An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion W/out Confession

mortify

[quote name='fides' Jack' date='29 May 2010 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1275185913' post='2120477']
Actually, the code does. Read the explanation underneath it.[/quote]

The only thing under Can. 1364 §1 in the [i]Code of Canon Law[/i] itself is Can. 1364 §1, which states, "If contumacy of long duration or the gravity of scandal demands it, other penalties can be added, including dismissal from the clerical state." Now, you may have a commentary which gives an interpretation of Can. 1364, but that commentary is not part of the text of the [i]Code[/i] itself.

[quote name='fides' Jack' date='29 May 2010 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1275185913' post='2120477']
So, someone who is 3 years old, and is a Protestant, is committing a sin? You can be in heresy without knowing it, and while trying to follow Truth the best you know how. And maybe there's a sin involved at that level, but surely not for those who couldn't possibly know better.
[/quote]

A person who is under the age of reason is not capable of intellectually denying a truth of the faith. Such a person is, thus, not able to be a heretic, since, by definition, heresy is denial of a truth of the divine and Catholic faith. (CIC, can. 751).

Edited by Resurrexi

fides' Jack

[quote name='Catholic Fox' date='29 May 2010 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1275186010' post='2120478']
Yes, they are committing a sin. Their culpability may be reduced, but they are still committing a sin.
[/quote]

Resurrexi made the comment that "Being a Protestant is a grave sin [i]per se[/i]." That's what I'm arguing with. It can be, but it certainly isn't a mortal sin for a 3 year old who has never heard of the Catholic Church to be Protestant. And I have a hard time believing that it's any sin at all, since it's not a choice made by them. In fact, let's analyze that.

How can a sin be venial? First, the sin itself is not a grave sin (mortal), or second, (if it is seriously wrong) the sinner must not be aware that the sin is seriously wrong, or must not give full consent to the sin. If a child doesn't know it's wrong in the first place, they certainly can't be committing a grave sin, which completely nullifies the argument that "Being a Protestant is a grave sin [i]per se[/i]."

What is a sin? Any WILLFUL thought, desire, word, action, or omission forbidden by the law of God. The 3 year old is not aware that what they are doing is forbidden by the law of God. Therefore, it is not willful. Therefore, it is NOT a sin.

[quote name='fides' Jack' date='29 May 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1275186953' post='2120482']
Resurrexi made the comment that "Being a Protestant is a grave sin [i]per se[/i]." That's what I'm arguing with. It can be, but it certainly isn't a mortal sin for a 3 year old who has never heard of the Catholic Church to be Protestant. And I have a hard time believing that it's any sin at all, since it's not a choice made by them. In fact, let's analyze that. [/quote]

As I said above, though, a three-year-old cannot technically be a Protestant.

Protestantism is a heresy
Heresy is a denial of a truth that must be believed with the divine and Catholic faith.
Ergo, Protestantism is a denial of truths of the divine and Catholic faith.

It is an act of intellect to deny a truth.
A person without use of reason is not capable of making an act of intellect.
Ergo, a person without the use of reason is not capable of denying a truth.

Q.E.D. no three-year-old (unless he obtained use of reason much earlier than most children) is capable of truly being Protestant.

[quote name='fides' Jack' date='29 May 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1275186953' post='2120482']
What is a sin? Any WILLFUL thought, desire, word, action, or omission forbidden by the law of God. The 3 year old is not aware that what they are doing is forbidden by the law of God. Therefore, it is not willful. Therefore, it is NOT a sin.
[/quote]

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (together with SS. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas) defines a sin as, "an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law." ([i]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/i], no. 1849; St. Augustine, [i]Contra Faustum[/i], 22; St. Thomas Aquinas, [i]Summa Theologiæ[/i], I-II, 71, 6.)

Even if not willfully done, an "utterance, deed, or desire contrary to the eternal law" is a sin, albeit a material (as opposed to a formal) one.

Edited by Resurrexi

fides' Jack

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='29 May 2010 - 09:26 PM' timestamp='1275186383' post='2120480']
The only thing under Can. 1364 §1 in the [i]Code of Canon Law[/i] itself is Can. 1364 §1, which states, "If contumacy of long duration or the gravity of scandal demands it, other penalties can be added, including dismissal from the clerical state." Now, you may have a commentary which gives an interpretation of Can. 1364, but that commentary is not part of the text of the [i]Code[/i] itself.

A person who is under the age of reason is not capable of intellectually denying a truth of the faith. Such a person is, thus, not able to be a heretic, since, by definition, heresy is denial of a truth of the divine and Catholic faith. (CIC, can. 751).
[/quote]

And underneath 751, it states: "Those baptized persons who have fallen into heresy or schism in good faith do not incur this censure; CF. [i]UR[/i] 3, and [i]Ad totam Ecclesiam[/i] 19, 14-05-1967 (AAS 59 [1957] 581; CLD 6 [1963-1967] 723)." This might not be coming from an actual precept of the [i]Code of Canon Law[/i], but it still comes with the authority of the Church, and from official Church documents. It is the truth, and must be believed, even if it has not been defined in [i]ex cathedra[/i].

