An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion W/out Confession

mortify

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='mintavia' date='07 June 2010 - 02:12 PM' timestamp='1275876720' post='2125034']
Imperfect contrition means that you fear Gods justice so you confess. While not Ideal it is still valid contrition. Perfect contrition means you are sorry because you hurt our Lords feelings.
No human save Our Lady is truly worthy to recieve...but Our Lord bids us to do it anyway. He desired it so much he died for us. Out of obediance and love we come to the alter...not because we are worthy.
Peace.
[/quote]

Welcome to PM and thanks for your explanation. I would have thought that confessing out of fear of God or to go to heaven would not have been considered to be contrite at all.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='07 June 2010 - 02:06 AM' timestamp='1275890813' post='2125122']
Welcome to PM and thanks for your explanation. I would have thought that confessing out of fear of God or to go to heaven would not have been considered to be contrite at all.
[/quote]

It is contrition because one has remorse for their sins, it is however imperfect because the motive is fearing the loss of heaven and dreading the pains of hell. In the Sacrament of confession this type of contrition suffices to be reconciled with God. Perfect contrition is remorse over offending God who is Love and deserves all of our love.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='06 June 2010 - 03:30 PM' timestamp='1275849050' post='2124655']
From what I understand, grave sin is not the same as mortal sin. One can commit grave sin without having full knowledge and/or full consent, and the sin is venial.

Edit: Or am I confusing "grave sin" with "grave matter"?

Edit again: I pretty much said what Rex just said. I think.
[/quote]

According to what Rex is saying, the two are the same, but what you describe above is not grave sin, but venial sin. Grave sin is just another word for mortal sin.

The wording is easily confused though.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='mortify' date='24 May 2010 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1274728128' post='2116634']

1. Have any of you been told it's ok to receive the Eucharist without Sacramental Confession?

2. Is this an erroneous teaching? Is Sacramental Confession absolutely necessary or perfect sorrow with a desire for the sacrament sufficient?

[/quote]
1. I have been told that if I'm in doubt about whether I am in a state of mortal sin and can't get to Confession before Mass, there is no need to deny myself Communion. If upon reflection and eventual Confession I find I was wrong...well, I didn't know at the time.

2. I dunno.

Mark of the Cross

If one has not committed any mortal sins, only venial sins is it still necessary to go to confession?

Out of interest. Catholic missions in poor countries use illegal software and they would have to be pretty dumb to be unaware of this. This is theft of intellectual property and is stealing. is it sinful and is it mortal or venial. Actually most software is dated in the order of 10years so I'm not sure if that's illegal or not but I think technically the rights always stand.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='08 June 2010 - 12:39 AM' timestamp='1275968360' post='2125540']
If one has not committed any mortal sins, only venial sins is it still necessary to go to confession?[/quote]

It's a good idea, but it isn't necessary.

That said, if you aren't going on a regular basis, your ability to discern what is mortal or venial will decline.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='08 June 2010 - 12:39 AM' timestamp='1275968360' post='2125540']
Out of interest. Catholic missions in poor countries use illegal software and they would have to be pretty dumb to be unaware of this. This is theft of intellectual property and is stealing. is it sinful and is it mortal or venial. Actually most software is dated in the order of 10years so I'm not sure if that's illegal or not but I think technically the rights always stand.[/quote]

Definitely venial :) That's if the software isn't free domain anyway. Either way, I highly doubt the copyright owners are all that concerned. I have to wonder what good ten year old software is to them?