no shots were fired, but normally, a bunch of guys tackling a man with a gun would be better handled by the police.