An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confirmation Age?

JustJump

So, I was confirmed in the 3rd grade. And I'm curious if this is normal? I personally feel that it should be older than eight.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img]

I think that Confirmation should normally be administered before the reception of first holy Communion in order to preserve the traditional order of the sacraments of Christian initiation.

Edited by Resurrexi

MissScripture

[quote name='CatherineM' date='24 May 2010 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1274744888' post='2116791']
I agree it should either be earlier or later. I hate the way we do it now.
[/quote]
When do you do it?

At the parish I was confirmed in, we did it in 10th grade. Where I am now, they do it in 8th grade.

Overall, I think there needs to be a lot better explanationg given to people about what Confirmation IS. Seems like a lot of people view it as a sort of "graduation" or almost a re-baptism.

In the Eastern tradition babies receive the mystery of chrismation (and eucharist) right after being baptized.

As far as the Western Church is concerned, I believe that children should receive confirmation before first communion.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='24 May 2010 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1274744504' post='2116781']
I think that Confirmation should normally be administered before the reception of first holy Communion in order to preserve the traditional order of the sacraments of Christian initiation.
[/quote]

That's the way the Anglicans did it when I was growing up. (I'm not sure what common practice is now.) I was 12 or 13 when I was confirmed and had my first communion.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='24 May 2010 - 05:41 PM' timestamp='1274744504' post='2116781']
[/quote]
I would give you a +1, but I already used my positive vote today.

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='24 May 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1274744806' post='2116788']
Someone call Ripley's...

I agree with Rexi....
[/quote]
The devil must be feeling a very cold breeze today. :D

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='24 May 2010 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1274745448' post='2116812']
I have no idea what Rexi is feeling.

:mellow:
[/quote]
Ouch!

:biglol:

I had holy communion in 2nd grade...

erg. It really bothers me. I think confirmation and communion should be saved for later. I like the idea of 10th grade.

[quote name='JustJump' date='24 May 2010 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1274747648' post='2116841']
I had holy communion in 2nd grade...

erg. It really bothers me. I think confirmation and communion should be saved for later. I like the idea of 10th grade.
[/quote]

Confirmation and first holy Communion were usually received at age 12-14 in the West before the pontificate of St. Pius X.

homeschoolmom

I'm not a fan of 10th grade, frankly. My dd (who's in 8th) is very ready. I wish it were not so cookie-cuttery...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='24 May 2010 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1274748135' post='2116847']
I'm not a fan of 10th grade, frankly. My dd (who's in 8th) is very ready. I wish it were not so cookie-cuttery...
[/quote]

I don't know, I think it should be. Accepting something that big into your life should be well thought through. And for a lot of kids that just go through the typical Catholic schooling without too much of it backed up at home. I can personally say I just went along with the flow. And so have so many others. Granted a lot of people are ready younger, but I find them the ones who were raised with a very strong faith at home. And even then I know plenty who have turned away in thier later teens. Some parents set thier kids up for the classes just becuase it's what they went through.

Edited by JustJump