An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Conditions Necessary For A Council To Be Regarded As Ecumenical

militantsparrow

[quote name='Formosus' date='20 April 2010 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1271818857' post='2097154']
It was sad not because you suggested it in jest, but because I have ran into people who would take that position seriously...
[/quote]

Ah, I see. I agree with you, there. I probably should have began my comment with "Some have said..."

[quote name='Oik' date='20 April 2010 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1271818848' post='2097153']
Other than it being really cool, what exactly would be the benefit?

Who [i]must[/i] be there then?
[/quote]

A number of bishops must be there. These can be bishops from one, some, or all of the sui iuris churches.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 April 2010 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1271819110' post='2097156']
A number of bishops must be there. These can be bishops from one, some, or all of the sui iuris churches.
[/quote]

Hmm...interesting. Is there a certain number of bishop necessary (irregardless of origin)?

[quote name='Oik' date='20 April 2010 - 10:08 PM' timestamp='1271819293' post='2097158']
Hmm...interesting. Is there a certain number of bishop necessary (irregardless of origin)?
[/quote]

I think it would be ridiculous to state a minimum number. Ecumenical councils in the past have had a huge range in regard to the number of voting members attending. Obviously there should be a number that is in a way representative of the entire existing episcopate, but I do not think a definite minimum number can be stated.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='21 April 2010 - 12:21 AM' timestamp='1271820109' post='2097162']
I think it would be ridiculous to state a minimum number. Ecumenical councils in the past have had a huge range in regard to the number of voting members attending. Obviously there should be a number that is in a way [b]representative of the entire existing episcopate[/b], but I do not think a definite minimum number can be stated.
[/quote]

Yet how can western Bishop be "representative of the entire existing episcopate" when they can only represent one portion of the Church.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 April 2010 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1271820109' post='2097162']
I think it would be ridiculous to state a minimum number. Ecumenical councils in the past have had a huge range in regard to the number of voting members attending. Obviously there should be a number that is in a way representative of the entire existing episcopate, but I do not think a definite minimum number can be stated.
[/quote]

Sounds reasonable to me.

[quote name='Formosus' date='20 April 2010 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1271820276' post='2097163']
Yet how can western Bishop be "representative of the entire existing episcopate" when they can only represent one portion of the Church.
[/quote]

How can only Eastern bishops be representative of the entire episcopate, as was the case at Constantinople I?

[quote name='Formosus' date='20 April 2010 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1271820276' post='2097163']
[/quote]

Some might say that the Pope of Rome, seen as being the Supreme Pontiff and ultimate guardian of the Universal Church, could legitimately represent any episcopate either missing, absent or non-existent.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 April 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1271820569' post='2097169']
How can only Eastern bishops be representative of the entire episcopate, as was the case at Constantinople I?
[/quote]

How so, indeed. How so, indeed? :think:

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='21 April 2010 - 12:29 AM' timestamp='1271820569' post='2097169']
[/quote]

The Pope's acceptance of the Council's decisions were enough to make it Ecumenical as he can legitimately represent all the Bishops of his Patriarchate.

[quote name='Formosus' date='20 April 2010 - 10:41 PM' timestamp='1271821316' post='2097177']
The Pope's acceptance of the Council's decisions were enough to make it Ecumenical as he can legitimately represent all the Bishops of his Patriarchate.
[/quote]

Would you agree with what Oik stated earlier, namely, that the Pope, as head of the College of Bishops, can represent those bishops not present at an ecumenical council?

The Pope can represent members of his patriarchate or a Bishop from an Eastern church could give the Pope the right to represent him at a Council. This is merely my personal opinion and I realize it differs from the teachings of VI and VII.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 April 2010 - 11:11 PM' timestamp='1271823078' post='2097194']
Would you agree with what Oik stated earlier, namely, that the Pope, as head of the College of Bishops, can represent those bishops not present at an ecumenical council?
[/quote]

Should read "Would you agree with what Oik stated some might say..."

• 3 weeks later...
militantsparrow

What about the VI ecumenical council in which Pope Honorius was excommunicated. The Pope couldn't have signed off in that case.