An Old School Catholic Message Board

Taking Pictures And Video’S All During The Mass

add

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Slappo' date='10 May 2010 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1273523702' post='2108260']
My fiancee and I are not kissing in the sanctuary either, but I'm sure not going to wait another 3 hours for the reception to kiss her!

Any kissing meant strictly for marriage will of course be kept until it is appropriate for such expressions of intimacy.
[/quote]

There are three hours between your ceremony and the reception? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/marriage.gif[/img] I'm starting to worry that you two aren't even going to make it to the reception. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]

I can just hear your best man say, "Uh, Slappo and Mrs. Slappo aren't here, because, uh......their car broke down....that's it, their car broke down. But, they told me to tell you to enjoy yourselves as much as they are enjoying themselves. Wait, that came out wrong.....Uh, never mind, let's eat." [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smokey.gif[/img]

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='10 May 2010 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1273536105' post='2108361']
There are three hours between your ceremony and the reception? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/marriage.gif[/img] I'm starting to worry that you two aren't even going to make it to the reception. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]

I can just hear your best man say, "Uh, Slappo and Mrs. Slappo aren't here, because, uh......their car broke down....that's it, their car broke down. But, they told me to tell you to enjoy yourselves as much as they are enjoying themselves. Wait, that came out wrong.....Uh, never mind, let's eat." [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smokey.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Well the wedding starts at 1pm and the reception starts at 4. Dinner doesn't start until 5 though and if we were going to have our first kiss in front of everyone it would have to be when dinner starts.

So give 1 1/2 hours for the mass and then it's 2:30-5pm that we would have to wait. We'll probably be meeting people for half an hour after mass, then pictures for an hour, then drive to the hall take more pictures then go inside for dinner.

But she's definitely getting a smooch somewhere in there! :saint:

Another pet peeve…

At mass, last Sunday the side alter to St Joseph had a big50 inch TV and VCR player sitting on top of the alter. During the mass, a video was played and the congregation washit up for donations to the annual Hope Appeal.

Here is the video we watched. [media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjzcQa0PBBA"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SjzcQa0PBBA[/url][/media] a TV on St Joseph alter or anywhere at the front of the church, is odd and does not seem right.

On a side note, two years ago my parish ranked 51 out of52 parishes for contributions to the hope appeal. It was also around that time announced that the Diocese's was going to close my parish due to the priest shortage at some point in the next few years. Last year my parish ranking went to 11[sup]th[/sup]place. [size="3"]There is a good change that (we),my parish will remain open and not close.
[/size]
I hope and pray so.

I was at St. Peter's Basilica in Rome for the Easter Vigil mass when Pope John Paul II was the Holy Father. They announced before mass, multiple times, in many languages (but most often in English) that no one was to take pictures while the pascal candle was brought forward through the main aisle of the church during the liturgy. The flashes would be very disruptive of the symbolism of light in darkness.

Do you think everyone listened?

Lots and lots of flashes went off. I thought it was disruptive and rude, but at the same time...the pope. Right there. Pretty big temptation to snap a picture!

princessgianna

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='06 May 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1273206320' post='2106171']
if we couldn't take pictures during Mass, we wouldn't have those cool pictures of St. Pio
[/quote]

:good point:
[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='07 May 2010 - 09:27 AM' timestamp='1273242467' post='2106262']
I see no problem with one person taking pics for everyone with a telephoto lens as long as it is discrete, and not noticable by the rest of the congregation. One should NEVER pop in and out of pews etc.
[/quote]
:yep:

dominicansoul

[quote name='MissScripture' date='10 May 2010 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1273534885' post='2108349']
My first kiss with my husband was at the sign of peace. Our priest didn't say the anything about kissing me, so we didn't do it in front of everyone. As far as clapping, you'd have to ask DomincanSoul, as I don't have pretty much any recollection of a lot of things that day, especially, I've noticed, sounds. Like all that music I spent hours deciding on? Don't remember hearing ANY of it. But I digress...
[/quote]

I believe there was applause when Father announced you and James as "Mr. and Mrs...." (Didn't Father have tears? He seemed kinda emotional about it...) The applause was not inappropriate, as I believe it is a sign of joy at the Sacrament we had just witnessed...it was applause peppered with a sense of awe about the whole presentation of the newly married couple... :lol:

The music was beautiful, but I couldn't take my eyes off the huge screen above the altar that showed me every music note and lyric. I was fascinated.

The one thing I remember the most was how James took your garter belt off at the dance...:lol: Your husband is hilarious! (but now I digress!)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MithLuin' date='19 May 2010 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1274315140' post='2113866']
I was at St. Peter's Basilica in Rome for the Easter Vigil mass when Pope John Paul II was the Holy Father. They announced before mass, multiple times, in many languages (but most often in English) that no one was to take pictures while the pascal candle was brought forward through the main aisle of the church during the liturgy. The flashes would be very disruptive of the symbolism of light in darkness.

