An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christopher West On Sabbatical

Lil Red

KnightofChrist

[quote name='God Conquers' date='14 April 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1271285191' post='2093581']
Let's look at your original quote:

hmmmm...

Nope, that's not what you meant at all.

What did you mean?

There is no "Traditional", or "Current", "old" or "new", "liberal" or "conservative".

There is only Catholic.

I don't think anyone disagrees with what you do about the Vice. WHat I don't get is why you are trying to contrast Christopher West's teaching with what the Church teaches. If that isn't what you are doing, explain yourself properly. Don't pretend you meant what you clearly did not.
[/quote]

You are informed about Sacred Tradition? This is what I meant by Traditional Catholic thought. I will admit my memory failed me I thought I had applied that to his statements on sodomy, because it is applicable. But it is still true for other statements not in line with Sacred Tradition, also known as Apostolic Tradition. This is the reason why he is having his current difficulties.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='14 April 2010 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1271278606' post='2093500']
I am not. The first quote "There’s nothing inherently wrong with anal penetration as foreplay to normal intercourse." is his direct quote. He only later changed it because it is not in line with Church teaching.

You are speaking of the revised passage, not the original. Even the revised passage only "subjectively" 'condemns' sodomy.[/quote]
I am quoting from the only version of that book which I have read, so I cannot comment on what the original said. If Mr. West has made past errors which he has since retracted, there is no point in repeatedly bringing them up to condemn him. That's not Christ-like, but pharisaical.

[quote]It is hardly condemning it within marriage, only subjectively, which leaves open the possibility that it can in some cases be ok. Again it is not slander. His original quote from his book Good News About Sex and Marriage was "There’s nothing inherently wrong with anal penetration as foreplay to normal intercourse." Which is support for sodomy within marriage.
[/quote]
He brings this act up only once, in answer to a claim that there is nothing wrong with this act as foreplay so long as it ends with ejaculation in the right place. He responds by calling this a "legalistic" justification, and by saying that the act is physically very unhealthy and dangerous, and that it is aesthetically disgusting, and concludes by saying that it more likely stems from disordered lust than true love.

The very worst you can accuse him of here is of not being sufficiently strong in his condemnation. He says absolutely nothing positive about the act, and gives several reasons why it is wrong.
That's a far cry from him "supporting sodomy," as you keep charging.

Again, if he said something different in the past, he has since retracted it. There is no good reason to keep bringing it up. Sorry, but there's nothing "honorable" about that. Maybe everyone should take a sabbatical from discussing it, and keep to quiet prayers.

[quote name='Socrates' date='14 April 2010 - 04:04 PM' timestamp='1271286267' post='2093585'] If Mr. West has made past errors which he has since retracted, there is no point in repeatedly bringing them up to condemn him. That's not Christ-like, but pharisaical.

Again, if he said something different in the past, he has since retracted it. There is no good reason to keep bringing it up. Sorry, but there's nothing "honorable" about that. Maybe everyone should take a sabbatical from discussing it, and keep to quiet prayers.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
agreed. i didn't start this thread to start a debate, but to ask for people to pray for his discernment.

please pray for him and his family. thread closed.