An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Practices For Those Awaiting Religious Life

Cherie

Rising_Suns

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='09 June 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1276127455' post='2126507']For reading "True Spouse of Jesus Christ" is invaluable and also the[/quote]

This book should be mandatory reading for anyone discerning a vocation to the religious life. It is arguably the single most important book for any future candidate to read. Great suggestion. :)

Edited by Rising_Suns

Jennifer G.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='08 June 2010 - 09:37 PM' timestamp='1276051024' post='2126109']
Some of the things I did were:
- daily Rosary
- Morning, Evening, and Night Prayer
- daily Mass (if possible)
- monthly spiritual direction
- regular confession (my goal was once every two weeks at least)
- Holy Hour(s) during the First Fridays (that's the only time my parish had adoration)

[/quote]

Before I became Catholic (like 10 years ago when I was in college - difficult conversion process living with a non-/fallen away Catholic family) I would do something similar to that, except I could only do the Rosary 'frequently' (it wasn't everyday), wear the brown scapular, and say morning/day/evening prayers. The prayers weren't from the LOTH, since I never knew about the LOTH until later. They were some prayers I compiled from sites like EWTN.

Now -

Daily Rosary
Brown Scapular
Regular confession (weekly)
Eucharistic Adoration (my parish has it monthly)
First Fridays
Prayer/Faith Sharing Group (we pray the Rosary together and read scripture)
Bible Study
Classes that our priest teaches (the last two are closing up for the summer - I ask him my questions before/after class)

I tried the LOTH a few times, but it's hard to do that between work and sometimes being interrupted by family throughout the evening. I will try to do 2 or 3 of the LOTH prayers during Lent, though.