An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-Medical Insurance Plans

Slappo

I'd like to keep this strictly to non medical coverage. No medical, dental, eye, or hearing.

So there are TONS of different insurance policies available. What insurance do you have, what do you wish you were able to have/afford, and why?

What is prudent with insurance, and what is failing to trust in God?

I have the following:
Life
Accidental Death and Dismemberment
Short term Disability
Long term Disability
Car (including collision and un/underinsured driver coverage)

I'm not a homeowner, and I don't have insurance on my possessions. My wife does not currently have life insurance, but she is partially covered under my ADD insurance.

Nihil Obstat

I insured my beard for seven hundred kajillion dollars.

Instead of a premium, I allow them to use a picture of it in their advertisements.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='24 June 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1277412789' post='2133747']
Basic life insurance is very important and probably more so than any of the others.
[/quote]
I don't profess to know anything about this topic, but what do you think of this?

[url="http://www.daveramsey.com/article/the-truth-about-life-insurance/"]The Truth About Life Insurance[/url]

Just curious.

Laudate_Dominum

P.S. You may be interested in these articles Slappo.

[url="http://www.daveramsey.com/articles/article-list/category/lifeandmoney_insurance/"]LIFE AND MONEY - INSURANCE[/url]

I don't know anything about it but my wife tells me that this guy is popular among families in this area.

I have life insurance. I've had it since I was 18. My mom insisted, and I got some really cheap through the Society of American Foresters. I was a student member at the time. When I graduated, I was able to convert it to a full policy without having to have a physical. I couldn't pass one because of previous sports injuries. I didn't have disability insurance when I got hurt, because I couldn't pass the physical for that either. I have always had car insurance, and either house or renter's insurance. I've had one burglary, and now a flood. I've always carried as much insurance as I could because I didn't have a safety net of rich relatives to help me out if something catastrophic happened.

What I always recommended for my clients was to get life and disability insurance while you are young enough to qualify for it. If you wait until middle age, chances are you will be turned down for weight or blood pressure or any number of things. We also applied for mortgage insurance when we bought our condo, but were turned down because of my husband's illness. Growing up, there were two widows on our block who owned their houses because of mortgage insurance. Also remember that in this day where two incomes are usually the norm, make sure you have insurance on your wife too. If you have a stay at home wife (or husband) you need insurance to cover the expense of day care.

Lastly, you are actually more likely to need disability insurance than life insurance. If you die young, your wife can eventually rebuild her life. If you end up in a wheelchair, it's a totally financial issue.

Actually, after seeing my uncle in a wheelchair for 20+ years due to brain aneurysm surgery, the insurance to look into would be long-term care/home health care/nursing home insurance. It helped my aunt out tremendously with expenses.