An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Do

dairygirl4u2c

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Here is the response I would like to have if he wanted my tv (and another assuming I even have one) and assuming it is just me in the house. Having a family in the house is a completely different ball game. (home alone) I'd probably help him carry out the tv though I'd be thinking about the Home Alone movie pranks on the burglars and then I'd lock the door behind me once we had moved them out. I'd ask how he was doing? Having hard times? Did he need something to eat, give him the cash in my wallet. Then go back inside and lock the door. This is all assuming it is just me.

If he were threatening my family or a friend then it is a different ball game. if he is just interested in stealing stuff, then again I'd help him carry things out (so he has his hands full with TV's and such and not a weapon instead) so that my family is safe . Once out the house, the people inside are safe. When I have my own place, I plan on sleeping with a bat next to my bed, incase someone really is threatening my family. If he is not just coming to steal stuff but is actually intending to do harm then I am prepared to use my Louisville Slugger bat like I practiced in baseball.

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

I have the upper body strength of a bunny, so I don't think I'd tackle the intruder or anything. I guess I'd hit a long soprano high C to annoy him and alert the neighbors, threaten him with a weapon(might get creative on that one), get a good look at him for the police lineup, call the police

As others have said, the TV is not as important as the harm he may cause to me, my family or my guinea pigs. Whether I have a higher chance of getting into heaven than him in case of death is not something I'll take into consideration. If he don't want to risk his freedom or health he can choose another source of income.

I don't think we're under any moral obligation to aid others in performing a gravely sinful and criminal act such as robbery, even if against ourselves. People certainly have a right to protect their property, though lethal force should be avoided as far as practical.
If someone has forcefully invaded our homes, he may indeed be a threat to the safety of ourselves and family, and self-defense and defense of others is certainly allowable. If it results in the criminal's death, too bad for him.
Standing by and allowing an attacker to have his way with your family is not holy, but cowardice.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Socrates' date='11 June 2010 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1276281397' post='2127332']
I don't think we're under any moral obligation to aid others in performing a gravely sinful and criminal act such as robbery, even if against ourselves. People certainly have a right to protect their property, though lethal force should be avoided as far as practical.
If someone has forcefully invaded our homes, he may indeed be a threat to the safety of ourselves and family, and self-defense and defense of others is certainly allowable. If it results in the criminal's death, too bad for him.
Standing by and allowing an attacker to have his way with your family is not holy, but cowardice.
[/quote]
Flamebait[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=105963"]?[/url]

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='11 June 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1276267411' post='2127180']
just tell him to leave, but dont resist in any way him taking the TV and other stuff

but...

I would talk the guy's ear off, wouldn't simply ask him to leave. I would make it clear that I don't value material possessions, and have no intention of using violence in retaliation, while at the same time explaining why thievery is evil, etc., and that it isn't too late for him to repent and make amends.

If the situation permitted I would attempt to find out the motivation for his stealing. Depending on the circumstances I might offer him my wallet and my shoes as well, as to a brother. Finally I would wish peace upon him and spend the remainder of the day and/or night praying and fasting.
[/quote]

This is why L_D should make more serious posts sometimes. :D

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='11 June 2010 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1276283453' post='2127362']
This is why L_D should make more serious posts sometimes. :D
[/quote]
LD, if you ever had any reason to doubt my word, this post just annihilated it. :mobile:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='notardillacid' date='11 June 2010 - 03:31 PM' timestamp='1276284704' post='2127383']
LD, if you ever had any reason to doubt my word, this post just annihilated it. :mobile:
[/quote]
The more I see that smiley the more I feel like picking up the phone and calling you. :mobile:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='11 June 2010 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1276285044' post='2127387']
The more I see that smiley the more I feel like picking up the phone and calling you. :mobile:
[/quote]
I've blocked all area codes east of wisconsin, since nothing good comes from there. :mobile:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='notardillacid' date='11 June 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1276285126' post='2127388']
I've blocked all area codes east of wisconsin, since nothing good comes from there. :mobile:
[/quote]
sad story. :sadder:

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Socrates' date='11 June 2010 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1276281397' post='2127332']
[/quote]

I don't think that anyone ever condoned such actions. I think the pacifist thing specifically concerns if the the intruder is simply interested in stealing the T.V. It is one thing to be non-resistant concerning oneself and one's own things, and quite another to be non-resistant concerning others. Obviously, the whole thing goes out the window if the person threatens your family b/c that is a different scenario than was set up in the beginning. If someone did insinuate being non-resistent when other people are threatened and I missed it, then I apologize and agree with you.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='11 June 2010 - 03:43 PM' timestamp='1276285392' post='2127391']
sad story. :sadder:
[/quote]
I know, I'm sorry dude :console:

[quote name='Era Might' date='11 June 2010 - 01:03 PM' timestamp='1276272229' post='2127238']
It also might escalate a situation beyond what it would have been.

If someone were just stealing my TV, I wouldn't do anything. He'd be doing me a favor (not that I condone stealing).

If my family were in immediate danger, then I would deal with that situation as it arises.

I was watching footage of some gun-rights advocates, who walked around all the time with guns in visible sight. Their reasoning was that you never know when an attacker is going to appear. I thought that was such a sad way to live life, in constant fear of theoretical attackers.
[/quote]

I agreee...and i have no problem w/the principle of double effect.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='11 June 2010 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1276285044' post='2127387']
[/quote]
Don't telephones conflict with your minimalist hippie ideology?

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='notardillacid' date='11 June 2010 - 04:57 PM' timestamp='1276289846' post='2127443']
Don't telephones conflict with your minimalist hippie ideology?
[/quote]
In fact yes, yes they do. I hated phones long before I had a fully developed hippie ideology. I think phone hating is like my signature thing. It's my trademark. *whistle, click click

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='11 June 2010 - 05:00 PM' timestamp='1276290041' post='2127449']
In fact yes, yes they do. I hated phones long before I had a fully developed hippie ideology. I think phone hating is like my signature thing. It's my trademark. *whistle, click click
[/quote]
It follows that the internet is far more of an offense to your philosophy, yet here you are.

At least I am consistent in my beliefs :P :mobile: