An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion W/out Confession

mortify

Hi guys,

On more than one occassion a priest has told me that I don't have to [i]"hold one sacrament hostage to another,"[/i] meaning, I can receive communion even if I need to go to confession (i.e. in a state of mortal sin) as long as I intend to go later. Now I suppose I see some basis for this thinking, since extra sacramental justification is bestowed on a person with perfect sorrow and a desire for the sacrament of confession, but I had always thought *sacramental* reconciliation was necessary for communion.

1. Have any of you been told it's ok to receive the Eucharist without Sacramental Confession?

2. Is this an erroneous teaching? Is Sacramental Confession absolutely necessary or perfect sorrow with a desire for the sacrament sufficient?

Thanks,
Mort

1) no, I have not been told that, but I have been told what I am confessing is not a mortal sin. I have been told an earnest Act of Contrition will suffice, but to get to confession asap..which of course left me more confused (but then i confuse easily)

2) I am unsure if it is erroneous, but it seems like an area i would 'play safely'. Instead of looking how unreconsiled can I be and still legally receive; turn it around and live the spirit of the law and strive to be fully reconsiled and receive.

Not sure if I helped, but just my 2 cezents.

Catholic Fox

I have never been told this. In fact, I've been told on numerous occasions just the opposite.

I'd bet money that this is an erroneous teaching. You cannot receive the Body and Blood of our Lord if you're in a state of mortal sin.

MissScripture

[quote name='mortify' date='24 May 2010 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1274728128' post='2116634']
Hi guys,

On more than one occassion a priest has told me that I don't have to [i]"hold one sacrament hostage to another,"[/i] meaning, I can receive communion even if I need to go to confession (i.e. in a state of mortal sin) as long as I intend to go later. Now I suppose I see some basis for this thinking, since extra sacramental justification is bestowed on a person with perfect sorrow and a desire for the sacrament of confession, but I had always thought *sacramental* reconciliation was necessary for communion.

1. Have any of you been told it's ok to receive the Eucharist without Sacramental Confession?

2. Is this an erroneous teaching? Is Sacramental Confession absolutely necessary or perfect sorrow with a desire for the sacrament sufficient?

Thanks,
Mort
[/quote]
From my understanding, this is one of those extenuating circumstance cases. Like, you for some serious reason were not able to go to confession, and fully intend to go as soon as you possibly can afterward. (And personally, if I were to do this, would probably confess that I had taken communion when I was not in a state of grace, at said confession.) I'm not sure where I get my understanding of that from, though. I just remember hearing it explained that way somewhere along the line. :idontknow: So, take it with a grain of salt.

"A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible." ([i]Code of Canon Law[/i], can. 916)

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='24 May 2010 - 10:11 PM' timestamp='1274753508' post='2116915']
"A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible." ([i]Code of Canon Law[/i], can. 916)
[/quote]

I wonder what grave reason would make the above said case justifiable.

So it looks like if it is permissible, it is under extraordinary circumstnace.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='mortify' date='24 May 2010 - 11:48 PM' timestamp='1274755690' post='2116963']
I wonder what grave reason would make the above said case justifiable.

So it looks like if it is permissible, it is under extraordinary circumstnace.
[/quote]

That's my understanding. Extraordinary circumstances. Although I've always been confused as to what that might be. I'm thinking maybe something like in the villages in Africa, where Mass in only celebrated once or twice a year and one might not be able to confess before Mass (lots of confessions too, I'd imagine).

Catholic Fox

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='24 May 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1274761824' post='2117070']
That's my understanding. Extraordinary circumstances. Although I've always been confused as to what that might be. I'm thinking maybe something like in the villages in Africa, where Mass in only celebrated once or twice a year and one might not be able to confess before Mass (lots of confessions too, I'd imagine).
[/quote]

Good rule of thumb: If you have to ask, it's probably not an extraordinary circumstance.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='mortify' date='24 May 2010 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1274728128' post='2116634']

[/quote]

1. Yes, I've been told this by an orthodox priest. I was scheduling Confession with him every two or three weeks, so it was understood that by receiving Communion with the intention to confess my sins that my intention was sincere. If you have no idea when you'll go to Confession next, or you've fallen away from a regular schedule, then a well formed conscience should probably lead you to abstain.

2. I doubt there's a definite answer. Baptism is absolutely necessary for justification, yet that doesn't restrict the grace of Baptism to the sacrament. If you intended to receive Confession before Mass and it wasn't available or too many people were in line, you should rest assured that God can apply that grace to your Communion knowing that you made a good faith effort to confess before Mass.

