An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking Weed

musturde

KnightofChrist

[quote name='notardillacid' date='17 June 2010 - 12:36 AM' timestamp='1276749415' post='2130260']
False.
[/quote]

All narcotic drugs have that effect, beer and whine also have that effect if over used.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='17 June 2010 - 12:39 AM' timestamp='1276749554' post='2130262']
All narcotic drugs have that effect, beer and whine also have that effect if over used.
[/quote]
would you like some che[s][/s]ese to go with your whine?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='17 June 2010 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1276749425' post='2130261']
What would be the point in smoking pot if one cannot get high?
[/quote]
Being "high" isn't an on/off switch.

You're argument is like saying, "What would be the point in drinking alcohol if one cannot get drunk?

It's sorta lame man

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='17 June 2010 - 12:18 AM' timestamp='1276748291' post='2130246']
Weed and any drug really dulls the intellect of the mind. For a christian it is sinful to get high just as it is sinful to get drunk.
[/quote]
[i]i-basically-agree-with-this-comment[/i]

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='17 June 2010 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1276749631' post='2130264']
would you like some coagulated milk to go with your whine?
[/quote]

Wine

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='17 June 2010 - 12:39 AM' timestamp='1276749554' post='2130262']
[/quote]
Marijuana is definitely not a narcotic, so your point is pointless

KnightofChrist

[quote name='notardillacid' date='17 June 2010 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1276749703' post='2130266']
Being "high" isn't an on/off switch.

You're argument is like saying, "What would be the point in drinking alcohol if one cannot get drunk?

It's sorta lame man
[/quote]

One joint to the face accomplishes the high unless of course one has smoked so much that no longer is the case. You gave no reasons to smoke weed where you would not get high that have a purpose. Please I know the medical arguments and there are pills that will accomplish the same effect without the high effect.

Edited by KnightofChrist

dominicansoul

i think it is okay to get tipsy while drinking, just don't get blown out obnoxious drunk and then commit all sorts of sinful acts under the influence...
i think it is okay for people to get a little high with their friends, without getting obnoxious and then commiting all sorts of sinful acts under the influence...

...i tend to believe liquor and weed are not evil in and of themselves, but the abuse of them are...I think these items are here on this green earth to make people a little less rigid, more chilled out and a little bit more happy sometimes... but that's just my opinion...

...i'm still reading L_D's answer over and over and allowing it to absorb into my brain...I'll probably have to change my views, but I'm not quite ready yet...

KnightofChrist

[quote name='notardillacid' date='17 June 2010 - 12:44 AM' timestamp='1276749877' post='2130271']
Marijuana is definitely not a narcotic, so your point is pointless
[/quote]

Not like crack I will agree. But it is an narcotic it alters the mind, body and mood of the person and it is addictive, again not like crack but addictive. I've seen countless potheads "feen" for weed. They become irritable, easily upset, and quite unpleasant if they don't get their daily dose of pot.

dominicansoul

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='17 June 2010 - 12:49 AM' timestamp='1276750183' post='2130275']I've seen countless potheads "feen" for weed. They become irritable, easily upset, and quite unpleasant if they don't get their daily dose of pot.
[/quote]

...the same thing happens to this fat lady I work with when she doesn't get her daily donuts for breakfast

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='17 June 2010 - 12:44 AM' timestamp='1276749897' post='2130272']
One joint to the face accomplishes the high unless of course one has smoke so much that no longer is the case.
[/quote]
I have no idea how many times that I've heard this. It is, of course, false. (btw, I've never heard the phrase "joint to the face") I'm interested where this idea comes from. :huh:

i'm going to assume that when you say 'high', you roughly mean the equivalent of 'drunk'. That is, you have lost your ability to reason. As I understand it, that is the primary offense: the sacrifice of the mental faculties. I can assure you (like i've already stated), being high is not an on/off switch. There is a gradual slope. For some people it might just be one joint. If that is the case, I recommend you smoke less than one joint. You will still feel some effect, but won't lose your ability to reason.

