An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Spirituality In A Religious Order

Cherie

Considering the fact that I've noticed many people have a leaning towards Dominicans, Franciscans, Carmelites, Benedictines, etc. I thought I would start a topic asking around. I love all of them and I'm always interested to see what people are drawn to. :)

What is your favorite spirituality in a religious order, and why?

For myself, I would say my favorite (though I love them all) is Franciscan (although Carmelite is a close second). The community I was with was Dominican/Franciscan, and while I greatly admire the Dominicans, I always found myself identifying more closely with the Franciscan aspects of our charism. I love the fact that Franciscan spirituality is very much based on the Incarnation. I love the Carmelites since I spent three years discerning with them, and the patroness of my home parish was St. Therese, so I did a lot of Carmelite reading in those days! :)

What about y'all? :smokey:

laetitia crucis

Oooh, you should make this a poll! :woot:

Very good question -- I've been thinking about making a poll for VS about this for a while. Thank you for beating me to it! :clap: :D

Okay.... :scratchhead:

I need to ponder my answer. :think:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='10 April 2010 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1270915783' post='2090453']
Oooh, you should make this a poll! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/woot.gif[/img]

Very good question -- I've been thinking about making a poll for VS about this for a while. Thank you for beating me to it! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]

Okay.... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/think_head.gif[/img]

I need to ponder my answer. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/think_chin.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I'm going to eagerly await your answers because <head bowed in shame> I can't tell the difference in spirituality between one order and another from their Web sites. I know they are VERY different, but a lot of their statements about their spirituality sound very much the same to me, the ignorant one. The only order that really stands out as being different is the Passionists, what with having to carry a cross on your back when you take first vows(?) and the whole life of penance.

So, this discussion will be very educational for me.

Great topic.

My first question for you is the 'why' of your decision. You mention you like that the Franciscan spirituality is based on the Incarnation. For those who are unfamiliar with Franciscans, I think it'd be great to hear a little more about not only what you've written but other reasons the Franciscan charism attracts you.

As for me, I've always seemed more Carmelite than anything. In fact, all my favorite saints attached to any religious order are Carmelites. Carmel to me is being alone with the Great Alone. It's contemplation. It's silence and solitude. It's removing myself from the passions of the world and immersing myself with the only One that matters. How that is lived from Carmel to Carmel varies greatly. But... I guess if I had to pinpoint more closely my leanings it'd actually be more because of Elijah than any other Carmelite saint's influence, ie: Teresa of Avila or John of the Cross. While they are a few of my favorite 'modern' Carmelites (and to me, any saint from Teresa's Carmelite Reformation until now is modern), my attraction to Carmel stems more from the basic eremitical precepts that our Desert Fathers and Elijah have made 'famous'. Don't get me wrong. I have books upon books from Elizabeth of the Trinity, John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila (Teresa of Jesus), Teresa of the Andes (also Teresa of Jesus), and even have a 3 ft Teresa of Avila statue in my home. I love these saints! But I also have become more self aware to know the reason I'm attracted to Carmel is not because of them. They're just icing on the beautiful cake that is the Carmelite way of life... a way of life that manifests a little differently from place to place, from person to person.

As I read more about Carmel, hermits in general, the Desert Fathers and Mothers, and Eastern monasticism (which in general do not attempt to adopt any particular charism- Dominican, Franciscan, etc.,) , the more I believe the reason I've always been attracted to Carmel is because its focus is more on eremitic or semi-eremitc leanings vs. a firm identity with a particular saint -Francis, Dominic, Augustine, Frances de Sales, Servants of God who've founded the smaller orders, etc.

Thanks for starting this topic. Other responses will be fascinating to read.

laetitia crucis

If anyone is interested, I found this to be a good page to read up on various spiritualities within the Church: [url="http://www.domcentral.org/study/aumann/cs/default.htm"]Christian Spirituality in the Catholic Tradition[/url] -- Jordan Aumann, O.P.

Very insightful. :twothumbsup:

laetitia crucis

Okay, here we go!

[quote name='William A. Hinnebusch, OP']The Dominican enters the Order of Friars Preachers to save his soul. He could have saved it outside the Order, but, once he takes vows, must save it through the spirituality of the Order. Nothing could be more vital for him, therefore, than to understand Dominican spirituality. It is composed of the end St. Dominic chose for his Order and the means he established to realize this end. In practice, the Order's spirituality means living the religious life as it is prescribed in the Rule of St. Augustine, the Constitutions, and the family customs which have developed over the centuries. If the Dominican lives these things established for him, he follows a spirituality that will lead him to salvation.

