An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Orders With Healthcare Apostolate

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

I have just contacted the Hawthorne Dominicans by email! Please pray for me. I asked to set up a time to "Come and See." :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='08 May 2010 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1273335218' post='2106955']
I have just contacted the Hawthorne Dominicans by email! Please pray for me. I asked to set up a time to "Come and See." :)
[/quote]

:clap: Yaaaay!

You have my prayers! :pray:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='08 May 2010 - 12:23 PM' timestamp='1273335785' post='2106959']
:clap: Yaaaay!

You have my prayers! :pray:
[/quote]

Thank you. :flowers:

she_who_is_not

Mater,
I tried to pm you but it's disabled. I've been thinking about contacting the Hawthorne Dominicans as well, but haven't. I this thing where I don't have a problem contacting communities if I don't feel a strong attraction but when I do, I can't get the nerve to go through with it. Anyway, I have way too much debt to be seriously discerning right now though. Praying for you and your visit!!!!!!
SWIN

dominicansoul

same here...i would love to contact them also, but feel like God is telling me to wait a while because of situations beyond my control...

Let us know how things go!!!

OnlySunshine

I received a reply! Please pray for my discernment. I don't want to reveal too much because it's so private and personal. Thanks for your prayers. :love:

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='10 May 2010 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1273500970' post='2108041']
I received a reply! Please pray for my discernment. I don't want to reveal too much because it's so private and personal. Thanks for your prayers. :love:
[/quote]

Oh good! I will send some Hail Marys your way.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='08 May 2010 - 12:13 PM' timestamp='1273335218' post='2106955']
I have just contacted the Hawthorne Dominicans by email! Please pray for me. I asked to set up a time to "Come and See." [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I too tried to PM you but couldn't so here goes: if you are interested in them and would like (for free!) 2 biographical books on the lives of the founders of the Dominican Hawthornes - Rose Hawthorne (Mother Alphonsa) and Alice Hubert (Mother Rose). I have had them for awhile and was hoping a PMer might be interested in this order and might want these books to read on the founders lives.

I'd send them for free. Just let me know if you think you'd like them. Or if you want, you can also wait to see if, after your Come and See visit you might want them then -- or not! who knows what God will do with you! Just let me know. My prayers go with you.

Nice story on the Atlanta Hawthorne Dominicans with a video by ESPN:

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=hospice"]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=hospice[/url] - I think the video still works, haven't tried it though.

OnlySunshine

Sr. Alma Marie and I will be setting up dates for a "Come and See" very soon! I'm so excited! :yahoo:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='17 May 2010 - 10:17 PM' timestamp='1274149023' post='2112414']
Sr. Alma Marie and I will be setting up dates for a "Come and See" very soon! I'm so excited! :yahoo:
[/quote]

:clapping: Yaaaaay!

And I've been wanting to tell you, I love your new avatar! :D

laetitia crucis

[quote name='SrBenigna' date='13 May 2010 - 10:21 AM' timestamp='1273760474' post='2109890']
Nice story on the Atlanta Hawthorne Dominicans with a video by ESPN:

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=hospice"]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=hospice[/url] - I think the video still works, haven't tried it though.
[/quote]

For some reason I can't get this video to work -- I've tried both Google Chrome and Firefox. :sadder: I tried it a few days ago, and just tried it again with no luck.

Has anyone else gotten it to work?

Perhaps I'll try Internet Explorer.... :unsure:

Obedience is important, but if you enter an order already having a degree in nursing, they are quite likely to want to put that to good use (assuming even part of their apostolate is health care). Unless you join the Missionaries of Charity. Then, I would recommend that you get a teaching degree and talk about how much you've always wanted to be a teacher - they'll be sure to put you to work in health care ;)

I hope the 'Come and See' goes well!

My sister is a nurse, and she has entered [url=http://www.sacredheartsisters.org/7259b3c9-5d1f-458a-9781-ed67d91d69ae-1033.html]the Sister Servants of the Sacred Heart[/url], a Franciscan order. While they will quite likely put her nursing skills to use, it will almost definitely be in a nursing home (not her first choice of nursing work). Also, while she would love to do mission work in Latin America, they're more likely to send her to Jamaica than Bolivia, despite having sisters in both places. Knowing this, she entered anyway. I'm not saying that obedience is a one time decision (it's not) but sometimes it's important to remember that no community is a 'perfect' match (meaning, it's never exactly what you've always envisioned).

That being said, I hope you find a Dominican nursing community that feels like home, [b]M & M[/b]!

OnlySunshine

Please pray for these Dominican Sisters and their deceased. The last email I received from Sr Alma stated that one of their elderly sisters passed away. May she rest in peace.