Do you think everyone listened?

Lots and lots of flashes went off. I thought it was disruptive and rude, but at the same time...the pope. Right there. Pretty big temptation to snap a picture!
[/quote]

:lol: Typical, I'm sure most of them were Italians, and the others were just copying the Italians. ("Well [i]they're[/i] doing it..."!)

I'm not sure I agree with saving the first kiss of husband and wife for after the Mass. I think it's a beautiful thing for a chaste first kiss to be in the church, in front of Our Lord, with His Blessing and as a sign that your marriage has God as its center. Sure, most people nowadays don't take it that way or care about that aspect of it, but I know my husband and I sure did.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='20 May 2010 - 09:12 AM' timestamp='1274364753' post='2114134']
The music was beautiful, but I couldn't take my eyes off the huge screen above the altar that showed me every music note and lyric. I was fascinated.
[/quote]

:huh: really? i didn't know they did that in Catholic churches. Learn something every day. :)

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='20 May 2010 - 09:12 AM' timestamp='1274364753' post='2114134']
The one thing I remember the most was how James took your garter belt off at the dance...:lol: Your husband is hilarious! (but now I digress!)
[/quote]

:shock: Roamin' Catholic!! SCANDALOUS! :P

MissScripture

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='20 May 2010 - 10:12 AM' timestamp='1274364753' post='2114134']
I believe there was applause when Father announced you and James as "Mr. and Mrs...." (Didn't Father have tears? He seemed kinda emotional about it...) The applause was not inappropriate, as I believe it is a sign of joy at the Sacrament we had just witnessed...it was applause peppered with a sense of awe about the whole presentation of the newly married couple... :lol:

[/quote]
I know Father teared up when he was giving the homily. He's been through a lot with us! lol. But he is practically a member of our family. Kind of like a grandpa! ^_^

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='29 May 2010 - 09:58 AM' timestamp='1275141518' post='2120152']
:lol: Typical, I'm sure most of them were Italians, and the others were just copying the Italians. ("Well [i]they're[/i] doing it..."!)

I'm not sure I agree with saving the first kiss of husband and wife for after the Mass. I think it's a beautiful thing for a chaste first kiss to be in the church, in front of Our Lord, with His Blessing and as a sign that your marriage has God as its center. Sure, most people nowadays don't take it that way or care about that aspect of it, but I know my husband and I sure did.
[/quote]
It's not actually part of the marriage ceremony for the priest/deacon to SAY "you may kiss the bride," so I agree with them not saying it, but if people kiss, well, I don't think that's anything scandalous or bad or anything.

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' date='29 May 2010 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1275155440' post='2120221']
:huh: really? i didn't know they did that in Catholic churches. Learn something every day. :)

:shock: Roamin' Catholic!! SCANDALOUS! :P
[/quote]
It's actually fairly common in churches in that area. I'm not so sure I like it, but nobody asked me. lol. The church was not designed the best, and so it's got a few quirks to it, too. Like where the screen hangs is supposed to be in the front of the choir loft, but it wasn't built correctly, so it ended up being used for storage, so they hung curtains and the screen in front of it, and the choir is awkwardly positioned in the kitchen wing (with the retractable wall open...can you tell this was built in the late 70s?). And they REALLY need to take the clock down in there, but now I'm rambling, so I'll stop...

And as far as Roamin' Catholic and my garter...[spoiler]He did it in the most AWKWARD way possible, which I was trying to get him NOT to do! I think he was trying to make sure I didn't show anything...as if I COULD with the bazillion layers I had on! But he basically ended up climbing UNDER the skirt, I think then he grabbed my shoe, or something. I just know we have a picture of him holding my shoe and the garter, and when he sat back his face was bright red and he said, "WOW! It was HOT UNDER THERE!" (Which it was...I'd say it was approximately 95 degrees with all those layers.) My mom thought it was absolutely hysterical! :mellow:

Here is the picture: [IMG]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o102/EagleOneTheatreChick/WeddingpicsfromMomW119.jpg[/IMG][/spoiler]

Edited by MissScripture

• 7 months later...
Roamin Catholic

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1274364753' post='2114134']
[/quote]

I did Wha???

Pictures: One person, preferably a pro that knows how to shoot quietly and unobtrusively. I once did a shoot for a class project before, but only after I had permission from our pastor and the main celebrant (my poor confessor). That was a big pile of fail.

Kisses: Yes, please. Chastely, I feel like it's a wonderful gesture in a nuptial Mass.

Clapping: Generally, no. But the parish I go to applauds at Sacraments. Once everyone is done they are introduced to the parish, and we applaud, which I don't think is bad. It celebrates work that God has just done and welcomes them into the parish family. That's the only circumstance where I find it appropriate.