Nihil Obstat

So KofC, just to make sure I'm understanding you, your argument is that a single joint brings a "high" to the point of sin, morally equivalent to drinking excessively?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='16 June 2010 - 09:44 PM' timestamp='1276749897' post='2130272']
One joint to the face accomplishes the high unless of course one has smoke so much that no longer is the case.
[/quote]

wut?

well, to point to alcohol again, one can drink and feel some of the effects without being drunk. getting a buzz, feeling like dancing, social lubrication, these all can happen without being passed out drunk and vomiting.

its harder to point to a part of smoking weed where you are definitely stoned, akin to being drunk.
This is not because weed is on/off high.
This is because there isnt really a level of stoned where you are passing out, significantly losing motor control, vomiting all over the place and waking up in strange places with strange people.

that is what the bible prescribes against, being DRUNK. the fact that marijuana doesnt have a similar experience, is a good thing. Arguably getting stoned to the point of being an eggplant with vital signs in your basement is not a great idea, but as a different substance with less harmful effects i doubt it needs to be subjected to alcohol's "Before this is fine/after this is bad" scale.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='16 June 2010 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1276750183' post='2130275']
Not like crack I will agree. But it is an narcotic it alters the mind, body and mood of the person and it is addictive, again not like crack but addictive. I've seen countless potheads "feen" for weed.
[/quote]

"The term [b]narcotic[/b] (pronounced [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English"]/nɑrˈkɒtɨk/[/url]) strictly refers (medically) to any psychoactive compound with [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid"]morphine-like effects[/url] (see [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiate"]Opiate[/url]). A Narcotic is defined as a drug as opium or morphine that in moderate doses relieves pain and induces deep sleep. Excessive use can cause tremors and seizures. However, the term is also used colloquially to refer to any psychoactive drug that induces sleep. Examples of narcotics include [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morphine"]morphine[/url], [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laudanum"]laudanum[/url], and [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin"]heroin[/url]."

and, I am pretty sure you mean "fiend"

Edited by Jesus_lol

HisChildForever

[quote name='musturde' date='17 June 2010 - 12:25 AM' timestamp='1276748710' post='2130253']
Your boyfriend's reaction is similar the one's i've seen from people who needed a cigarette and couldn't smoke, a beer and couldn't drink, or a donut and couldn't eat. People can get addicted to just about anything.[/quote]

Ex boyfriend. Your comparisons here make little sense. Marijuana addiction cannot be compared to nicotine addiction because the former is psychological and not physical whereas the latter is both psychological and physical. A donut is not a drug so I have no clue why you threw that one in there. The only comparison that would work or be similar is beer, and the cravings of an alcoholic. But again, alcohol is psychologically and physically addictive whereas marijuana is only psychological.

[quote] Just because someone CAN get mentally addicted to something, doesn't mean the thing itself is bad. People are also addicted to the internet and exercise. Should we outlaw those things too? [/quote]

Psychological addiction is very dangerous and it comes in a variety of forms. The individual addicted to the internet will experience a decline in health due to poor eating habits and not enough sleep. The individual addicted to exercise will become weak and dehydrated. The individual addicted to marijuana will suffer a sharp decline in mood and depending upon the personality can become violent. In other words, you cannot lump different types of psychological addiction together as if they are all the same and have the same result.

[quote]Also, I think alcohol is as much of a "gateway drug" than weed but people overlook that because it's legal. If this is the same for weed, then once legalized, weed will no longer be sold by dealers and, by your argument earlier, will no longer be a "gateway drug".
[/quote]

I think you are confused about what I mean when I say "gateway drug". Well your second sentence seemed to understand but your first did not. Marijuana is a "gateway drug" [i]because[/i] it is illegal - to get your hands on marijuana you are forced to see a dealer (unless your friend did that for you) and it is very likely that that dealer sells other drugs besides marijuana. Therefore, by seeking marijuana, you increase your access to other drugs. Since alcohol can be bought on the shelves legally and no dealer is involved, it is not a "gateway drug". That is one positive for making marijuana legal - eliminating the third party, the dealer, and reducing access to other drugs. There are positives and negatives to legalizing it but in the end I think it is nonsensical to make marijuana legal while simultaneously spreading anti-smoking campaigns.