An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liberal Catholics

dairygirl4u2c

KnightofChrist

Jesus also [i]said[/i] "Don't take joke's seriously, I mean seriously that's just crazy."

HisChildForever

[quote name='notardillacid' date='05 May 2010 - 01:01 AM' timestamp='1273035711' post='2105257']
Psychology is not science
[/quote]

Of course not. We should just run blood tests and CAT scans to understand cognitive processes, psychosis, abnormal behavior, and unexplained physical illness.

I don't like making jokes about those who are in error. Relating someone's error with mental ilness will not convert them to the truth. I am convinced that a serious but radical approach is the best way. No compromise, but no derogatory comments either.

I have to admit I have often failed to do this, though.

Pax Domini,
Ben

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='05 May 2010 - 12:51 AM' timestamp='1273035104' post='2105250']
Obviously we respect the people who hold these beliefs, but we needn't respect the beliefs themselves.
[/quote]

+1. I have a lot of Pagan friends, they know if they ask me directly if I believe they're going to Hell, I'll say it's up to God, but I wouldn't bet against it. Does that mean I don't respect them as people who are still honest, hard working, and loving of their fellow men and women? Of course not, it just means I don't give the same sort of respect to their false belief system that's leading them along the path to what more than likely will be Hell. It's not something I enjoy thinking about, but it's there none the less.

Edited by BG45

dominicansoul

[quote name='Bennn' date='06 May 2010 - 08:00 AM' timestamp='1273147242' post='2105800']
I don't like making jokes about those who are in error. Relating someone's error with mental ilness will not convert them to the truth. I am convinced that a serious but radical approach is the best way. No compromise, but no derogatory comments either.

I have to admit I have often failed to do this, though.

Pax Domini,
Ben
[/quote]

...I agree wholeheartedly, (especially with your last sentence...)

Winchester

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='05 May 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1273036045' post='2105269']
he has a point Joe. i mean, i have been here 4 years, and know you guys pretty reasonably well, and some of the posts here still make me want to choke someone.
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure hands are illegal in Canadia.

Edited by Winchester

Jesus_lol

[quote name='Winchester' date='06 May 2010 - 06:07 AM' timestamp='1273151233' post='2105822']
I'm pretty sure hands are illegal in Canadia.
[/quote]

I got a permit for these ones.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='04 May 2010 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1273005437' post='2104969']
Pope Pius IX also condemned Liberalism in his [url="http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius09/p9syll.htm"]SYLLABUS OF ERRORS CONDEMNED[/url] it's amazing how much of what him condemned is practiced today.
[/quote]

But Pius IX isn't exactly referring to the same "liberalism" as Michael Savage and Anne Coulter.

...and in case anyone didn't catch it, I was being sarcastic when I "complimented" KoC's original usage of the emotionally-charged, empty phrase "Liberalism is a mental disorder."

I'll do my best to avoid sarcasm in the future. I forgot how misunderstood it can be online.

Edited by Didymus

KnightofChrist

I'm sorry my joke offends but liberalism as it is today is very much counter to reason, and a sound mind. When did it become sane to support the murder of millions of babies and when did it become sane to support sodomy which is one of the vile sins on earth?

Much of Liberalism is not sane, and it in fact quite counter to the ordered mind God gave us.

The things you mentioned do indeed go against sanity and reason, but it cannot be compared with a mental ilness over which we have no power. You either have the ilness or not. It works a bit different with sin. We have a choice to do what is morally correct and that which is gravely disordered, making us culpable for our decisions.

Furthermore, I have come to realise that I might have spoken in an overly harsh way in several posts on this website. I apologise if this is the case. I do not take back the points I was trying to convey but I feel that I need to work on my way of doing so.

Pax Domini,
Ben

Edited by Bennn

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Bennn' date='06 May 2010 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1273163952' post='2105876']
The things you mentioned do indeed go against sanity and reason, but it cannot be compared with a mental ilness over which we have no power. You either have the ilness or not. It works a bit different with sin. We have a choice to do what is morally correct and that which is gravely disordered, making us culpable for our decisions.

Furthermore, I have come to realise that I might have spoken in an overly harsh way in several posts on this website. I apologise if this is the case. I do not take back the points I was trying to convey but I feel that I need to work on my way of doing so.

Pax Domini,
Ben
[/quote]

Sin, all sin is a mental disorder. It is by our minds that we choose to do what is ordered and reasoned or not. Someone who freely chooses to sin is not in their right mind. The ones the put Christ on the Cross were not mentally sound, for they knew not what they were doing. I did not joke about liberalism being a illness but rather a disorder and there is a difference between disorder and illness. Supporting the murder of millions of babies is in fact a mental disorder. It is crazy and it is insane, that a person freely chooses such disorder and wickedness.

organwerke

Bennn, I think that you are really a precious phatmass member because you combine a strong defence of the truth with your personal humility and this is what can really lead people to conversion.

I completely agree with your point here that liberalism can't be compared with a mental illnes, and I repeat that in my opinion this comparison is inaccurate because we are speaking of things that have a different nature, and also this comparison shows a very poor underastanding and respect towards those who have a REAL mental illness, that is not a thing you can easily make jokes.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Bennn' date='06 May 2010 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1273163952' post='2105876']

Pax Domini,
Ben
[/quote]
:clap:

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='06 May 2010 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1273166305' post='2105891']
Sin, all sin is a mental disorder. It is by our minds that we choose to do what is ordered and reasoned or not. Someone who freely chooses to sin is not in their right mind. The ones the put Christ on the Cross were not mentally sound, for they knew not what they were doing. I did not joke about liberalism being a illness but rather a disorder and there is a difference between disorder and illness. Supporting the murder of millions of babies is in fact a mental disorder. It is crazy and it is insane, that a person freely chooses such disorder and wickedness.
[/quote]

:think:

I wonder if we can plead the "insanity defense" when we stand before the throne of God?

[quote name='organwerke' date='06 May 2010 - 01:26 PM' timestamp='1273166812' post='2105894']
Bennn, I think that you are really a precious phatmass member because you combine a strong defence of the truth with your personal humility and this is what can really lead people to conversion.

I completely agree with your point here that liberalism can't be compared with a mental illnes, and I repeat that in my opinion this comparison is inaccurate because we are speaking of things that have a different nature, and also this comparison shows a very poor underastanding and respect towards those who have a REAL mental illness, that is not a thing you can easily make jokes.
[/quote]

:clap:

Apotheoun

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='06 May 2010 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1273167359' post='2105896']
I wonder if we can plead the "insanity defense" when we stand before the throne of God?[/quote]
The idea that sin is an illness is one of the most prevalent patristic approaches to the human condition, which is why Christ is called the "Great Physician" by many of the Church Fathers (see St. Ignatios of Antioch, [i]Letter to the Ephesians[/i]). :D

Edited by Apotheoun

dominicansoul

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='06 May 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1273167773' post='2105899']
The idea that sin is an illness is one of the most prevalent patristic approaches to the human condition, which is why Christ is called the "Great Physician" by many of the Church Fathers (see St. Ignatios of Antioch, [i]Letter to the Ephesians[/i]). :D
[/quote]
...so we can just plead insanity when we stand before the throne of Christ at our judgment?