An Old School Catholic Message Board

Not Enough Emphasis On Mary

MIKolbe

if it can be argued there can be too much emphasis on Mary, it can logically follow that some people can not show enough emphasis on Mary.

LouisvilleFan

I don't think "too much" is a good description. If it's true devotion to Mary centered on Christ, you cannot have too much. How can a person love too much?

However, we can have an inordinate or misdirected love for people and things other than God. If someone's devotion to Mary is actually centered on Mary instead of Jesus, it's idolatry even in the smallest portion.

Naturally, devotion to Mary should always be Christocentric. Christ must be the Beginning and the End of all our devotions. When this is the case, you cannot have enough devotion to Mary and all those Saints who help souls grow closer to God.

+Pax Domini,
Ben

thessalonian

Jesus we love you but we don't think much about your mother. Um, no that doesn't work to well. By the way the scriptures are pretty clear that Mary is the Mother of all of Jesus, not just his humanity. "How is it that the MOTHER OF MY LORD should come to me". Jesus is Lord because he is God. End of discussion. Yes Jesus is her savior, because she would have been incapable of not sinning without his grace. Why would we not believe he could give such a gift! We are to say "BLESSED ARE THOU AMONG WOMEN".

The Angel Gabriel addressed Mary as κεχαριτ ωμένη, which means [i]she who has been completely and enduringly graced[/i]. How can one refuse to give honor to Mary when God Himself bestowed such great honor upon her by making her the Theotokos.