An Old School Catholic Message Board

Taking Pictures And Video’S All During The Mass

add

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='apparently' date='08 May 2010 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1273372279' post='2107390']
7 very bads, wow that is bad
[/quote]
I suppose it's a pet peeve.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 May 2010 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1273369293' post='2107327']
Clapping is, in my opinion, and the opinion of many others, very very very (very very very very) bad if it happens during the actual Mass.

Here's what the Holy Father had to say a few years back:
"Wherever applause breaks out in the liturgy because of some human achievement, it is a sure sign that the essence of liturgy has totally disappeared and been replaced by a kind of religious entertainment. " (Spirit of the Liturgy p. 198)
[/quote]

I've been to weddings where the congregation clapped at the end as the newly-married bride and groom walked back down the aisle. It seemed okay to me, because technically, the Mass was over at that point, and getting married IS a human achievement to celebrate.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='08 May 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1273376358' post='2107442']
I've been to weddings where the congregation clapped at the end as the newly-married bride and groom walked back down the aisle. It seemed okay to me, because technically, the Mass was over at that point, and getting married IS a human achievement to celebrate.
[/quote]
It's true that Mass is over at that point. I'm uncomfortable even with clapping in the main part of the church anywhere near the sanctuary, and especially so right at the end of Mass. At the one parish I go to, the congregation generally applauds the choir after the recessional, which I think is rather... bad. It really is a pet peeve. I just think clapping can be done in a million places other than the holy space where Mass is offered and here (usually) the Blessed Sacrament is reserved.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='08 May 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1273376358' post='2107442']
[/quote]

Yes, the Mass was over, but the Blessed Sacrament was still in the tabernacle. Applause (and, in my opinion, first kisses) can certainly wait for the reception.

Edited by fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' date='09 May 2010 - 12:50 AM' timestamp='1273377008' post='2107449']
Yes, the Mass was over, but the Blessed Sacrament was still in the tabernacle. Applause (and, in my opinion, first kisses) can certainly wait for the reception.
[/quote]

wait a minute, what about the [b]Sign of Peace[/b] during the mass, a kiss is an expression of love and peace with one another, is it not?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='07 May 2010 - 10:27 AM' timestamp='1273242467' post='2106262']
I see no problem with one person taking pics for everyone with a telephoto lens as long as it is discrete, and not noticable by the rest of the congregation. One should NEVER pop in and out of pews etc.
[/quote]
And one should never "whisper shout" their child's name as s/he passes by, wave like an idiot and snap pictures like s/he's going off to war...

Christie_M

I've always been confused on this topic (not the clapping, I agree with Nihil on that one). Are pictures allowed to be taken during Mass? of the inside of the chruch even? what about when the Eucherist is present?
:idontknow:
It kind of feels like a disrispectful thing to do, but not sure why.

Edited by Christie_M

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 May 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1273376907' post='2107447']
It's true that Mass is over at that point. I'm uncomfortable even with clapping in the main part of the church anywhere near the sanctuary, and especially so right at the end of Mass. At the one parish I go to, the congregation generally applauds the choir after the recessional, which I think is rather... bad. It really is a pet peeve. I just think clapping can be done in a million places other than the holy space where Mass is offered and here (usually) the Blessed Sacrament is reserved.
[/quote]
Clapping does tend to make the liturgy seem like a performance rather than worship, and for me it breaks the prayerful calm that should exist during and after the service.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='apparently' date='10 May 2010 - 05:16 AM' timestamp='1273486603' post='2107998']
wait a minute, what about the [b]Sign of Peace[/b] during the mass, a kiss is an expression of love and peace with one another, is it not?
[/quote]

Yes, you are correct. In the context of the Sign of Peace, I agree a discreet kiss is appropriate.

In the context of a Nuptial Masses, though, I am afraid the whole, "You may now kiss the bride," has become less about a sign of peace (in fact, I've never heard a priest/minister say they were kissing in order to demonstrate love and peace), and more about a display for everyone to watch the new couple kiss, followed by a round of applause. My husband and I did not feel that would be appropriate while still in the sanctuary, so we saved ours for the reception. Like i said before, though, it's just my opinion. :)

aalpha1989

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 May 2010 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1273514615' post='2108148']
Clapping does tend to make the liturgy seem like a performance rather than worship, and for me it breaks the prayerful calm that should exist during and after the service.
[/quote]

Sadly, even at my EF Parish there is not generally prayerful calm after Mass. No one speaks in the nave, but you can still hear them past the thin doors.

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' date='10 May 2010 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1273521237' post='2108221']
Yes, you are correct. In the context of the Sign of Peace, I agree a discreet kiss is appropriate.

In the context of a Nuptial Masses, though, I am afraid the whole, "You may now kiss the bride," has become less about a sign of peace (in fact, I've never heard a priest/minister say they were kissing in order to demonstrate love and peace), and more about a display for everyone to watch the new couple kiss, followed by a round of applause. [b]My husband and I did not feel that would be appropriate while still in the sanctuary, so [u]we saved ours for the reception.[/u][/b] Like i said before, though, it's just my opinion. :)
[/quote]

My fiancee and I are not kissing in the sanctuary either, but I'm sure not going to wait another 3 hours for the reception to kiss her!

Any kissing meant strictly for marriage will of course be kept until it is appropriate for such expressions of intimacy.

In a pastoral mass once( I think maybe the oil blessing one) the bishop mentioned a priest that had worked there for 50 years on that day, and people clapped, and then he was like "let us confess our sins". :lol: It's his humor is suppose. I didn't find it irreverent at the time, but done in the Eucharistic section I think I'd have problems with it.

At the first communions a seminarist was the only one that was allowed to take pictures, and he took pictures of all the children.

On a similar note since clapping has been brought up, what about clapping for a newly baptized?

This isn't a human achievement, but a divine achievement. Or at least argue could be made for such a case (same with a wedding btw, as it is a sacrament taking place, we are applauding the divine union of the two, not the human achievement of finding a spouse).

MissScripture

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' date='10 May 2010 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1273521237' post='2108221']

In the context of a Nuptial Masses, though, I am afraid the whole, "You may now kiss the bride," has become less about a sign of peace (in fact, I've never heard a priest/minister say they were kissing in order to demonstrate love and peace), and more about a display for everyone to watch the new couple kiss, followed by a round of applause. My husband and I did not feel that would be appropriate while still in the sanctuary, so we saved ours for the reception. Like i said before, though, it's just my opinion. :)
[/quote]
My first kiss with my husband was at the sign of peace. Our priest didn't say the anything about kissing me, so we didn't do it in front of everyone. As far as clapping, you'd have to ask DomincanSoul, as I don't have pretty much any recollection of a lot of things that day, especially, I've noticed, sounds. Like all that music I spent hours deciding on? Don't remember hearing ANY of it. But I digress...

[quote name='Slappo' date='10 May 2010 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1273532866' post='2108339']
On a similar note since clapping has been brought up, what about clapping for a newly baptized?

This isn't a human achievement, but a divine achievement. Or at least argue could be made for such a case (same with a wedding btw, as it is a sacrament taking place, we are applauding the divine union of the two, not the human achievement of finding a spouse).
[/quote]
I was wondering the same thing. I greatly dislike and feel very uncomfortable when we are supposed to clap for the choir or something. But at the parish I grew up in, there has always been clapping after baptisms, and I've never felt so uncomfortable about that. That seems more of a "Yay we have a new sibling in Christ!" As opposed to "yay, the choir gave a great performance."

KnightofChrist

As long as it's done with reverence, respect of the beauty of Holy Mass, and permission it's fine I believe. However it would also be acceptable to document abuses as evidence, even without permission.