An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Long Is Your Thanksgiving After Mass?

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXMKGOdim-4[/media]

Edited by sacredheartandbloodofjesus

Usually 20 minutes on Sundays... Often if I go to daily mass I will make my holy hour afterward, so it would be longer then.

If I have to work on Sundays it is sometimes a little less... like 10 minutes, although I still try to stay recollected on my way to work. If I don't have to work I will stay for about 20 minutes, and then make a holy hour later on, usually after Vespers.

Edited by zunshynn

fides quarens intellectum

i'd say mine used to be much longer, but i get all too easily distracted by the after-Mass chatterers. i know it is a lame excuse, Lord. :(

fides quarens intellectum

i was thinking the same thing - a transmundane lane kinda topic, eh?

I voted rather quickly for 1-2 mins. But when I think of it I sing after the priest said isa missa est, so it's longer than that. I don't receive any sacraments, but many people go out right after the song is finished.

I actually don't know. :mellow:

Edit: After reading Hilde's post, yeah. I know I'm one of the last out, but still dunno how long that would be, to be honest.

Edited by BG45

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' date='27 May 2010 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1275005366' post='2119426']
i'd say mine used to be much longer, but i get all too easily distracted by the after-Mass chatterers. i know it is a lame excuse, Lord. :(
[/quote]

yeah, I know, that can be frustrating. The parish that I go to on Sundays, that isn't as much of an issue, because people do leave, (although they can tend to get loud in the vestibule and sometimes forget to shut the doors, :lol:, but my home parish tends to get really loud. Like people will stand right behind where someone is sitting trying to pray and carry on a 20-minute conversation! There's also alot of running around... Sometimes it's just saddening to see. I try to make praying for them part of my thankgsgiving, and that helps me.

IgnatiusofLoyola

If I remember correctly (it was awhile ago), but when I used to go to Mass with my ex-husband, it wasn't uncommon for people to leave the church directly after communion, and not wait for the final blessing.

Often people leave sports events, concerts, etc early, so that they can get out of the parking lot. Parking was not an issue at that church.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='zunshynn' date='27 May 2010 - 07:12 PM' timestamp='1275005526' post='2119430']
Why is this in the debate table?

:unsure:
[/quote]

Because pretty much every spiritual thread turns into a debate nowdays.

I think it's important to remember that most people have never learned anything about making a thanksgiving after Holy Communion. It's a pretty foreign concept to most people. Even when I entered the monastery, it was a long time before I got used to the silent time after mass for thanksgiving. I wish that priests would preach about it more often. It's such a beautiful time to be with Our Lord and to just converse with Him and... thank Him!

[quote name='zunshynn' date='27 May 2010 - 07:25 PM' timestamp='1275006348' post='2119443']
I think it's important to remember that most people have never learned anything about making a thanksgiving after Holy Communion. It's a pretty foreign concept to most people. Even when I entered the monastery, it was a long time before I got used to the silent time after mass for thanksgiving. I wish that priests would preach about it more often. It's such a beautiful time to be with Our Lord and to just converse with Him and... thank Him!
[/quote]

Ive been to a couple Masses where the Priest, after everyone has received the Eucharist, sits in the chair and does some vocal thanksgivings and prayers to help aid the congregation in thanksgiving. It was based of the gospel and readings and his prayers were almost prophetic in nature.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='27 May 2010 - 09:25 PM' timestamp='1275006331' post='2119442']
[/quote]

No they don't. :smokey:

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='27 May 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1275006598' post='2119447']
Ive been to a couple Masses where the Priest, after everyone has received the Eucharist, sits in the chair and does some vocal thanksgivings and prayers to help aid the congregation in thanksgiving. It was based of the gospel and readings and his prayers were almost prophetic in nature.
[/quote]

I need to remember that should I ever find myself ordained...

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='27 May 2010 - 06:25 PM' timestamp='1275006331' post='2119442']
[/quote]

We don't have to encourage it though.

IgnatiusofLoyola

One crafty way to get people to stay in their seats until after the service is over is to have a VERY good organist (and ideally, the very good organ to go with it). In the churches I attended where the organist was a true musician, it was very common for me to stay seated until the organist had finished playing because I was enjoying the music.

I'd be lying if I said it was a true thanksgiving as you have been talking about. But, on the other hand, it WAS sitting quietly and meditatively, and not rushing out of church or standing around talking. Not the ideal, but a step in the right direction.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola