An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Heretics Be Spanked?

Laudate_Dominum

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

"We condemn, reprobate, and reject completely ... that the spanking of heretics is against the will of the Spirit."

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='05 July 2010 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1278360623' post='2138031']
"We condemn, reprobate, and reject completely ... that the spanking of heretics is against the will of the Spirit."
[/quote]

Does that mean you are in favor of spanking heretics?

I tend to be against corporal punishment. Not only will it not change the heretic's mind, but you'll likely be arrested for assault. (In this society, you are only allowed to hit children.)

Perhaps a "time out" standing in the corner while you read them something wise.

The way I deal with heretics (since many of them are my closest relatives, and several are quite elderly, and both cranky and stubborn) is to ignore the subject of religion altogether. If religion is brought up (which, in my family, is usually only for the purpose of starting a fight, not to have a rational discussion) I simply refuse to talk about it. A few years ago, in order to bait me, my father told me with great gravity that he was "coming out" (his words) as an atheist. I replied, "That's nice. Does that mean I have to march in the Atheist Day Parade or join a 'Families and Friends of Atheists' support group?" He never brought up the subject again.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='05 July 2010 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1278362287' post='2138046']
Does that mean you are in favor of spanking heretics?[/quote]
I favor spanking for all! Don't believe in discrimination based on heterodoxy. That's just my personal opinion though.

MissScripture

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='05 July 2010 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1278362287' post='2138046']
Does that mean you are in favor of spanking heretics?

I tend to be against corporal punishment. Not only will it not change the heretic's mind, but you'll likely be arrested for assault. (In this society, you are only allowed to hit children.)

Perhaps a "time out" standing in the corner while you read them something wise.

The way I deal with heretics (since many of them are my closest relatives, and several are quite elderly, and both cranky and stubborn) is to ignore the subject of religion altogether. If religion is brought up (which, in my family, is usually only for the purpose of starting a fight, not to have a rational discussion) I simply refuse to talk about it. A few years ago, in order to bait me, my father told me with great gravity that he was "coming out" (his words) as an atheist. I replied, "That's nice. Does that mean I have to march in the Atheist Day Parade or join a "Families and Friends of Atheists" support group? He never brought the subject up again.
[/quote]
Nice response to your father! It's interesting that he used teh phrase "coming out" as an atheist, as that is the exact phrase my brother used when he sent us an e-mail telling us that he was atheist.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MissScripture' date='05 July 2010 - 04:04 PM' timestamp='1278363887' post='2138062']
Nice response to your father! It's interesting that he used teh phrase "coming out" as an atheist, as that is the exact phrase my brother used when he sent us an e-mail telling us that he was atheist.
[/quote]

I don't know whether my father read the phrase "coming out" as an atheist somewhere else or not. I didn't ask.

I simply figured he used the phrase because he lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, where people are always "coming out" about something or another. That's why I made the comment comparing his "coming out" to that of the gay community, in which supportive families of gays march in the Gay Pride Parade and join groups of friends and families of gays. He "got" the reference, which is why he made no further comment.

I realize that, out of context, my my remarks to my father could be considered "cold" and "disrespectful." And, normally when my father brings up concerns etc, I don't respond like that. But, I have long been the only member of my family who has any religious beliefs, and my father, in turn, has a long history of trying to "bait me," to try to get me upset. If it weren't for that, and the fact that I realized the real purpose behind my father's "news" (which wasn't "news," anyway), I would have given him a more respectful answer.

This is what happens to those obstinate in heresy.

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/15/18899174_e42c581f5c_m.jpg[/img]

MissScripture

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='05 July 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1278364850' post='2138070']
I don't know whether my father read the phrase "coming out" as an atheist somewhere else or not. I didn't ask.

I simply figured he used the phrase because he lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, where people are always "coming out" about something or another. That's why I made the comment comparing his "coming out" to that of the gay community, in which supportive families of gays march in the Gay Pride Parade and join groups of friends and families of gays. He "got" the reference, which is why he made no further comment.

I realize that, out of context, my my remarks to my father could be considered "cold" and "disrespectful." And, normally when my father brings up concerns etc, I don't respond like that. But, I have long been the only member of my family who has any religious beliefs, and my father, in turn, has a long history of trying to "bait me," to try to get me upset. If it weren't for that, and the fact that I realized the real purpose behind my father's "news" (which wasn't "news," anyway), I would have given him a more respectful answer.
[/quote]
Oh, I understand. I was sincere in my compliment of a nice answer, in the sense that it was a good way to cut it off, and not be baited, but not just ignore him. I have no idea where my brother got the phrase from, either, and his telling us was pretty much for the same reason --to bait us into arguing so he could rant about how stupid we must be. My little sister actually took him up on it, and was doing quite well, when my parents told her to knock it off, because he wasn't in it to be convinced of anything, just to be a pain in the butt. I found it ironic, however, when she was "debating" with him, she was using a book on apologetics that he had given her while he was Catholic. :hehe:

sistersintigo

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='05 July 2010 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1278362924' post='2138054']
I use flyswatters.
[/quote]
LOL

MissScripture

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='06 July 2010 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1278471009' post='2138807']
Be careful, i hit back :)
[/quote]
You're not a heretic. You're just wrong. :P :ninja: