An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Is More Merciful

MissScripture

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MissScripture

So, I got a fish, and there is something wrong with its fin and it's probably going to die soon. Right now, it keeps getting stuck to the fiddler in-take and is stuck there until I realize that he's stuck there and turn off the fiddler for a few minutes. Should I keep letting him get stuck or just take him out and let him suffocate?

could you put it in a container without a fiddler until it dies? Just a regular large bowl with regular water?

MissScripture

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='27 May 2010 - 07:26 PM' timestamp='1275002779' post='2119396']
...well, did he sign a DNR form?
[/quote]
He has a gimp fin, so he couldn't :mellow:

Perhaps you could put something in the water between the fish and the fi[color="#000000"]l[/color]ter (mesh or netting of some kind) that would prevent the fish from getting stuck. My brother put a little basket from a french fry machine in front of his filt[color="#000000"]e[/color]r to protect his fish when he had a tank years ago.

Edited by Apotheoun

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='27 May 2010 - 06:40 PM' timestamp='1275003639' post='2119405']
Perhaps you could put something in the water between the fish and the fi[color="#000000"]l[/color]ter (mesh or netting of some kind) that would prevent the fish from getting stuck. My brother put a little basket from a french fry machine in front of his filt[color="#000000"]e[/color]r to protect his fish when he had a tank years ago.
[/quote]

This sounds like a good idea.

MissScripture

Well, he's dead now, so, I guess it's a moot point. He was the replacement fish for the one I found dead this morning. Looks like I get to go back to the store again tomorrow to get a new one...

[quote name='MissScripture' date='27 May 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1275003834' post='2119407']
Well, he's dead now, so, I guess it's a moot point. He was the replacement fish for the one I found dead this morning. Looks like I get to go back to the store again tomorrow to get a new one...
[/quote]
:weep:

MissScripture

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='27 May 2010 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1275003977' post='2119409']
Look into getting (or making) a filt[color="#000000"]e[/color]r guard.
[/quote]
Well, it wasn't so much that the fiddler was what caused him to die (though it no doubt sped it along). I had the fiddler turned off when I first put him in the tank and he was already swimming funny, like his fin wasn't working right on one side. The reason he kept getting stuck to the fiddler was that he wasn't a strong enough swimmer to get away from the pull when he got too close. The other two fish haven't had any problem with the fiddler. And I don't *think* that was the issue with the first dead fish, as he was found on the other side of the tank, behind a tank ornament. That was Francis. This 2nd one to die was Francis II. If Francis III dies (after I get him, tomorrow), I'll try changing the name...

[quote name='MissScripture' date='27 May 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1275003834' post='2119407']
[/quote]

What type of fish is it? What you're describing sounds like something many fish get, that can be fixed with some kind of special food when they first start doing that. I don't know what it's called...

Goldfish tend to get it. One of my friends in elementary school won a goldfish at our church harvest festival when we were seven, and although everyone else's fish died within a few weeks, hers lived for something crazy like 12 years, just because someone told her how to take care of whatever he had.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='MissScripture' date='27 May 2010 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1275003834' post='2119407']
[/quote]
wow - that was fast.

MissScripture

[quote name='zunshynn' date='27 May 2010 - 08:10 PM' timestamp='1275005443' post='2119429']
What type of fish is it? What you're describing sounds like something many fish get, that can be fixed with some kind of special food when they first start doing that. I don't know what it's called...

Goldfish tend to get it. One of my friends in elementary school won a goldfish at our church harvest festival when we were seven, and although everyone else's fish died within a few weeks, hers lived for something crazy like 12 years, just because someone told her how to take care of whatever he had.
[/quote]
It was a neon tetra. And I'm thinking it was probably actually doing that at the store, and I just didn't notice, because I really didn't look at the fish. I actually hadn't even fed the fish anything, before it died. :( Poor fishie! And I have heard that fish really live a crazy long time if you take care of them right!

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' date='27 May 2010 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1275005528' post='2119431']
wow - that was fast.
[/quote]
No kidding! :fish: Just so Clare and Lucy don't go belly up! *crosses fingers* Then I'll feel like a real failure! lol