An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Trouble With Angels

Thomist-in-Training

Thomist-in-Training

Yes?

In a way I feel if there were a VS Lame Board this post would go there. But there was so much that was charming! :saint: The two young actresses, June Harding & Hayley Mills, were SO good, and the clothes were fun to look at, even if the nuns are more like scenery than a real example of what nuns are like. If you already know what nuns are like, the movie is pretty easy to appreciate, at least I found it so. I cried at the end...

In a way, to compare it with something it's really not on the same plane with, the girl-girl dynamic reminded me of the male-male dynamic in "Brideshead Revisited" which is such a famous (and misconstrued) part of that story. Just a deep personal friendship (if you've only seen part of the movie, it gets more like that later), with a leader who has all the ideas and a follower who goes with 'em and soaks up the glamour.

OnlySunshine

I saw that movie for the first time a few months ago! I thought it was neat how the mischievous leader was the one who decided to enter the convent. Kind of reminded me of the phrase:

"If the Church is the hospital for sinners, the convent is the intensive care unit." :)

Tridenteen

JMJ
Then the choirloft is the psycho ward...

Anyhoo...I loved that movie! I watched it all on Youtube, and loved it! I love the "I am a captive in a nunnery" letter :-) It truly is movies like those where I feel the need to scream "I'm gonna be one of those black veiled people, too!"

CatherineM

I loved watching how they showed the internal lives of the nuns. The pretty nun who was going off to take care of lepers, how the sisters reacted when one of them died, and explaining the discernment process. The second movie isn't as good, but it does have its spots like how a nun can guilt someone into doing something, and the difference between treating their students like friends rather than mothers, and how it can cause trouble when they really need a mom.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='CatherineM' date='07 June 2010 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1275967046' post='2125519']
I loved watching how they showed the internal lives of the nuns. The pretty nun who was going off to take care of lepers, how the sisters reacted when one of them died, and explaining the discernment process. The second movie isn't as good, but it does have its spots like how a nun can guilt someone into doing something, and the difference between treating their students like friends rather than mothers, and how it can cause trouble when they really need a mom.
[/quote]

Yeah, I looked up "TWA" on IMDB--"What!? There's a sequel?!" but then I read the comments about it so I couldn't decide whether it was worth trying to hunt down or not.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='elizabeth09' date='07 June 2010 - 11:11 PM' timestamp='1275966716' post='2125516']
It was very good. I even owen it on DVD.
[/quote]

I found the DVD at Wal-Mart in the $5 bin a few months ago -- I was SO excited! :lol:

Seriously, I think I watch this movie at least once a month. (And like MM, I cry at the end.) :paperbag: Hahaha!

And I totally agree with CatherineM's take on it. Two thumbs, way up! I'm hoping to see the sequel sometime.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='07 June 2010 - 11:33 PM' timestamp='1275968031' post='2125534']
I found the DVD at Wal-Mart in the $5 bin a few months ago -- I was SO excited! :lol:

Seriously, I think I watch this movie at least once a month. (And like MM, I cry at the end.) :paperbag: Hahaha!

And I totally agree with CatherineM's take on it. Two thumbs, way up! I'm hoping to see the sequel sometime.
[/quote]

Actually, now that I think about it--I know this is bizarre--I don't know if I have [b]ever [/b]bought a movie. :blink: I own about six movies, but I think they were all gifts. Even my very favorite movies I don't want to watch often enough to spend the $15+ to actually buy. ([i]Cyrano de Bergerac[/i], [i]Porco Rosso[/i], some black&white comedies)

Wow. That is kinda weird. I saw this movie at the used bookstore, so now that I know I like it maybe I will buy it.

Ok, I remember I bought 'Superman Returns' from a place that had fake rentals--buy it and if you return it back in less than a week you get a partial refund--and ended up giving it to my brother. --Oh yeah, I bought "Bells of St. Mary's" because I saw it at a discount somewhere. OK. So I have bought one movie for myself.

IgnatiusofLoyola

It's been a LONG time since I saw the movie--I really liked it. But, I liked the book even better. (I know, I almost always say that.) I think that book was the start of my fascination with nuns.

osapientia

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='08 June 2010 - 01:47 AM' timestamp='1275972475' post='2125559']
It's been a LONG time since I saw the movie--I really liked it. But, I liked the book even better. (I know, I almost always say that.) I think that book was the start of my fascination with nuns.
[/quote]

A little personal story. I was in the hospital and TWA was on TV. I watched it and loved it as usual and also as usual it elicited in me the response..an incredible longing for the convent. No one else knew I was having these thoughts at the time. So I'm lying there in my hospital bed thinking.."Oh Come on Lord...REALLYL? Where do these feelings come from?" Then the MOMENT I hung up, I got a phone call. The call was from a woman who had been on a retreat with me the week before and she said...."I don't know why I've been thinking this and I just have to ask you.."Have you ever thought of being a nun". Well as you can imagine, I just about fell out of bed.

Another good one is [b]In This House of Brede[/b] with Diana Rigg. I'm sure many of you know it. I think it is a great portrayal of some of the difficult things about life in a cloister, how they are "worked through" and the way in which perseverance (by the Grace of God) produces remarkable results in us humans.

Pax,
Osap

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='07 June 2010 - 11:47 PM' timestamp='1275972475' post='2125559']
[/quote]

The book was hilarious. I still have mine from 1966. It is called "Life With Mother Superior" by Jane Trahey

I spent years trying to track down the book. I finally found it online but spent a small fortune for it. It is good, but for the first time ever I liked the movie better. Rosalind Russell was a perfect choice for Mother.

she_who_is_not

Favorite quote:

Mary: "I can't stuff His Holiness in a window!"
Rachel: "Well, you can't have Jack Lemmon"

laetitia crucis

[quote name='she_who_is_not' date='08 June 2010 - 12:00 PM' timestamp='1276012808' post='2125664']
Favorite quote:

Mary: "I can't stuff His Holiness in a window!"
Rachel: "Well, you can't have Jack Lemmon"
[/quote]

:lol: :clapping:

I think I'll have to watch this today.