An Old School Catholic Message Board

It's 1920's Under The United State During Alcohol Prohibition.

Sternhauser

What would you do?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='05 May 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1273118784' post='2105718']
:lol_roll:

Last summer I worked for a priest who...made? brewed? distilled? (i'm so bad at this... stupid unjust age laws!) scotch. It was pretty awesome. Sadly he would not allow us to try any... that would cause scandal. *sigh*.
[/quote]
Distilled. ^_^

That's pretty cool. I hear that you have to be careful making it in case you accidently introduce methanol.

aalpha1989

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 May 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1273118887' post='2105719']
Distilled. ^_^

That's pretty cool. I hear that you have to be careful making it in case you accidently introduce methanol.
[/quote]

:shock: like... meth? the horrible drug?

Edit. Thats methamphetamine or something. silly me.

Edited by aalpha1989

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='05 May 2010 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1273118935' post='2105720']
:shock: like... meth? the horrible drug?

Edit. Thats methamphetamine or something. silly me.
[/quote]
:lol: That was a funny enough mistake to have been an intentional joke. You should remember that one.

dominicansoul

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='05 May 2010 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1273116936' post='2105705']
You would have been a flapper?

I's confuzzled.
[/quote]
[img]http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/JD5028-001.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=2AC75F6FAA20674C368AFC92E9F3340F57D9EB3FDC82545549207362A3F24453[/img]

..you know...a [i]flapper.[/i]..the roaring '20's "wild woman...."

aalpha1989

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='06 May 2010 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1273119611' post='2105724']
[img]http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/JD5028-001.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=2AC75F6FAA20674C368AFC92E9F3340F57D9EB3FDC82545549207362A3F24453[/img]

..you know...a [i]flapper.[/i]..the roaring '20's "wild woman...."
[/quote]

haha I know what a flapper is... I was just confused by the tone of your post. Internetz are dumb. I couldn't figure out if you really agreed with me or if you were being completely sarcastic.

dominicansoul

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='06 May 2010 - 12:21 AM' timestamp='1273119684' post='2105725']
haha I know what a flapper is... I was just confused by the tone of your post. Internetz are dumb. I couldn't figure out if you really agreed with me or if you were being completely sarcastic.
[/quote]

nah, i agreed, and then i voted...didn't see that as an option the first time around....

aalpha1989

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='06 May 2010 - 12:24 AM' timestamp='1273119854' post='2105726']
nah, i agreed, and then i voted...didn't see that as an option the first time around....
[/quote]

:D

Man... Phatmass Pub makes me want to have a drink with all y'all in real life...(well that, and the chatroom)

SaintOfVirtue

"I won't turn you in, but I won't lie for you either" would be my answer. I believe the author of this thread is trying to make a correlation between the Alcohol Prohibition and the drug war. I say the two are entirely different issues, and therefore are incomparable. The drug war is succeeding where the prohibition failed.

P.S. I know the alcohol prohibition was an utter failure. However, while the law was in effect I would have abided by it, but I would have voted against it at the ballot.

aalpha1989

[quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='06 May 2010 - 12:52 AM' timestamp='1273121572' post='2105730']
"I won't turn you in, but I won't lie for you either" would be my answer.[b] I believe the author of this thread is trying to make a correlation between the Alcohol Prohibition and the drug war[/b]. I say the two are entirely different issues, and therefore are incomparable. The drug war is succeeding where the prohibition failed.
[/quote]

Hm you may be right... they are completely different questions imo and correlations don't work. I'm not a hypocrite for saying I wouldn't abide by the Prohibition but I do abide by drug laws... most of the drugs which are illegal are immoral to use recreationally. Alcohol is not. I don't believe the government has the right to regulate the use of something relatively harmless like alcohol. I don't know whether drug laws are effective, or whether the government has the right to regulate them. It doesn't matter too much to me because I think their immoral anyway.

Edited by aalpha1989

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='06 May 2010 - 12:04 AM' timestamp='1273122252' post='2105733']
Hm you may be right... they are completely different questions imo and correlations don't work. I'm not a hypocrite for saying I wouldn't abide by the Prohibition but I do abide by drug laws... most of the drugs which are illegal are immoral to use recreationally. Alcohol is not. I don't believe the government has the right to regulate the use of something relatively harmless like alcohol. I don't know whether drug laws are effective, or whether the government has the right to regulate them. It doesn't matter to much to me because I think their immoral anyway.
[/quote]
I'm curious as to your thinking on this. Which drugs do you consider immoral if used recreationally? All of the ones that are currently illegal? Is it just a question of their effects on the body?

aalpha1989

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 May 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1273122436' post='2105735']
I'm curious as to your thinking on this. Which drugs do you consider immoral if used recreationally? All of the ones that are currently illegal? Is it just a question of their effects on the body?
[/quote]

It's a question of effects on the body and on the soul... i.e. how much do they affect your use of your faculties? Marijuana seems relatively mild, but it definitely inhibits the intellect/will in a significant way. Until recently I was undecided, but I think marijuana is immoral to use because of this effect. I do believe it is less dangerous physically than cigarettes.
Blah, I'm so bad at explaining.

