An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confirmation Age?

JustJump

MissScripture

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='24 May 2010 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1274748135' post='2116847']
I'm not a fan of 10th grade, frankly. My dd (who's in 8th) is very ready. I wish it were not so cookie-cuttery...
[/quote]
I agree. I think it would also discourage the attitude of going through confirmation, just because that is what you do for 10th grade religion classes. Which actually is kind of odd, if other places do it like my old parish did --confirmation was what they did for 10th grade religion classes, but for First Communion and First Reconciliation, they had special classes in addition to the regular religion classes...hmmm :think:

The younger the better. The kids could use the infusion of grace given in the sacrament.

Catholic Fox

I was confirmed at a very young age (three) right before I received the Sacrament of Anointing.

morostheos

I was confirmed in 11th grade and at the time I thought that was a really good age for confirmation because then you are really able to decide for yourself, it wasn't something you just did because everyone else did. But that's not the purpose of the sacrament of confirmation. Of course choosing the Catholic faith is part of it, but that is part of all of the sacraments. The primary purpose of confirmation is to receive the Holy Spirit and His grace. Because of that, I think it should be earlier - kids need all the help they can get!

I really like the whole coming of age/rite of passage thing, but I think the grace from the sacrament is so much more important.

tinytherese

What really frustrates me is when people don't attend mass, psr, ccd, or Catholic schools, but attend the sacramental preparation classes. Once that's over you don't see them again until they want a sacrament. After confirmation, you might not see them again until they want to get married in the Church to please their parents. I remember hearing one guy say how his mom made him go to Catholic schools and get confirmed, but in his heart he said he didn't believe in any of it. Once he went off to college on his own, he basically do whatever by then. That's so sad. I'll be a DRE in the future and I know that I'll have to deal with this.

I just had the idea that kids should go through a bunch of hoops and go through very thorough confirmation preparation like Catholics have to do at really orthodox parishes so that they can get married. It probably isn't legal, but I'd love to refuse someone from receiving confirmation who only sees it as graduation from Catholicism. :P I think that every parish should keep close track of whether or not someone who was baptized a Catholic has gone through every year of CCD or whatever and attend Mass on the days they are supposed to, unless they have a sufficient reason for not attending or if say they were traveling on vacation and attended another parish that weekend.

Catholic Fox

[quote name='tinytherese' date='24 May 2010 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1274758697' post='2117038']
What really frustrates me is when people don't attend mass, psr, ccd, or Catholic schools, but attend the sacramental preparation classes. Once that's over you don't see them again until they want a sacrament. After confirmation, you might not see them again until they want to get married in the Church to please their parents. I remember hearing one guy say how his mom made him go to Catholic schools and get confirmed, but in his heart he said he didn't believe in any of it. Once he went off to college on his own, he basically do whatever by then. That's so sad. I'll be a DRE in the future and I know that I'll have to deal with this.

[/quote]

We call those people "sprinkle Catholics".

They only attend church to be sprinkled with water, rice, and dirt.

truthfinder

I think it is much easier for "younger" children to understand being sealed by the Holy Spirit than the fact they are receiving the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus. I know in gr. 2 when I had first Communion, we were barely taught that the Host was Jesus. It was mostly, look how you form a community with your friends, family, schoolmates, city blah blah blah and oh yeah you should go to confession blah blah blah. I can understand having children getting into the habit of receiving young so that they are more likely to receive in the state of grace for a couple years at least. However, because most parents don't go to church, no habit is being formed except one of committing mortal sin.

I agree, we really need to get away from "cookie cutter" ages. I have some ccd children who are so perceptive and willing in the faith and others who act like they're 2 in regards to the faith (well, honestly, i think some of their parents are the same way). It's like the story of St. Pius X, the child was 4 when the Pope allowed him to make his first communion. Some children could receive from an early age and others need a very long time to mature ( not that Jesus should be denied, though). Hmm, more thought is necessary, and prayer.

[quote name='Catholic Fox' date='25 May 2010 - 01:09 AM' timestamp='1274764171' post='2117084']
We call those people "sprinkle Catholics".

