An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Do

dairygirl4u2c

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

it seems sort of radical to many, but here is the proper response, right?
Luke 6:27-31. “27But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic."

let him take the other stuff

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Laudate_Dominum

just tell him to leave, but dont resist in any way him taking the TV and other stuff

but...

I would talk the guy's ear off, wouldn't simply ask him to leave. I would make it clear that I don't value material possessions, and have no intention of using violence in retaliation, while at the same time explaining why thievery is evil, etc., and that it isn't too late for him to repent and make amends.

If the situation permitted I would attempt to find out the motivation for his stealing. Depending on the circumstances I might offer him my wallet and my shoes as well, as to a brother. Finally I would wish peace upon him and spend the remainder of the day and/or night praying and fasting.

I would take the fight out of the man. Anyone entering my home like that is a threat to my family. He will never be a threat again, when I am done.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Winchester' date='11 June 2010 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1276267531' post='2127182']
I would take the fight out of the man. Anyone entering my home like that is a threat to my family. He will never be a threat again, when I am done.[/quote]
I would not put the protection of their bodies above the safeguarding of their souls. It is better to love thine enemy and put thy trust in the Lord, even unto death, than to inflict violence upon a brother. It would be better to risk bodily harm on your family than to inflict such spiritual harm on their souls. I would suffer death in defense of my family without hesitation, but there is nothing in the world for which I would kill. I would rather suffer violence and death than commit sin. But I don't suppose dairygirl meant for us to debate self-defense. For the sake of simplicity perhaps we ought to pretend we are home alone when this thief scenario unfolds.

Blessed are the peacemakers. Praised be Jesus Christ.

The risk of them returning is also part of my decision. I may love someone yet still cause them physical injury. It's not about the television. The harm my daughter would or may suffer is of more importance than the harm an intruder might suffer.

Christian pacifism is laudable. My actions cause no problem for the souls of my family, and I am within my rights to stop the intruder and to take the fight out of him.

Having no immediate consequences might embolden the thief. My home would be seen as a soft target. Perhaps next time, he panics or he decides to take more than mere property. Perhaps he rapes someone, next time, or brags to one of his fellows who is not simply a thief. I'll pray for his soul, but I won't risk the life of my family.

Edited by Winchester

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Winchester' date='11 June 2010 - 11:43 AM' timestamp='1276271014' post='2127219']
The risk of them returning is also part of my decision. I may love someone yet still cause them physical injury. It's not about the television. The harm my daughter would or may suffer is of more importance than the harm an intruder might suffer.

Christian pacifism is laudable. My actions cause no problem for the souls of my family, and I am within my rights to stop the intruder and to take the fight out of him.

Having no immediate consequences might embolden the thief. My home would be seen as a soft target. Perhaps next time, he panics or he decides to take more than mere property. Perhaps he rapes someone, next time, or brags to one of his fellows who is not simply a thief. I'll pray for his soul, but I won't risk the life of my family.
[/quote]
Don't worry, I was being intentionally "holier than thou" for a bit of fun. I hear ya bro.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='11 June 2010 - 11:48 AM' timestamp='1276271307' post='2127226']
Don't worry, I was being intentionally "holier than thou" for a bit of fun. I hear ya bro.
[/quote]
Even so, I recognise the decision to not fight is valid, and if done with true faith, is quite holy.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Winchester' date='11 June 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1276271424' post='2127227']
Even so, I recognise the decision to not fight is valid, and if done with true faith, is quite holy.
[/quote]
Amen. I hope I would do whatever is the most holy in the particular situation, but my track record in life isn't that great. As a youth I had my share of frivolous fistfights.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Winchester' date='11 June 2010 - 11:54 AM' timestamp='1276271676' post='2127231']
God also recognises awesome, and totally radical.
[/quote]
:punk:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEdqWZi13I[/media]

[quote name='Winchester' date='11 June 2010 - 11:43 AM' timestamp='1276271014' post='2127219']Having no immediate consequences might embolden the thief.[/quote]
It also might escalate a situation beyond what it would have been.

If someone were just stealing my TV, I wouldn't do anything. He'd be doing me a favor (not that I condone stealing).

If my family were in immediate danger, then I would deal with that situation as it arises.

I was watching footage of some gun-rights advocates, who walked around all the time with guns in visible sight. Their reasoning was that you never know when an attacker is going to appear. I thought that was such a sad way to live life, in constant fear of theoretical attackers.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Era Might' date='11 June 2010 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1276272229' post='2127238']
It also might escalate a situation beyond what it would have been.

If someone were just stealing my TV, I wouldn't do anything. He'd be doing me a favor (not that I condone stealing).

If my family were in immediate danger, then I would deal with that situation as it arises.[/quote]
I agree with these comments. Especially the anti-TV sentiments. Taking dairy's scenario at face value and not adding other factors I hope that I would focus on the thief as a brother than on the stupid TV. Knowing me there is a chance that I'd get uppity and try to box with the guy. :sadder:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='11 June 2010 - 10:07 AM' timestamp='1276272428' post='2127241']
I agree with these comments. Especially the anti-TV sentiments. Taking dairy's scenario at face value and not adding other factors I hope that I would focus on the thief as a brother than on the stupid TV. Knowing me there is a chance that I'd get uppity and try to box with the guy. :sadder:
[/quote]

I associate you so much with that Kirk guy and the Data guy, that hearing you talk about getting into fistfights brings to mind an image of a brawl between them in a star trek console or something like that.

:mellow:

I'd strut my stuff physically, maybe do a little dance.

At the sight of my stuff, the burglar would immediately drop the tv, and stand paralyzed in a slack-jawed stupor. Once he had recovered from the shock and awe enough to move, he'd be overwhelmed with a feeling of inferiority, and run away in shame, never to return.

Works every time.

(Seriously, though, what Winnie said.)

Whoa oh oh oh oh
There's a party at a rich dude's house.
Whoa oh oh oh oh
There's a party at a rich dude's house.
So if you wanna go,
Then you know
We're going to fight till we do it right.
So let's whoa oh oh oh oh
Tonight.

Edited by Resurrexi