I don't believe there is such a thing as "moderate use" of marijuana because of the significant effect it has on the intellect and on the will. Every time. There [i]is[/i] such a thing as "moderate use" of cigarettes because the physical dangers are only present if one smokes massive amounts, and nicotine does not significantly inhibit the intellect or the will.

I would obviously consider anything more hardcore than marijuana immoral because those drugs affect the intellect and the will even more. Spiritual dangers (and the intellect and the will are spiritual faculties) are more deadly than physical dangers. Drugs have the effect of seperating the body from the soul in favor of the body. That is, one is immersed in physical pleasures and the more important soul is forgotten and neglected.

Edited by aalpha1989

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='06 May 2010 - 12:14 AM' timestamp='1273122867' post='2105738']
It's a question of effects on the body and on the soul... i.e. how much do they affect your use of your faculties? Marijuana seems relatively mild, but it definitely inhibits the intellect/will in a significant way. Until recently I was undecided, but I think marijuana is immoral to use because of this effect. I do believe it is less dangerous physically than cigarettes.
Blah, I'm so bad at explaining.

I don't believe there is such a thing as "moderate use" of marijuana because of the significant effect it has on the intellect and on the will. Every time. There [i]is[/i] such a thing as "moderate use" of cigarettes because the physical dangers are only present if one smokes massive amounts, and nicotine does not significantly inhibit the intellect or the will.

I would obviously consider anything more hardcore than marijuana immoral because those drugs affect the intellect and the will even more. Spiritual dangers (and the intellect and the will are spiritual faculties) are more deadly than physical dangers. Drugs have the effect of seperating the body from the soul in favor of the body. That is, one is immersed in physical pleasures and the more important soul is forgotten and neglected.
[/quote]
I've always found the comparisons between alcohol and marijuana to be fairly compelling. Obviously they affect the body in different ways, but from an outsider's perspective, it looks like they affect a person to about the same degree. How do you respond to that?

aalpha1989

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 May 2010 - 01:16 AM' timestamp='1273122988' post='2105739']
I've always found the comparisons between alcohol and marijuana to be fairly compelling. Obviously they affect the body in different ways, but from an outsider's perspective, it looks like they affect a person to about the same degree. How do you respond to that?
[/quote]

Alcohol can be enjoyed in such a way that spiritual faculties are not affected significantly, if at all. Marijuana can not.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='06 May 2010 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1273123076' post='2105741']
Alcohol can be enjoyed in such a way that spiritual faculties are not affected significantly, if at all. Marijuana can not.
[/quote]
I've never tried it, so I can't say you're wrong...... but still, I'm hesitant. Are you saying that smoking a single joint significantly impairs a person's spiritual faculties?

Jesus_lol

[quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='05 May 2010 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1273121572' post='2105730']
"I won't turn you in, but I won't lie for you either" would be my answer. I believe the author of this thread is trying to make a correlation between the Alcohol Prohibition and the drug war. I say the two are entirely different issues, and therefore are incomparable. The drug war is succeeding where the prohibition failed.

P.S. I know the alcohol prohibition was an utter failure. However, while the law was in effect I would have abided by it, but I would have voted against it at the ballot.
[/quote]

the drug war is only really succeeding in the same way the prohibition did. they stop a small amount of trafficking, arrest a couple people, the vast majority goes untouched and indeed thrives on the increased profits in dealing with illegal substances. and since they are already outside of the law, and profits are so large, it becomes "worth it" to kill, and often, to protect your profits, and when deals go sour.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='05 May 2010 - 10:17 PM' timestamp='1273123076' post='2105741']
[/quote]

this is entirely untrue. in the same way that you can have a drink or two without any significant changes in body, you can also socially smoke pot. one puff does not equal being stoned. if anyone tells you this, they are lying.

the effects of even smoking a full joint by yourself are, i think, less total in your body than drinking a fair amount of alchohol. it changes your perception and thoughts, like alchohol, but doesnt really affect balance, reaction times(to the same degree).

i know this from personal experience, not from listening to pro drug guys or reading websites. nothing against you, i just know you have no first hand experience.