They only attend church to be sprinkled with water, rice, and dirt.
[/quote]

Love it: Cafateria Catholics, Creaster Catholics, and Sprinkle Catholics...any other terms?

I don't know. Should grace really be given if the person doesn't understand it? And doesn't accept it? It seems disrespectful sort of? Yet it is God. He shouldn't be denied to anyone. But if we're so obsessed with not letting even a piece of the Host touch the ground, or a non Catholic receive the host???[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img]

[quote name='JustJump' date='25 May 2010 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1274792585' post='2117180']
Love it: Cafateria Catholics, Creaster Catholics, and Sprinkle Catholics...any other terms?
[/quote]
I'm kinda partial to "brothers and sisters in Christ"

:mellow:

dominicansoul

My mom was confirmed when she was an infant, and believe me, she was the holiest person I have ever met! A true Saint! (And I'm not just saying that 'cos she was my mom...)

I think it is important to understand that people do not need "formation" in order to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation...it isn't like Holy Communion, (where the person must believe and understand that the Holy Eucharist is God...)

...when you read in the New Testament of the Holy Spirit coming upon the early Christians, there was no formation involved, the Holy Spirit just came upon them and HE did all the work...I think in today's day and age, we need to be confirming children, to better prepare them for the spiritual battles they will be getting into as they reach the age of puberty...

I teach catechism, and I usually have a classroom filled with teenagers who "have been there, done that.." and I think its sad that the Church could've better armed them for the battles they have already fought and lost...

I'm all for Confirmation for infants and children...

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='25 May 2010 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1274793493' post='2117187']
My mom was confirmed when she was an infant, and believe me, she was the holiest person I have ever met! A true Saint! (And I'm not just saying that 'cos she was my mom...)

I think it is important to understand that people do not need "formation" in order to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation...it isn't like Holy Communion, (where the person must believe and understand that the Holy Eucharist is God...)

...when you read in the New Testament of the Holy Spirit coming upon the early Christians, there was no formation involved, the Holy Spirit just came upon them and HE did all the work...I think in today's day and age, we need to be confirming children, to better prepare them for the spiritual battles they will be getting into as they reach the age of puberty...

I teach catechism, and I usually have a classroom filled with teenagers who "have been there, done that.." and I think its sad that the Church could've better armed them for the battles they have already fought and lost...

I'm all for Confirmation for infants and children...
[/quote]

Hmmm I hadn't thought of it like that...

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='25 May 2010 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1274744504' post='2116781']
I think that Confirmation should normally be administered before the reception of first holy Communion in order to preserve the traditional order of the sacraments of Christian initiation.
[/quote]
Agreed. I'm very glad our Bishops are working on restoring the order (right now Confirmation is usually after First Holy Communion).

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='25 May 2010 - 01:54 AM' timestamp='1274748861' post='2116858']
The younger the better. The kids could use the infusion of grace given in the sacrament.
[/quote]
Definitely agree. I personally wouldn't mind if it were done in the same time frame as the Eastern Rites.

[quote name='JustJump' date='24 May 2010 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1274748501' post='2116855']
I can personally say I just went along with the flow. And so have so many others.
[/quote]

This is why I think it should be EARLIER, rather than later.

Kids NEED the graces of the sacrament of Confirmation to deal with all the horrible vices they will encounter in their high school years. High school is entirely too late for someone to be confirmed. Remember, in the Eastern Rites a child is confirmed as an infant! (Though I'm Latin Rite through and through, that is one reason that actually makes me lean towards Byzantine...!) I wish the Latin Rite would confirm infants. (Interestingly enough, if an infant is in danger of death, the child is supposed to receive the sacrament of Confirmation.)

My previous religious Superior, Mother Mary Gabriel, was principal at a school in which there were children of the Latin, Melkite, and Maronite Rites. She said she always knew which children were Melkite or Maronite, because it seemed like the graces they had received in being confirmed as an infant were almost tangible, as opposed to those children in the Latin rite who had yet to receive Confirmation.

(edit for clarity)

Edited by CherieMadame