You're right, that a person who is under the age of reason is not capable of intellectually denying a truth of the faith. So then, the line for when it becomes a sin is drawn when the child reaches the age of reason? The Church recognizes that age, or used to, as age 7. So, let's take an 8 year old, who still has no control over where he goes to Church. More than that, he still trusts his parents, who don't go to Church at all, and have told him that it's meaningless. Are you saying that he is committing a grave sin? No. My point still stands. Being Protestant is not a grave sin, in itself.

Let's take another example. In the East, let's say China, before people there even knew about Christianity, they had their own beliefs. And then along came Pastor Joe, who was Protestant. Many people were converted to Protestantism before they even knew about the Catholic Church. They were certainly past the age of reason. Is that a grave sin for them, to convert to Christianity (Protestantism)?

But I'm glad you're starting to see the light here. You had made the comment that being a Protestant is a grave sin. Now you're admitting that it only includes those who are past the age of reason. Might we also include those who don't know any better, by virtue of their circumstances?

fides' Jack

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='29 May 2010 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1275187782' post='2120492']
As I said above, though, a three-year-old cannot technically be a Protestant.

Q.E.D. no three-year-old (unless he obtained use of reason much earlier than most children) is capable of truly being Protestant.

[/quote]

Thank you.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='29 May 2010 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1275187782' post='2120492']

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (together with SS. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas) defines a sin as, "an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law." ([i]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/i], no. 1849; St. Augustine, [i]Contra Faustum[/i], 22; St. Thomas Aquinas, [i]Summa Theologiæ[/i], I-II, 71, 6.)

Even if not willfully done, an "utterance, deed, or desire contrary to the eternal law" is a sin, albeit a material (as opposed to a formal) one.
[/quote]

My definition was from the Baltimore Catechism, which still stands.

fides' Jack

[quote]“Cardinal” Joseph Ratzinger, The Meaning of Christian Brotherhood, pp. 87-88: “The difficulty in the way of giving an answer is a profound one. Ultimately it is due to the fact that there is no appropriate category in Catholic thought for the phenomenon of Protestantism today (one could say the same of the relationship to the separated churches of the East). It is obvious that the old category of ‘heresy’ is no longer of any value. Heresy, for Scripture and the early Church, includes the idea of a personal decision against the unity of the Church, and heresy’s characteristic is pertinacia, the obstinacy of him who persists in his own private way. This, however, cannot be regarded as an appropriate description of the spiritual situation of the Protestant Christian. In the course of a now centuries-old history, Protestantism has made an important contribution to the realization of Christian faith, fulfilling a positive function in the development of the Christian message and, above all, often giving rise to a sincere and profound faith in the individual non-Catholic Christian, whose separation from the Catholic affirmation has nothing to do with the pertinacia characteristic of heresy. Perhaps we may here invert a saying of St. Augustine’s: that an old schism becomes a heresy. The very passage of time alters the character of a division, so that an old division is something essentially different from a new one. Something that was once rightly condemned as heresy cannot later simply become true, but it can gradually develop its own positive ecclesial nature, with which the individual is presented as his church and in which he lives as a believer, not as a heretic. This organization of one group, however, ultimately has an effect on the whole. The conclusion is inescapable, then: Protestantism today is something different from heresy in the traditional sense, a phenomenon whose true theological place has not yet been determined.”[/quote] [url="http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=6670684"]Source[/url]

[quote name='fides' Jack' date='29 May 2010 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1275188283' post='2120507']
And underneath 751, it states: "Those baptized persons who have fallen into heresy or schism in good faith do not incur this censure; CF. [i]UR[/i] 3, and [i]Ad totam Ecclesiam[/i] 19, 14-05-1967 (AAS 59 [1957] 581; CLD 6 [1963-1967] 723)."[/quote]

It is true that, under current canon law, only those who were raised Catholic (or who converted to the Catholic religion), and then later committed heresy fall under ecclesiastical censure (the censure in question being [i]latæ sententiæ[/i] excommunication). This means that, under current canon law, a person who was raised Protestant does not fall under any canonical penalty for being Protestant. However, this does not mean that Protestants do not commit heresy (either material or formal) by their denial of one or more truths of the Catholic faith.

[quote name='fides' Jack' date='29 May 2010 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1275188283' post='2120507']
This might not be coming from an actual precept of the [i]Code of Canon Law[/i], but it still comes with the authority of the Church, and from official Church documents. It is the truth, and must be believed, even if it has not been defined in [i]ex cathedra[/i].[/quote]

While the quotation in question is certainly an authoritative legislative statement, it seems like you are placing it on the same level as a dogmatic teaching, which it is not.

