An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking Weed

musturde

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Winchester' date='16 June 2010 - 04:05 PM' timestamp='1276722301' post='2130058']
It's not a pleasant smell, I agree. And stale weed smell in filthy apartments is pretty horrible. But tobacco smells good when burned--there is something screwed up about cigarettes.
[/quote]
That would be why pipe smoke is a much more decent and friendly smell.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

If you ask me, tobacco should be outlawed too :getaclue:

Tobacco and marijuana are bad for your health

:loco: weed, :thumbdown:

Edited by apparently

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='16 June 2010 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1276716529' post='2129982']
Then we should legalize other illicit drugs and prostitution, since the state has no right to interfere with one's personal liberty. Right?
[/quote]

I definitely did not say that the state has no right to interfere with one's personal liberty. I'm not an anarchist. Instead of making sweeping generalizations, I prefer to take things on a case by case basis.

It's not my thing, but if John Q wants to smoke a bowl in the privacy of his home, I don't care. Marijuana is a victimless crime. No one is hurt but the user. People don't smoke a j, then go beat their wives. This isn't the case with all drugs, especially some of the harder ones, like amphetamines.

As for prostitution, I don't have a definitive answer for you. I haven't done much research on the topic, but I think a lot of the time, the women are forced into it. So again, not a victimless crime. However, I think it was Aquinas who thought that prostitution should be legal, so I don't really have a well-formed opinion one way or the other.

[quote]People smoke laced marijuana on purpose, I am not referring to unsuspecting people who have been handed a laced joint.[/quote]

I guess I don't understand your pov then. You think that legalization of marijuana will lead to more people putting PCP into the weed?

HisChildForever

[quote name='notardillacid' date='16 June 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1276729517' post='2130123']
I guess I don't understand your pov then. You think that legalization of marijuana will lead to more people putting PCP into the weed?
[/quote]

Not necessarily PCP but yes, for drug trafficking purposes. It's just a thought.

this thread got big today, sorry for the quotes from a few pages back :)

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='16 June 2010 - 11:36 AM' timestamp='1276713390' post='2129954']
As I mentioned earlier, marijuana can be laced with other illicit substances. That is probably one of the main concerns, that if marijuana is made legal drug trafficking would become worse.
[/quote]

I come from a place where nearly everyone i know(seriously) has or does smoke weed, and i have never heard of anyone lacing marijuana with anything other than tobacco(called a spliff, apparently smoother)

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='16 June 2010 - 11:45 AM' timestamp='1276713941' post='2129959']
I suppose I have some bias because my ex would smoke against my wishes - I remember we were watching a movie at his place and he had the nerve to leave for twenty minutes to go out and get some - and be put in an awful mood if the dealer said he was out. So many who smoke marijuana claim they are not addicted in any way, shape, or form but when they run out or can't find any? Watch out.
[/quote]

I get the same way when i feel like a bag of chips, drive to the store and forget that they close early on weekends. <_<

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='16 June 2010 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1276720317' post='2130048']
I agree.

Also, the idea of "Oh, I just want to smoke a little, it helps me relax" is fairly ridiculous. Does one [i]really[/i] need to introduce a chemical into their body to relax? What about the alternatives, like taking a hot bath, having a cup of tea, or watching a favorite movie in your pajamas?
[/quote]

so the beer after work, or out while fishing, or glass of wine with dinner isnt similar? i understand that yes the action isnt necessary, most things arent, but i dont see anything wrong with it.

[quote name='Winchester' date='16 June 2010 - 02:05 PM' timestamp='1276722301' post='2130058']
It's not a pleasant smell, I agree. And stale weed smell in filthy apartments is pretty horrible. But tobacco smells good when burned--there is something screwed up about cigarettes.
[/quote]

stale weed is a bad smell, but have you ever driven a car owned by a cigarette smoker? naaaaasty.
yeah i dont understand it, pipe tobacco and good cigars smell really nice when they are burned, but cigarettes are disgusting at best.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='apparently' date='16 June 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1276729195' post='2130121']
If you ask me, tobacco should be outlawed too :getaclue:

Tobacco and marijuana are bad for your health

:loco: weed, :thumbdown:
[/quote]
So are fast food and donuts.

KnightofChrist

Weed and any drug really dulls the intellect of the mind. For a christian it is sinful to get high just as it is sinful to get drunk.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='16 June 2010 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1276713941' post='2129959']
I suppose I have some bias because my ex would smoke against my wishes - I remember we were watching a movie at his place and he had the nerve to leave for twenty minutes to go out and get some - and be put in an awful mood if the dealer said he was out. So many who smoke marijuana claim they are not addicted in any way, shape, or form but when they run out or can't find any? Watch out.
[/quote]

Your boyfriend's reaction is similar the one's i've seen from people who needed a cigarette and couldn't smoke, a beer and couldn't drink, or a donut and couldn't eat. People can get addicted to just about anything. The addiction one can get from weed is a mental addiction. Just because someone CAN get mentally addicted to something, doesn't mean the thing itself is bad. People are also addicted to the internet and exercise. Should we outlaw those things too? Either way, I can understand your bias. I don't think these feelings should necessarily make you feel that consuming marijuana is any more or less morally wrong. Besides, if weed is legal, dealers are the losers. If you do the math, dealers DON'T want weed to be legal. They'll lose a lot of money.
Also, I think alcohol is as much of a "gateway drug" than weed but people overlook that because it's legal. If this is the same for weed, then once legalized, weed will no longer be sold by dealers and, by your argument earlier, will no longer be a "gateway drug".

Edited by musturde

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='16 June 2010 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1276748291' post='2130246']
Weed and any drug really dulls the intellect of the mind. For a christian it is sinful to get high just as it is sinful to get drunk.
[/quote]
So what do you think about one joint, as compared to a highball or a glass of wine, or a single cigarette? Or, for that matter, a Big Mac or couple donuts?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='17 June 2010 - 12:18 AM' timestamp='1276748291' post='2130246']
Weed and any drug really dulls the intellect of the mind.
[/quote]
False.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='17 June 2010 - 12:26 AM' timestamp='1276748799' post='2130254']
So what do you think about one joint, as compared to a highball or a glass of wine, or a single cigarette? Or, for that matter, a Big Mac or couple donuts?
[/quote]

What would be the point in smoking pot if one cannot get high?