But, the best advice is to have a regular confessor who knows you and your spiritual situation. We aren't nearly as accountable for your salvation as he is ;)

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='25 May 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1274832348' post='2117693']
1. Yes, I've been told this by an orthodox priest. I was scheduling Confession with him every two or three weeks, so it was understood that by receiving Communion with the intention to confess my sins that my intention was sincere. If you have no idea when you'll go to Confession next, or you've fallen away from a regular schedule, then a well formed conscience should probably lead you to abstain.
[/quote]

That priest was wrong if we are talking about mortal sin in this situation. Unless there is a [i]grave[/i] reason, then it is incredibly inappropriate to receive Communion before sacramental Confession if one has committed a mortal sin.

Edited by Resurrexi

fides' Jack

Is this seriously an issue that is unclear? I'm very sorry if I'm being rude, but it is a greater sin - a sin a sacrilege - to receive Holy Communion unworthily. This is a matter that every Catholic should understand perfectly.

Perhaps the priest didn't understand the question properly? Or his answer was misunderstood? There is no doubt that going to Communion while in the state of Mortal sin is never appropriate.

It has been said, however, that given an [i]intention[/i] to go to Confession that God would forgive the sinner. And it's been suggested that in the case of a person trying to go to Confession before Mass, but not having enough time, he would be able to receive Communion. This is NOT a sufficient justification for what the Code of Canon Law permits. It is talking about life and death cases, not running a little late.

[quote name='fides' Jack' date='25 May 2010 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1274837712' post='2117845']
It has been said, however, that given an [i]intention[/i] to go to Confession that God would forgive the sinner.
[/quote]

That's only the case if one has perfect contrition.

"When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called "perfect" (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible." ([i]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/i], no. 1452)

Additionally, even if one has been forgiven his mortal sin by perfect contrition and the intention to confess as soon as possible, one is still forbidden from receiving holy Communion until he has received absolution. Only for a [i]grave[/i] reason may one receive holy Communion if one has had his sins forgive through perfect contrition and has not yet been absolved.

IgnatiusOfAntioch

[quote name='mortify' date='24 May 2010 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1274728128' post='2116634']
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Mort
[/quote]

Yes, but that was by the same priest who believes that "we can't refuse to give the Eucharist to [u]anyone[/u]." And he doesn't mean Catholics. The result of the state of formation of our priests in the '70's. I've been told that it's getting better, but that means we have another 20 - 30 years of this. This causes so much anguish and scandal. The Bishop has been informed of this many times, but nothing happens.

[quote name='fides' Jack' date='25 May 2010 - 07:35 PM' timestamp='1274837712' post='2117845']
Is this seriously an issue that is unclear? I'm very sorry if I'm being rude, but it is a greater sin - a sin a sacrilege - to receive Holy Communion unworthily. This is a matter that every Catholic should understand perfectly.

Perhaps the priest didn't understand the question properly? Or his answer was misunderstood? There is no doubt that going to Communion while in the state of Mortal sin is never appropriate.

It has been said, however, that given an [i]intention[/i] to go to Confession that God would forgive the sinner. And it's been suggested that in the case of a person trying to go to Confession before Mass, but not having enough time, he would be able to receive Communion. This is NOT a sufficient justification for what the Code of Canon Law permits. It is talking about life and death cases, not running a little late.
[/quote]

This is true, however, it's important to remember that the priest who gave this advice knew the context of the situation, and we do not. It is quite possible that the confessor, given his knowledge of the penitent, may have recognized that full culpability was not involved in this particular person's situation, for whatever reason, even if it was objectively grave matter, in which case he would know if this person should be advised to continue receiving Holy Communion under the circumstances.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='25 May 2010 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1274832348' post='2117693']

2. I doubt there's a definite answer. Baptism is absolutely necessary for justification, yet that doesn't restrict the grace of Baptism to the sacrament. If you intended to receive Confession before Mass and it wasn't available or too many people were in line, you should rest assured that God can apply that grace to your Communion knowing that you made a good faith effort to confess before Mass.

But, the best advice is to have a regular confessor who knows you and your spiritual situation. We aren't nearly as accountable for your salvation as he is ;)
[/quote]

I think LouisVilleFan said it best ... his confessor knows his spiritual situation, and the best advice is to ask your regular confessor.

Having said that -- of course, a mortal sin is a mortal sin. But -- there are extremes ... in that I'm sure that there are those that have such a lax conscious that they no longer really care about mortal sin and continue receive Jesus in the Eucharist. And there are others with such scrupulocity that refrain from communion because they may think that a sin that should be categorized as venial is mortal. That's where a confesor comes in (and if LouisVilleFan's confessor gave him the advice not to abstain from communion, it is probably with good reason).