An Old School Catholic Message Board

Olam Update

truthfinder

truthfinder

Just on the OLAM website, this summer they will be investing four of their postulants. Praise God.
[url="http://olamshrine.com/prayer.html"]The Four Sisters[/url] ( I hope the link works)

Two of the Sisters entered in 2008, their pictures are in the photo gallery. This means they've been postulants for two years (unless they had to leave for some reason and entered again).

Personally I think that it is better -meaning wiser- to have a longer time for discernment at the beginning of religious life in order to allow the grace of the vocation to really show up and settle with greater freedom.

The four postulants look very happy, it's beautiful.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='truthfinder' date='02 June 2010 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1275541004' post='2123042']
Just on the OLAM website, this summer they will be investing four of their postulants. Praise God.
[url="http://olamshrine.com/prayer.html"]The Four Sisters[/url] ( I hope the link works)

[/quote]

I found it interesting that each of the four postulants is going to be invested separately, even though the dates are very close, rather than as a group.

I can see benefits and drawbacks to both ways. In many ways, it would seem more personal and special to be the only one invested on a certain day. And, in some Orders, the reception of the habit does seem to be a more private occasion. Particularly for a clothing, being the only postulant being clothed would seem to make it more like a "wedding." I find that fitting, since becoming a novice signals in many (most?) Orders the day that the woman official joins the Order, and her Jubilee anniversary is counted from the day of her clothing, not the day she enters as a Postulant.

For other Orders, who have developed the tradition of having a ceremony combining clothing in the habit, first vows, and final professions into one ceremony, means that the ceremony can be larger, with more priests and bishops presiding, a larger choir, etc. In all, it makes for a very exciting and moving day, in, among other things, the Order is a visible witness to the world that vocations are not "dead"--that women are still very much deciding to give their lives to Christ, despite all the other options available. Also to them, in some ways, it might feel more meaningful (and fun!) to share the day with other Sisters who are taking the same step.

If any of you who have been in religious Orders, or who have been in discernment, have opinions one way or the other on this, I'd be interested to hear your perspectives.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='04 June 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1275681836' post='2123779']

For other Orders, who have developed the tradition of having a ceremony combining clothing in the habit, first vows, and final professions into one ceremony, means that the ceremony can be larger, with more priests and bishops presiding, a larger choir, etc. In all, it makes for a very exciting and moving day, in, among other things, the Order is a visible witness to the world that vocations are not "dead"--that women are still very much deciding to give their lives to Christ, despite all the other options available. Also to them, in some ways, it might feel more meaningful (and fun!) to share the day with other Sisters who are taking the same step.

If any of you who have been in religious Orders, or who have been in discernment, have opinions one way or the other on this, I'd be interested to hear your perspectives.
[/quote]

Basically I wouldn't mind either way. Investiture isn't a sacrament but for the ones I've received in a group like first Communion and Confirmation the presence of other people didn't make it any less special or valid. I was Baptised as a baby, in a group judging by the photos, so I don't remember that one. At each Mass we all receive the Eucharist at the same time and that doesn't take away from what's happening, unless people are being disruptive in some way. Still it's like being a part of a family so if I was accepted into religious life and had to share the ceremonies I wouldn't mind because they would be my new family I was sharing it with anyway. In a way it would be nice
to be part of a group to take the attention off the individual. If I got far enough to make it to any kind of ceremony I'd feel awkward in a way to have all that attention because i don't deserve it. With the community i'm interested in however alone would likely be what would happen.

Edited by vee8

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='04 June 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1275687204' post='2123799']
Basically I wouldn't mind either way. Investiture isn't a sacrament but for the ones I've received in a group like first Communion and Confirmation the presence of other people didn't make it any less special or valid. I was Baptised as a baby, in a group judging by the photos, so I don't remember that one. At each Mass we all receive the Eucharist at the same time and that doesn't take away from what's happening, unless people are being disruptive in some way. Still it's like being a part of a family so if I was accepted into religious life and had to share the ceremonies I wouldn't mind because they would be my new family I was sharing it with anyway. In a way it would be nice
to be part of a group to take the attention off the individual. If I got far enough to make it to any kind of ceremony I'd feel awkward in a way to have all that attention because i don't deserve it. With the community i'm interested in however alone would likely be what would happen.
[/quote]

Your points made a lot of sense. The reason I thought of the "group versus alone" issue was because clothing in the habit has a lot of similarities to a wedding (and in some communities, novices-to-be wear wedding dresses). It would have felt funny to get married in a group. On the other hand, when I was planning my wedding, there were times when I could see a lot of advantages to a double wedding, if only to have someone to share the experience. And, while some brides revel in the attention, I found it uncomfortable after awhile, and wanted to change clothes and leave. I got tired of being a "bride."

