An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are There Any Carmelites Around Here?

mariaassunta

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='21 June 2010 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1277145789' post='2132291']
What a beautiful community!!

Y'all trying to tempt me, or something?!

Seriously though, they seem like an amazing community.
[/quote]

Do you have another community you are seriously discerning with, or set to enter?

If not, I'm serious -- you definitely should look into this community - they have active Sisters ("apostolic" Sisters) and contemplative Sisters!

I had the opportunity to spend a week with them in the contemplative Sisters' US novitiate in Illinois. I was a Sister at the time, so I was privileged to stay in the cloister, in one of the Sisters' cells. The cells are set up almost exactly like a Carmelite's (that's the first thing I thought of when I went into the room) -- they are very austere, with an old mattress that sits on the floor, among other BEAUTIFUL austerities.

They were founded by a Dominican, so they are VERY much into learning, as a Dominican would -- they tend to focus on philosophy, because they feel that the lack of correct philosophical training is part of the major problem of our world today, especially among young people.

But they have a very beautiful, structured prayer life, [u]very[/u] contemplative charism, and they are also very austere -- much like a Carmelite.

Seriously, if you aren't already set on another community, please look into the Sisters of St. John!!! :woot:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='21 June 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1277146594' post='2132293']
Do you have another community you are seriously discerning with, or set to enter?

If not, I'm serious -- you definitely should look into this community - they have active Sisters ("apostolic" Sisters) and contemplative Sisters!

I had the opportunity to spend a week with them in the contemplative Sisters' US novitiate in Illinois. I was a Sister at the time, so I was privileged to stay in the cloister, in one of the Sisters' cells. The cells are set up almost exactly like a Carmelite's (that's the first thing I thought of when I went into the room) -- they are very austere, with an old mattress that sits on the floor, among other BEAUTIFUL austerities.

They were founded by a Dominican, so they are VERY much into learning, as a Dominican would -- they tend to focus on philosophy, because they feel that [b]the lack of correct philosophical training is part of the major problem of our world today, especially among young people. [/b]

But they have a very beautiful, structured prayer life, [u]very[/u] contemplative charism, and they are also very austere -- much like a Carmelite.

Seriously, if you aren't already set on another community, please look into the Sisters of St. John!!! :woot:
[/quote]

If I weren't pretty much set to enter with a different community (as soon as my loan situation allows), I'd seriously take a look into this community. I've devoured their website-- and I keep thinking to myself, [i]Wonder what've happened if I stumbled across this early on in my discernment?[/i]

PS The bolded part. Definitely true. So, so true.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='21 June 2010 - 03:13 PM' timestamp='1277147585' post='2132301']
If I weren't pretty much set to enter with a different community (as soon as my loan situation allows)
[/quote]

I couldn't remember if that were the case or not. I'm sure the community you are set to enter is just as lovely! :D Be assured of my prayers!!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='21 June 2010 - 01:40 AM' timestamp='1277098827' post='2132105']

And, Vee8 is showing some Carmelite tendencies, but since she's not wild about Therese I wonder about whether she wouldn't be happier with the Dominicans.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img] Poor Vee8, she takes so much grief from us!
[/quote]

:lol:

We'll get her, sooner or later...

:evil:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='21 June 2010 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1277150169' post='2132327']
:lol:

We'll get her, sooner or later...

:evil:
[/quote]

Welcome to the Carmelite thread MM :bye: Would you like to join the calced or discalced? :deal:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='21 June 2010 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1277098827' post='2132105']
Nunsense is currently on a three month live-in with a Carmelite community.

And, Vee8 is showing some Carmelite tendencies, but since she's not wild about Therese I wonder about whether she wouldn't be happier with the Dominicans.
[/quote]

The thing with the Dominicans, or any other Order right now, is that if I wrote or talked to them and they asked me flat out " why do you want to be a Dominican?" I don't have an answer. When the Carmelites asked me why them (as they did several times, a different Sister each time) I had an answer. This sounds nuts but one time one of the nuns actually knew my answer before I could finish saying the sentence and trust me there is no way, other than by the Holy Spirit, that she could have known it. Her "why do you want to be a Carmelite?" Me "i don't want to actually, if it was up to me I'd rather spend the rest of my life..." She interrupts"... sitting on the beach drinking beer..". I was holding onto the grille wiith absolute shock on my face at that point because she knew my silly answer! I have another answer as well, which I also told them, but if they are that attuned to the Holy Spirit I'm sure they would have said I'd be better off with the Dominicans etc than what they really said which was come back soon. :)

[quote name='vee8' date='21 June 2010 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1277154070' post='2132383']
Her "why do you want to be a Carmelite?" Me "i don't want to actually, if it was up to me I'd rather spend the rest of my life..." She interrupts"... sitting on the beach drinking beer..". I
[/quote]

:blink:

Whoa, that actually happened!?!? Sounds like the Holy Spirit if ever I've heard of it! ...

I guess the same answer could hold true for Dominicans, though ... don't you think? :saint:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='melporcristo' date='21 June 2010 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1277154967' post='2132390']
+JMJT+

Carmelite?!? Hmmm ... like a Carmel Light Frappuccino from Starbucks???

:))
[/quote]

:lol_roll:

:sweat:

Haha, too funny!!!

:lol_sign:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='21 June 2010 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1277152873' post='2132361']
Welcome to the Carmelite thread MM :bye: Would you like to join the calced or discalced? :deal:
[/quote]

:shock:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='21 June 2010 - 07:16 PM' timestamp='1277162213' post='2132457']
:shock:

[/quote]

She's already calced and claimed by St. Dominic. :D

Teehee. :hehe:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='21 June 2010 - 07:21 PM' timestamp='1277162514' post='2132460']

[/quote]

I couldn't have said it better myself. :hehe:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='21 June 2010 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1277162514' post='2132460']

[/quote]

:lol: Shoes are overrated

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wr40QTymJRc/Sqbshx4bLAI/AAAAAAAAA-Y/27Id5fCs0JA/s320/carmelites+communion.jpg[/img]

The veil isn't as long as the Nashville Dominicans but it's still nice :deal:

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='21 June 2010 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1277154452' post='2132385']
:blink:

Whoa, that actually happened!?!? Sounds like the Holy Spirit if ever I've heard of it! ...

I guess the same answer could hold true for Dominicans, though ... don't you think? :saint:
[/quote]

The Spirit moves where it wills in all Orders... :whistle:

Ya it really happened and it wasn't the only time something similar to it did either. I spent a lot of time looking like this :shock: and miming attemtped running out the door! I should add that the conversations were very natural and very funny but they would say things that amazed me. Since it's from the Holy Spirit they probably had no idea the full impact their words were having on me, aside from my expression.

Edited by vee8

Mary Veronica

[quote name='vee8' date='21 June 2010 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1277152873' post='2132361']
[/quote]

wait, I think they're more than calced or discalced. I'm preparing to enter an eremitical carmelite order. so than would that be a "one-sole" LOL. calced, discalced, or one-soled.

ahhh, nevermind.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel, pray for all of us who share in the spirit of the Order <3 and in the spirit of everything that you've influenced.