An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liberal Catholics

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='05 May 2010 - 12:51 AM' timestamp='1273035104' post='2105250']
Obviously we respect the people who hold these beliefs, but we needn't respect the beliefs themselves.
[/quote]

Obvioiusly? There's plenty that's obvious about "heretics," "oxymoron," foolishness," "self-inflicted mental disorder," "distorted and disordered thinking," but respect for people who hold these beliers is not the first thing that jumps to mind... or even the last.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Luigi' date='04 May 2010 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1273035528' post='2105253']
Obvioiusly? There's plenty that's obvious about "heretics," "oxymoron," foolishness," "self-inflicted mental disorder," "distorted and disordered thinking," but respect for people who hold these beliers is not the first thing that jumps to mind... or even the last.
[/quote]
Well if you're starting from the premise that we're all Catholics, then it's only right to assume that all of us, as Catholics, are striving to love all of our neighbours, and since love entails respect, we're also respecting all our neighbours. We don't, of course, respect all their beliefs or practices, but we love and respect them as children of God.

That's the premise that we work from, that we should assume is commonly understood already.

ardillacid

[quote name='Selah' date='04 May 2010 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1273006974' post='2104989']
:rolleyes:

a ha. I most certainly am not a liberal, and I think your statement is laughable. When I see proof that you are fully qualified to make such claims about the state of someone's mental health (a Psychology degree, a social work lisence, etc) maybe I'll take you seriously rather than spew my green tea all over my computer monitor from laughing so hard.
[/quote]
Psychology is not science

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='05 May 2010 - 01:01 AM' timestamp='1273035698' post='2105256']love entails respect
[/quote]
I'm not sure I agree with this.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='05 May 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1273035745' post='2105258']
I'm not sure I agree with this.
[/quote]
Well I guess it depends how you define respect. I'm looking at it in a really abstract way, in which they're very nearly synonymous.

Jesus_lol

[quote name='Luigi' date='04 May 2010 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1273035528' post='2105253']
[/quote]

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='04 May 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1273035698' post='2105256']
Well if you're starting from the premise that we're all Catholics, then it's only right to assume that all of us, as Catholics, are striving to love all of our neighbours, and since love entails respect, we're also respecting all our neighbours. We don't, of course, respect all their beliefs or practices, but we love and respect them as children of God.

That's the premise that we work from, that we should assume is commonly understood already.
[/quote]

he has a point Joe. i mean, i have been here 4 years, and know you guys pretty reasonably well, and some of the posts here still make me want to choke someone.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='05 May 2010 - 12:07 AM' timestamp='1273036045' post='2105269']
he has a point Joe. i mean, i have been here 4 years, and know you guys pretty reasonably well, and some of the posts here still make me want to choke someone.
[/quote]
I have to assume for my own sanity that such posts are just somewhat poorly worded and that the authors have naught but the best intentions in mind. :wacko:

I still firmly believe that charity involves not compromising with beliefs that deceive the person you are trying to love as a brother or sister in Christ, and as a human being. To me, that is the same thing as offering someone a poisoned drink and I can't do this without violating my conscience.

So I agree with Resurrexi. I refuse to show respect for beliefs that the Church considers false and spiritually dangerous.

Pax Domini,
Ben

organwerke

I don't know what liberal exactly means.
But I personally don't consider horthodox catholics those who don't respect the Roman church and the pope.

Edited by organwerke

Indeed, one who cuts himself off from the Roman Pontiff and the Bishops that are in communio with him is not even Catholic to begin with.

Pax Domini,
Ben

Resurrexi

It is morally wrong to have respect for falsehood and lies; however, is is morally obligatory to have Christian charity for those who are so unfortunate as to give credence to them.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='05 May 2010 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1273091084' post='2105518']
It is morally wrong to have respect for falsehood and lies
[/quote]

Even when one is treated as a leper because he does this. ^_^

Pax Domini,
Ben

+JMJ+
wow! i'm exhausted from reading this thread and handing out pluses and minuses. :thumbsup:

organwerke

Maybe we could have respect also and first of all of those who have mental disorders or handicaps: it is not at all a pleasant thing.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Luigi' date='05 May 2010 - 12:58 AM' timestamp='1273035528' post='2105253']
[/quote]

it reminds me of the self-righteous attitude the pharisees and sadducees had towards sinners...

...and we all know what Jesus told them "Amen, I say to you, tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God before you."

[size="1"]edit for spelling[/size]

Edited by dominicansoul