An Old School Catholic Message Board

Savonarola

Resurrexi

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[img]http://senderosdeasfalto.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/girolamosavonarola12.jpg[/img]

Edited by Resurrexi

Not my idea of someone to emulate. You do know baseball season has started, just in case you're bored.

It's my fault :sadder:

Although I have heard "both sides of the story" regarding him ... my view of him is generally negative.

Although I do think it's interesting that Bd. Pier Giorgio Frassati chose "Girolamo" as his Third Order Dominican name, after Savonarola. :idontknow:

C'mon he couldn't have been that bad ... ;)

"Pier Giorgio once wrote to a friend, 'I am a fervent admirer of this friar (Savonarola), who died as a saint at the stake.'"

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='13 April 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1271205144' post='2092836']
It's my fault [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sadder.gif[/img]

[/quote]

What's not your fault? It's certainly not your fault that baseball season has started.

And, I doubt you were involved in the Spanish inquisition in any way.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='13 April 2010 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1271205452' post='2092845']
What's not your fault? It's certainly not your fault that baseball season has started.

[/quote]

Oh good - I don't like baseball anyway! :smokey:

;)

goldenchild17

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='13 April 2010 - 06:08 PM' timestamp='1271203733' post='2092825']
[img]http://senderosdeasfalto.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/girolamosavonarola12.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I like him and think he has been unfairly vilified overall. That's not to say I agree with everything he did or said necessarily, but I'm a fan.

Edited by goldenchild17

I read the biography of Blessed Piergiorgio Frassati, "The Man of the Beatitudes," written by his sister. It said thar Piergiorgio was a third order Dominican and took Savonarola as his patron in the Dominican Order. If Piergiorgio thought he was good, maybe people should think bettere of Savonarola. Perhaps the media has trashed Savonarola like they do to other Saints.

[quote name='Buckeye' date='20 April 2010 - 09:07 AM' timestamp='1271772466' post='2096747']
I read the biography of Blessed Piergiorgio Frassati, "The Man of the Beatitudes," written by his sister. It said thar Piergiorgio was a third order Dominican and took Savonarola as his patron in the Dominican Order. If Piergiorgio thought he was good, maybe people should think bettere of Savonarola. Perhaps the media has trashed Savonarola like they do to other Saints.
[/quote]

I guess if you consider the Renaissance papacy the media, then that is probably the case. :P

God Conquers

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 April 2010 - 05:37 PM' timestamp='1271799438' post='2096962']
I guess if you consider the Renaissance papacy the media, then that is probably the case. :P
[/quote]

Oh man... the news would be so much more fun.