An Old School Catholic Message Board

Neo-Catholicism

Laudate_Dominum

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,
Every Catholic must be traditional, orthodox, evangelical, ETC. In short OBEDIENT, Anyone else is Protestant! Neo-protestant like the SSPX or just an old time Protestant, like Luther. If a person wants to be Catholic they have to be Obedient, even unto death, just like Jesus. So pray for the grace to be an Obedient Catholic, that's what I do.

John

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 May 2010 - 01:44 AM' timestamp='1273383889' post='2107541']
Officially on my FB page, I say "Orthodox Roman Catholic with Traditionalist Tendencies", although I could just as easily say Orthodox or Traditionalist Roman Catholic, and both would be correct. :) Heck, just plain old Catholic would be correct, but the reason I don't say that is because I try to express that this sort of thing needs to be taken seriously.
People make things so complicated. :P
[/quote]
Yep, it's definitely the people making things complicated. :)

::rolls up sleeves:: I'm going to try to explain myself without running off on a tangent and/or losing my point, lol. I think there's a difference between titles and labels. We've got orders like Dominicans and Franciscans and so forth, and those are great. Those remind me more of titles and lifestyles. They adhere to the Church, but also have another set of disciplines or practices that they tack on to that.

And then this Neo-Catholic concept. Given, this is the first time I've heard the phrase, so I don't know how ingrained or long-standing a term it is, or if it can really define a group of Catholics. Like Scott Hahn? I just consider him a Roman Catholic, and a great example for converts. It just seems like Neo-Catholic would be more of a title that is put onto a person or group by others, not something a person would choose to call themselves. It seems like more of a label that someone has slapped on them when other people are watching them through the window and only see a little bit of what's going on. And those types of terms I think we can do without.

You're right, too, that introducing oneself as also being Orthodox or Traditionalist can be helpful, because the Church should be taken seriously. Even if those labels are redundant to true Catholicism, adding those labels could possibly help someone who is more lax in their discipline to understand that the Church is a package deal.

So yeah. I guess labels walk a fine line. You take the good, you take the bad, and there you have the facts of life. :) So sorry, I couldn't help that last part. I've been doing that a lot lately...

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 May 2010 - 01:52 AM' timestamp='1273384368' post='2107547']
My political views section, on the other hand..... :D

I think I'm going to change it to "Eschatological Catholic Monarchy, and Tentative Paleolibertarianism in the meantime." :lol:
[/quote]
Do it!

[quote name='john654' date='09 May 2010 - 09:42 AM' timestamp='1273412529' post='2107644']
Hi,
Every Catholic must be traditional, orthodox, evangelical, ETC. In short OBEDIENT, Anyone else is Protestant! Neo-protestant like the SSPX or just an old time :yes: Protestant, like Luther. If a person wants to be Catholic they have to be Obedient, even unto death, just like Jesus. So pray for the grace to be an Obedient Catholic, that's what I do.

John
[/quote]
:yes:

Edited by rhetoricfemme

From what I've seen, this looks like a term coined by "rad-trads" to refer to any orthodox Catholics who aren't "rad-trads."
Especially those awful converts from protestantism. Just can't trust those converts in the Church.

I don't know of anybody who identifies himself as "neo-Catholic."
The term is bs, and should be scrapped. And I say this as one who attends the old Latin mass.

I definitely reject the term because "Catholic" is always new because our Deity is inexhaustible (among a few other things :))
Hence "neo-Catholic" is redundant.

S.

ThePenciledOne

Like how we need to label everything, or at least re-label, lest we get afraid it will get stale or spoil...

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='09 May 2010 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1273465221' post='2107936']
Like how we need to label everything, or at least re-label, lest we get afraid it will get stale or spoil...
[/quote]
Of course an *anarchist* would say that. <_<

[spoiler];)[/spoiler]

[quote name='mortify' date='09 May 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1273462322' post='2107922']
Neo-Catholicism is becoming increasingly more appealing.
[/quote]

[img]http://whatscooking.us/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/pear1.jpg[/img]

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 May 2010 - 01:25 AM' timestamp='1273465514' post='2107937']
Of course an *anarchist* would say that. <_<

[/quote]

:sweat::sadder::mellow::P

Thy Geekdom Come

I think this term was an invention of people who wanted to set orthodox Catholics against other orthodox Catholics. Both the "traditional Catholics" and the "neo-Catholics" mentioned in the article are perfectly orthodox and someone is making a false dichotomy trying to make "being Catholic" about something aside from actually being Catholic.

I'm going to define "neo-Catholics" as those who think Pope Benedict is cooler than Pope John Paul II. Then I'm going to write about neo-Catholics in such a way as to cast them in a negative light and make them seem less Catholic than I am.

Face it, the criteria being considered in the article has nothing to do with actually being Catholic; it only has to do with a different, although a perfectly acceptable range, of views among Catholics.

So, in short, I reject the term.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Raphael' date='10 May 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1273468084' post='2107964']
I think this term was an invention of people who wanted to set orthodox Catholics against other orthodox Catholics. Both the "traditional Catholics" and the "neo-Catholics" mentioned in the article are perfectly orthodox and someone is making a false dichotomy trying to make "being Catholic" about something aside from actually being Catholic.

I'm going to define "neo-Catholics" as those who think Pope Benedict is cooler than Pope John Paul II. Then I'm going to write about neo-Catholics in such a way as to cast them in a negative light and make them seem less Catholic than I am.

Face it, the criteria being considered in the article has nothing to do with actually being Catholic; it only has to do with a different, although a perfectly acceptable range, of views among Catholics.

[/quote]
Ah, thanks! That's exactly it!! It's a false dichotomy that seeks to divide orthodoxy.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Raphael' date='10 May 2010 - 02:08 AM' timestamp='1273468084' post='2107964']
[b]I think this term was an invention of people who wanted to set orthodox Catholics against other orthodox Catholics.[/b] Both the "traditional Catholics" and the "neo-Catholics" mentioned in the article are perfectly orthodox and someone is making a false dichotomy trying to make "being Catholic" about something aside from actually being Catholic.

[/quote]

Exactly. I think we should just call carrots carrots here and call it a day. And for those of you that may have missed that its, lets call (with the correct English pronunciation) C-A-T-H-O-L-I-C-S=[u]Catholics[/u]

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='10 May 2010 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1273468595' post='2107971']
I think we should just call carrots carrots here and call it a day.
[/quote]

There are lots of different types of carrots though. There are steamed carrots, baked carrots, wild carrots, and baby carrots. I don't think there's anything wrong with differentiating between the different kinds of carrots, as long as one acknowledges that each carrot is indeed a carrot.