An Old School Catholic Message Board

It's 1920's Under The United State During Alcohol Prohibition.

Sternhauser

What would you do?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

kamiller42

I didn't like any of the answers, so I'll answer here. If it's the law of the land and he's doing all three, I would turn him in. Would I want a crime syndicate for a neighbor? No. Look what it would attract. I might get shot in some deal gone bad scenario.

If he wants to produce and distribute, then change the law. Convince the public the cost to society of legalizing the behavior is less than the cost of enforcing its prohibition.

Jesus_lol

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='05 May 2010 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1273124405' post='2105748']
I've never tried it, so I can't say you're wrong...... but still, I'm hesitant. Are you saying that smoking a single joint significantly impairs a person's spiritual faculties?
[/quote]

i would say smoking a single joint to be vaguely comparable to a couple of beers. the scale doesnt really line up, because you could probably smoke pot all day(theis has been done by friends) not not be all that badly off. just not too functional, but not sick, or dying of overdose or alchohol poisoning. and not starting fights or deciding to drive at 3 times the speed limit and kill people.

back to the small effect. a single joint can be smoked (or "puffed" on) many many times before it is used up. often a joint will be shared between several people.round here normally like 10 or so(it would still go around the group a few times), when everyone is hanging out at the ropeswing. no really gets high in the same way. one gets high off it, or really changes in a noticeable way. its just kind of a social thing at that point.

more differences are noticable when everyone drinks a beer each.

obviously more smoking leads to being more high, but its not quite the same.

a joint between like 2 or 4 friends, would be everyone fairly buzzed. but still very very functional.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='06 May 2010 - 01:59 AM' timestamp='1273125596' post='2105754']
i would say smoking a single joint to be vaguely comparable to a couple of beers. the scale doesnt really line up, because you could probably smoke pot all day(theis has been done by friends) not not be all that badly off. just not too functional, but not sick, or dying of overdose or alchohol poisoning. and not starting fights or deciding to drive at 3 times the speed limit and kill people.

back to the small effect. a single joint can be smoked (or "puffed" on) many many times before it is used up. often a joint will be shared between several people.round here normally like 10 or so(it would still go around the group a few times), when everyone is hanging out at the ropeswing. no really gets high in the same way. one gets high off it, or really changes in a noticeable way. its just kind of a social thing at that point.

more differences are noticable when everyone drinks a beer each.

obviously more smoking leads to being more high, but its not quite the same.

a joint between like 2 or 4 friends, would be everyone fairly buzzed. but still very very functional.
[/quote]

...what about when your friends roll marijuana into the world's biggest joint....bigger than any large cigar, and when you are puffing it, it explodes and seeds go everywhere???

kamiller42

Before posting on this thread and supposed harmless affair of smoking marijuana, I wish watching 2 Dragnet episodes would be required: The Big High & The Big Prophet. So many repeated arguments. You can watch them on Netflix streaming.

Edited by kamiller42

dominicansoul

[quote name='kamiller42' date='06 May 2010 - 02:23 AM' timestamp='1273126984' post='2105759']
Before posting on this thread and supposed harmless affair of smoking marijuana, I wish watching 2 Dragnet episodes would be required: The Big High & The Big Prophet. So many repeated arguments. You can watch them on Netflix streaming.
[/quote]

i really enjoy "Dragnet"

Jesus_lol

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='05 May 2010 - 11:22 PM' timestamp='1273126968' post='2105758']
...what about when your friends roll marijuana into the world's biggest joint....bigger than any large cigar, and when you are puffing it, it explodes and seeds go everywhere???
[/quote]

why do i feel like this is referring to a cheech and chong movie i havent seen? :P

[quote name='kamiller42' date='05 May 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1273126984' post='2105759']
[/quote]

Dragnet? the 50s TV show? seriously? why dont i just watch some back episodes of Matlock with you old timer?

:P

yeah you probably think Reefer Madness is based in fact as well right?

oh man im sorry, Matlock was made like 30 years after Dragnet, i know how you dont like all that newfangled stuff.

Edited by Jesus_lol

aalpha1989

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 May 2010 - 01:40 AM' timestamp='1273124405' post='2105748']
I've never tried it, so I can't say you're wrong...... but still, I'm hesitant. Are you saying that smoking a single joint significantly impairs a person's spiritual faculties?
[/quote]

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='06 May 2010 - 01:51 AM' timestamp='1273125089' post='2105751']
this is entirely untrue. in the same way that you can have a drink or two without any significant changes in body, you can also socially smoke pot. one puff does not equal being stoned. if anyone tells you this, they are lying.

the effects of even smoking a full joint by yourself are, i think, less total in your body than drinking a fair amount of alchohol. it changes your perception and thoughts, like alchohol, but doesnt really affect balance, reaction times(to the same degree).

