An Old School Catholic Message Board

Book Recommendations!

Amor vincit omnia

OnlySunshine

I recommend:

Adandonment to Divine Providence by Jean Marie C.
When God Asks for an Undivided Heart by Fr Andrew Apostoli, CFR

Amor vincit omnia

Thank you everyone for the great recommendations! Looking forward to a lot of summer reading!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='15 June 2010 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1276629709' post='2129370']
I recommend:

Adandonment to Divine Providence by Jean Marie C.
[b]When God Asks for an Undivided Heart by Fr Andrew Apostoli, CFR
[/b][/quote]

AHA!!! That's the one I've been trying to think of!!!

Thanks for posting that MM! :lol: I wanted to recommend that along with my little list, but couldn't remember the title for the life of me. (Up until seeing your post, it was still plaguing my brain. Haha!)

While visiting the CFRs, Sr. Clare had given me a copy to take home with me. (Great book!) :twothumbsup:

melporcristo

+JMJT+

*bump!*

I'm bumping this thread because I am reading the BEST book that's so amazing for discerners!!

[url="http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mother-Angelica/Raymond-Arroyo/e/9780385510936/?itm=1&USRI=mother+angelica+the+remarkable+story+of+a+nun"]Mother Angelica, by Ramond Arroyo[/url]

I have never really thought of reading her story but its AMAZING!!!! :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='melporcristo' date='21 June 2010 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1277155358' post='2132394']
+JMJT+

*bump!*

I'm bumping this thread because I am reading the BEST book that's so amazing for discerners!!

[url="http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mother-Angelica/Raymond-Arroyo/e/9780385510936/?itm=1&USRI=mother+angelica+the+remarkable+story+of+a+nun"]Mother Angelica, by Ramond Arroyo[/url]

[/quote]

Ya know, when I come to think about it, some of the best "tools" for discernment really is simply reading the lives of the Saints. Seems for me that everytime I do, I'm all the more inspired toward the religious life!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='melporcristo' date='21 June 2010 - 05:22 PM' timestamp='1277155358' post='2132394']
+JMJT+

*bump!*

[/quote]

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='21 June 2010 - 05:24 PM' timestamp='1277155499' post='2132398']
Ya know, when I come to think about it, some of the best "tools" for discernment really is simply reading the lives of the Saints. Seems for me that everytime I do, I'm all the more inspired toward the religious life!
[/quote]

I fully agree with both of these posts! :clapping:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='21 June 2010 - 05:24 PM' timestamp='1277155499' post='2132398']
[/quote]

I agree 1000% -- that was always the case for me -- Fr. Wade Menezes of the Fathers of Mercy always recommended reading about Saints who share your state in life. So when I was discerning religious life, I focused on that, but even now I receive so much spiritual enlightenment by reading the lives of married Saints (like Bd. Anna Maria Taigi :love: )

So YES, I highly recommend that EVERYONE who discerns should own, or at least have close by, a copy of "The Lives of the Saints" -- and what helped me especially was reading the lives of Modern Saints.

melporcristo

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='21 June 2010 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1277155499' post='2132398']
[/quote]

:yes: For SURE!!

melporcristo

[quote name='Margaret Mary' date='21 June 2010 - 06:07 PM' timestamp='1277165233' post='2132484']
How about [u]Trustful Surrender To Divine Providence[/u]?
[/quote]

I have never heard of this book - I'll have to check it out! Thank you! :)

[quote name='Margaret Mary' date='21 June 2010 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1277165233' post='2132484']
How about [u]Trustful Surrender To Divine Providence[/u]?
[/quote]

A man at my old parish read this book, and it literally changed his life. He has bought countless copies of it (available [url="https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/218/keywords/trustful+surrender/"]HERE[/url] at TAN books for $7.95) and gives them out to people he meets -- he considers it a sort of "mini-apostolate" :)

It's a great book, I highly recommend it!