You're right, that a person who is under the age of reason is not capable of intellectually denying a truth of the faith. So then, the line for when it becomes a sin is drawn when the child reaches the age of reason? The Church recognizes that age, or used to, as age 7. So, let's take an 8 year old, who still has no control over where he goes to Church. More than that, he still trusts his parents, who don't go to Church at all, and have told him that it's meaningless. Are you saying that he is committing a grave sin? No. My point still stands. Being Protestant is not a grave sin, in itself.[/quote]

Whether or not one chooses to commit heresy, the action of committing heresy is in and of itself a sin of grave matter. It is no different than how adultery is [i]per se[/i] a grave sin. Obviously there may be circumstances during which adultery may be material rather than formal (if, for example, someone slept with a woman who was not his wife, thinking that she actually was his wife). However, even if one is not culpable for a sin, that does not change the fact that the action itself is sinful.

But I'm glad you're starting to see the light here. You had made the comment that being a Protestant is a grave sin. Now you're admitting that it only includes those who are past the age of reason.
[/quote]

Actually, what I said was that those under the age of reason can't be Protestant because being Protestant is an act of intellect.

[quote name='fides' Jack' date='29 May 2010 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1275189019' post='2120516']
[url="http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=6670684"]Source[/url]
[/quote]

I do not necessarily agree with Joseph Ratzinger's opinion as a private theologian (nor am I under any obligation to agree with it). It is important to note, though, that he never states that Protestantism is not a heresy, canonically speaking. What he states is that "Protestantism today is something different from heresy in the traditional sense." Obviously the "traditional" sense of [i]heresy[/i] is not the same as the technical and canonical sense of that word.

fides' Jack

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='29 May 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1275189404' post='2120520']
It is true that, under current canon law, only those who were raised Catholic (or who converted to the Catholic religion), and then later committed heresy fall under ecclesiastical censure (the censure in question being [i]latæ sententiæ[/i] excommunication). This means that, under current canon law, a person who was raised Protestant does not fall under any canonical penalty for being Protestant. However, this does not mean that Protestants do not commit heresy (either material or formal) by their denial of one or more truths of the Catholic faith.

While the quotation in question is certainly an authoritative legislative statement, it seems like you are placing it on the same level as a dogmatic teaching, which it is not.

Whether or not one chooses to commit heresy, the action of committing heresy is in and of itself a sin of grave matter. It is no different than how adultery is [i]per se[/i] a grave sin. Obviously there may be circumstances during which adultery may be material rather than formal (if, for example, someone slept with a woman who was not his wife, thinking that she actually was his wife). However, even if one is not culpable for a sin, that does not change the fact that the action itself is sinful.

Actually, what I said was that those under the age of reason can't be Protestant because being Protestant is an act of intellect.
[/quote]

S'mores, you're changing your story.

This thread has turned into a childish argument (I admit, I am guilty). Therefore, I am not responding because it is accomplishing nothing.

Thank you, though, for fighting for what you believe to be true. In fact, you remind me of myself, when I was your age. :P

Edited by fides' Jack

[quote name='fides' Jack' date='29 May 2010 - 10:28 PM' timestamp='1275190104' post='2120530']
S'mores, you're changing your story. [/quote]

No, I am not. I have consistently affirmed throughout this thread that heresy is a grave sin [i]per se[/i], that Protestantism is a heresy, and that those under the age of reason are not able to be Protestant.

Additionally, demeaning names are not appreciated by most people (and I count myself among that number).

[quote name='fides' Jack' date='29 May 2010 - 10:28 PM' timestamp='1275190104' post='2120530']
This thread has turned into a childish argument (I admit, I am guilty). Therefore, I am not responding because it is accomplishing nothing.
[/quote]

I like to argue for the sake of arguing. I enjoy it, and I consider it good practice.

Let my make myself clear so that all may see that I have said the same things throughout this entire thread:

I affirm that being Protestant is always a sin of grave matter [i]per se[/i], for committing heresy is always a grave sin in and of itself. Obviously, however, in many circumstance, heresy can be a material sin rather than a formal one.

I affirm that committing heresy in an act of intellect. It is, thus, completely impossible for a person under the age of reason to be a Protestant since a person under the age of reason cannot make an act of intellect. There is no such thing as a three-year-old Protestant, at least in any meaningful sense.

Edited by Resurrexi

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='29 May 2010 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1275190515' post='2120533']
Additionally, demeaning names are not appreciated by most people (and I count myself among that number).
[/quote]

I am sorry for that - blame that one on me (obviously, he wasn't even around on this phorum back then). It was meant as an endearment. I did not know you would take that to be demeaning.

S'mores are tasty. :mellow:

"I like to argue for the sake of arguing. I enjoy it, and I consider it good practice."

Most people argue for the sake of convincing other people. There are enough serious arguments in the world that few people really want to engage it in as mere swordplay. If you consider arguing for the sake fo argument good practice, then you ought to also practice the etiquette of argument - granting points that have been made well, knowing when to conclude, and doing so gracefully.

[quote name='Luigi' date='29 May 2010 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1275193930' post='2120572']
Most people argue for the sake of convincing other people. [/quote]

You clearly have little experience with competitive debate.

Point taken. But then, I'm not a very competitive person. I always think that more can be accomplished through cooperation thatn through competition.