i know this from personal experience, not from listening to pro drug guys or reading websites. nothing against you, i just know you have no first hand experience.
[/quote]

I haven't smoked myself but I have seen the effects in people close to me. Smoking marijuana, as I said, significantly inhibits the spiritual faculties. Drinking in excess does too. Both are sinful.

goldenchild17

Before using our own reasoning alone for calling something sinful (which is no small accusation) it would be helpful if people from each side would give some sort of source that agrees with them. I haven't done an in depth study on this, but I know that one Catholic moral theologian (Heribert Jone) from the 1950's equated the use of narcotics with the use of alcohol and said basically that just like alcohol isn't always sinful the same is true of narcotics.

ardillacid

[quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='06 May 2010 - 12:52 AM' timestamp='1273121572' post='2105730']
The drug war is succeeding where the prohibition failed.

[/quote] :blink: :blink: :blink:

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='06 May 2010 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1273123076' post='2105741']
Alcohol can be enjoyed in such a way that spiritual faculties are not affected significantly, if at all. Marijuana can not.
[/quote]
You are incorrect. Just like alcohol, marijuana at low levels doesn't have much effect on the mental faculties. It is possible to use marijuana in moderation.

kamiller42

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='06 May 2010 - 02:35 AM' timestamp='1273127759' post='2105762']
Dragnet? the 50s TV show? seriously? why dont i just watch some back episodes of Matlock with you old timer?

:P

yeah you probably think Reefer Madness is based in fact as well right?

oh man im sorry, Matlock was made like 30 years after Dragnet, i know how you dont like all that newfangled stuff.
[/quote]
I am not that old, but I learned to appreciate quality movies and TV shows which appeared before my time.

Dragnet was a show which reenacted actual, i.e. real, cases. So yes, it is based on fact.

If you watch the show, you will see many arguments and situations today existed 40+ years ago. People who believe they are enlightened by providing a new angle on an issue, like drugs, are really singing an old failed song.

Plus, Joe Friday played by Jack Webb, is awesome! This is a hilarious routine he did with Johnny Carson.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4RIBhQIkII[/media]

truthfinder

I voted 4, but if i could've vote for more than one, I would have picked #3 as well.
The thing with that law was that the storage and consumption of alcohol were perfectly legal. So if you stockpiled before Prohibition became law, you could drink throughout the whole time. You just couldn't transfer the alcohol to a different location. ie. Your friend can come over and have a drink from your stock, but he cannot take a bottle home. The law was totally counterproductive. Drinking of hard liquor increased tremendously during that time. The law really just came around from the "lobbying" of radical temperance advocates, mainly womens groups such as the WCTU. (Sorry for the rant, I wrote a paper on this and get excited anytime I can write some more [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] )

kamiller42

[quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='06 May 2010 - 12:52 AM' timestamp='1273121572' post='2105730']
The drug war is succeeding where the prohibition failed. [/quote]
It is certainly doing no worse than the war on most other crimes.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='06 May 2010 - 01:59 PM' timestamp='1273172343' post='2105941']
i wish men today would dress like the men did back in the 1920's... :love:
[/quote]
I agree, although I think the 40s and 50s were a bit cooler. :)

kamiller42

Food for thought.

[quote]Contrary to the beliefs of those who advocate the legalization of marijuana, [b]the current balanced, restrictive, and bipartisan drug policies of the United States are working reasonably well and they have contributed to reductions in the rate of marijuana use in our nation[/b].

The rate of current, past 30-day use of marijuana by Americans aged 12 and older in 1979 was 13.2 percent. In 2008 that figure stood at 6.1 percent. This 54-percent reduction in marijuana use over that 29-year period is a major public health triumph, not a failure.

Marijuana is the most commonly abused illegal drug in the U.S. and around the world. Those who support its legalization, for medical or for general use, fail to recognize that the greatest costs of marijuana are not related to its prohibition; [b]they are the costs resulting from marijuana use itself.[/b]

In the discussion of legalizing marijuana, a useful analogy can be made to gambling. MacCoun & Reuter (2001) conclude that making the government a beneficiary of legal gambling has encouraged the government to promote gambling, overlooking it as a problem behavior. They point out that “the moral debasement of state government is a phenomenon that only a few academics and preachers bemoan.”

[b]Legalized gambling has not reduced illegal gambling in the United States; rather, it has increased it.[/b] [Hey! That's what I said in the other thread!] This is particularly evident in sports gambling, most of which is illegal. Legal gambling is taxed and regulated and illegal gambling is not. Legal gambling sets the stage for illegal gambling just the way legal marijuana would set the stage for illegal marijuana trafficking.

[url="http://www.cnbc.com/id/36267223/"]Source[/url]
[/quote]