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='04 June 2010 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1275681836' post='2123779']
I found it interesting that each of the four postulants is going to be invested separately, even though the dates are very close, rather than as a group.

I can see benefits and drawbacks to both ways. In many ways, it would seem more personal and special to be the only one invested on a certain day. And, in some Orders, the reception of the habit does seem to be a more private occasion. Particularly for a clothing, being the only postulant being clothed would seem to make it more like a "wedding." I find that fitting, since becoming a novice signals in many (most?) Orders the day that the woman official joins the Order, and her Jubilee anniversary is counted from the day of her clothing, not the day she enters as a Postulant.

[/quote]

Generally speaking (and again, this is a generalization!) more cloistered communities have a separate ceremony since the Sisters enter on different days, and more active communities have a "combined" ceremony since the Sisters usually enter on one "entrance day."

In my previous community, an active/contemplative one, we had a "combined" ceremony since the Sisters entered on an "entrance day". (Of late it seems the Sisters can enter on different days if circumstances require, but they end up receiving the habit on the same day together).

For me, I preferred to have the ceremony with my other Sisters. It was great to share the day with those whom you'd gone through your whole postulancy with, and later, your whole novitiate (since First Professions were a "combined" ceremony as well) and it seemed like so much more of a ceremony for RELIGIOUS LIFE, vs. a wedding in the world (though a wedding is a sacrament and is a religious ceremony [and hopefully I know since I was recently married!!!], I'm speaking in terms of religious life, where the Sisters in our community and others, as well, do such things as wear their perpetual profession rings on their RIGHT hand, so as to show they are separated from the world, who in this country put their wedding ring on their left hand) --- and I liked that, as a Sister. Not sure I made myself clear on what I meant -- :lol: -- oh well!

I guess when you enter a community, you're prepared for the way they do those things, so you're more inclined to accept it and be happy with it. Of course there are benefits to both ways, and I'm sure a Sister is more concerned with being a Bride of Christ than with whether or not she has to share the day with another Bride of Christ! :lol:

laetitia crucis

From my experience, I think I tend to prefer big ceremonies to be in a group rather than individually -- this way the attention isn't solely on me. :sweat: However, as a spectator, I think it's really neat to see only one person being invested or professing vows, or becoming ordained. I like being able to focus on one person and share in that graced moment. (I hope that makes sense. :lol: )

But then again, I must say it's an AMAZING moment to witness several deacons and priests being ordained, or several Sisters/Nuns professing final vows. Just breathtaking.

In my former community, postulants would enter on different dates, but would usually be invested on the same day together and that group/class would then go on to profess First Vows in the same group. However, there was always an open-ness to "exceptions" -- say, if a Sister needed more time in the postulancy before being invested as a novice, or a novice needed additional time to discern before professing First Vows -- so these Sisters would be invested or profess Vows separately on a different date. :)

As for myself, I'm really grateful that I was able to be invested and later on profess First Vows within a group. I couldn't make it past the first few sentences of my profession formula before the tears began streaming and my voice cracked and stopped functioning. (Praise God the microphone was nowhere near me! :paperbag: ) I trust God heard me through my "twitterpated blushing bride" moment. :sweat:

Guest KevinSymonds

I remember Sr. Genevieve (the Apostolic Administrator of the OLAM Convent) telling me a funny story about receiving the vows of the OLAM nuns. She called a canon lawyer and said to him, "Am I able to do this [receive the vows], you know, I'm a Benedictine nun with vows of stability, conversion of life and obedience not poverty, chastity and obedience." He told her that yes, she had the canonical faculties as an Apost. Admin.

It was just funny how she told the story. Wonderful woman.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='KevinSymonds' date='05 June 2010 - 01:14 PM' timestamp='1275758091' post='2124118']
I remember Sr. Genevieve (the Apostolic Administrator of the OLAM Convent) telling me a funny story about receiving the vows of the OLAM nuns. She called a canon lawyer and said to him, "Am I able to do this [receive the vows], you know, I'm a Benedictine nun with vows of stability, conversion of life and obedience not poverty, chastity and obedience." He told her that yes, she had the canonical faculties as an Apost. Admin.

It was just funny how she told the story. Wonderful woman.
[/quote]

Is she a Benedictine from Sacred Heart in Cullman?