An Old School Catholic Message Board

Neo-Catholicism

Laudate_Dominum

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='10 May 2010 - 02:19 AM' timestamp='1273468791' post='2107972']
There are lots of different types of carrots though. There are steamed carrots, baked carrots, wild carrots, and baby carrots. I don't think there's anything wrong with differentiating between the different kinds of carrots, as long as one acknowledges that each carrot is indeed a carrot.
[/quote]

Very true.

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='Raphael' date='10 May 2010 - 01:08 AM' timestamp='1273468084' post='2107964']
I think this term was an invention of people who wanted to set orthodox Catholics against other orthodox Catholics. Both the "traditional Catholics" and the "neo-Catholics" mentioned in the article are perfectly orthodox and someone is making a false dichotomy trying to make "being Catholic" about something aside from actually being Catholic.

I'm going to define "neo-Catholics" as those who think Pope Benedict is cooler than Pope John Paul II. Then I'm going to write about neo-Catholics in such a way as to cast them in a negative light and make them seem less Catholic than I am.

Face it, the criteria being considered in the article has nothing to do with actually being Catholic; it only has to do with a different, although a perfectly acceptable range, of views among Catholics.

So, in short, I reject the term.
[/quote]
You said it better than I could! I've started writing about it, too, lol.

Laudate_Dominum

Cool. I'm glad this thread didn't turn into lame Catholic vs. Catholic debate. This thread is encouraging actually. And Micah, what you said makes a lot of sense. :smokey:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 May 2010 - 01:12 AM' timestamp='1273468364' post='2107967']
Ah, thanks! That's exactly it!! It's a false dichotomy that seeks to divide orthodoxy.
[/quote]
The devil's strategy: Divide and conquer.

rhetoricfemme

I went ahead and posted about this at my blog. And Raphael, if you're going to post something about this at In Layman's Terms, then I'll not post mine there, too.

[url="http://roomforpatience.blogspot.com/2010/05/neo-catholic-proud-subgroup-or-divisive.html"]You can read it if it suits your fancy.[/url] :saint:

infinitelord1

I always find that the truth lies within how things have always been taught...anything that eventually becomes different from that would be a break from the Church. So I am a Conservative, Traditional Catholic.

[quote name='Socrates' date='09 May 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1273451395' post='2107878']
I don't know of anybody who identifies himself as "neo-Catholic."
The term is bs, and should be scrapped.
[/quote]

Word.

Ephrem Augustine

[quote name='Raphael' date='10 May 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1273468084' post='2107964']
I think this term was an invention of people who wanted to set orthodox Catholics against other orthodox Catholics. Both the "traditional Catholics" and the "neo-Catholics" mentioned in the article are perfectly orthodox and someone is making a false dichotomy trying to make "being Catholic" about something aside from actually being Catholic.

I'm going to define "neo-Catholics" as those who think Pope Benedict is cooler than Pope John Paul II. Then I'm going to write about neo-Catholics in such a way as to cast them in a negative light and make them seem less Catholic than I am.

Face it, the criteria being considered in the article has nothing to do with actually being Catholic; it only has to do with a different, although a perfectly acceptable range, of views among Catholics.

So, in short, I reject the term.
[/quote]

I agree, I do not think a group of Catholics stood up and said, hey lets be neo catholics, we will make a little club, so we.... whatever

personally, I think it is a label that has been invented (mixed with the term neo-con), to indicate, box in, even stagmatize a group of Catholics who aren't of their own persuasion.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='10 May 2010 - 12:34 AM' timestamp='1273466099' post='2107946']
[img]http://whatscooking.us/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/pear1.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Plus one for the Lawlwhut pear reference.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='08 May 2010 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1273363452' post='2107194']
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Catholicism

Notable Neo-Catholic Apologists
Jimmy Akin
Scott Hahn
Karl Keating

I like Akin, Hahn and Keating, but I also prefer the EF Mass and dislike Neoconservatism... :unsure: Maybe I'm a Pseudo-Neo-Catholic?

Btw, I assume there will be some debate here but that is not the point of this thread. It is just for amusement and lame factor. I actually think the term is silly and laughed out loud when I stumbled upon the wikipedia page.
[/quote]

What the croutons am I?

• 2 weeks later...
Galloglasses' Alt

Cant say I'm a Neo-Catholic, because I most certainly am not entirely happy with the second Vatican council reforms, and politically I am a monarchist, (absolutist even), and hold some views radically opposed to neo-conservative ideology, (one such difference to borrow a term of 'value', I value good order over liberty which to neo-conservatives sounds like I support totalitarianism, so we dont often get along), I cant call myself an Orthodox Catholic because I fail fair to much to live up to that name to call myself it with any sort of respect, but I do favour Orthodoxy much more in my theological outlook.

Edited by Galloglasses' Alt

dairygirl4u2c

i like that when you get to the roots of political idea per catholic churches,it's much closer to distributism and paeloconservatism etc. things like rerum novarum and more 'liberal' sounding texts from popes etc. it's not mainline conservative principels thought today. yet another example why cookie cutter conservatives, are almost surely wrong, as if today's conservatism per religion and politics, is right.