St. Dominic embraced the same general elements of the Christian life shared by others in the Church, but blended them into a specific spirituality that is original, balanced, and unique. [b]The spiritual life of the Friars Preachers draws from Sacred Scripture, bases itself on the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, the Sacraments, and the liturgy, incorporates principles of traditional asceticism, and drinks from the purest sources of Western mysticism and monasticism.[/b] It shares characteristics found in the spirituality of the clergy, in earlier monasticism, and in the evangelical movements of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. But the Order of Preachers has given all these common elements a Dominican emphasis. Even where its spirituality most closely touches that of another group, such as the Franciscans, it emphasizes shared elements in a distinctive way. For example, though poverty is a major characteristic of the spiritual life of Dominicans, it has never dominated the spiritual horizon as it does among Franciscans. Instead Dominican life has pivoted around the preaching apostolate.

[b]The spirituality of the Friars Preachers is exceedingly lofty. It is theocentric, Christological, sacerdotal (in origin, the Order is a branch of Canons Regular and is, therefore, predominantly priestly in membership), monastic, contemplative, and apostolic. It is, in truth, the spirituality of Christ the Preacher and of the Apostles. The primary intention is to elevate the friar to the heights of contemplation, but going beyond this, Dominican contemplation itself is intended to fructify in the apostolate for souls, especially through preaching, teaching, and writing. Contemplation is the generic element, the one the Friars Preachers share with other contemplative Orders; the salvation of souls through preaching is the specific note distinguishing Dominicans from all other Orders[/b]. The Constitutions clearly indicate this twofold character:

[indent]The principal reason we are gathered together is that we dwell together in harmony and have one mind and one heart in God, in other words, that we be found perfect in charity. . . [b]Our Order is known to have been founded from the beginning expressly for preaching and the salvation of souls. [/b]

. . .This end we ought to pursue, [b]preaching and teaching from the abundance and fulness of contemplation[/b] in imitation of our most holy Father Dominic, who spoke only with God or of God for the benefit of souls.[/indent]

- [i][url="http://www.domcentral.org/trad/domspirit/default.htm"]Dominican Spirituality: Principles and Practices[/url][/i], Ch. 1

(Emphasis mine.)[/quote]

:shock:

I know, I know... shocking, isn't it? :mellow:

[size="1"](Actually, I did have a [b]really [/b]difficult time distinguishing between "Marian" vs. "Dominican".)[/size]

So... why Dominican?

Well, along with the highlighted bits above, I suppose the main attraction or resonance is found with that desire to know and attain Truth, and then to pass it on to others. (The whole "contemplate and share the fruits of one's contemplation" thing. :smokey: ) Pretty much throughout my whole life, I've always been what one might call a "truth seeker"; I struggled in this journey through various New Age and/or occult practices, various Protestant denominations, and also various periods of being a relativistic "generic" Christian. Through it all, I had this innate desire to grasp Truth, to know Truth, to love Truth... to say the least, I did a lot of research and it (Blessed be God!) finally lead me to the Catholic Church. My own reason could not deny the Truth found in the Church, even though my feelings rebelled against the mere thought of being a Catholic. :paperbag: :hehehe:

However, the grace of God is remarkable and what has been given to me through that desire for Divine Truth, has only continued to grow in abundance. The more I contemplate Truth, the more I love Truth. This love cannot be contained for it overflows into this dire need to share what I have learned through grace and reason. (Although, I must admit, it is somewhat in my nature to be a tad on the "zealous" side of things. If I really like something, I [i]REALLY[/i] like it and want others to like it, too. :lol: I guess it's wonderfully providential that I never really liked Satan. :sweat: )

Since becoming a Roman Catholic, the thought had repeatedly come to mind, "If people could really [i]know[/i] Truth... how could they possibly deny It?" After all, it is in our nature to seek that which is the ultimate Good and ultimate Truth, only often enough it seems we just need a little help along the way. Therefore, I wish to give to others what grace has given me -- the way of my salvation -- and to be an instrument of that grace and Truth for the salvation of others. And of course, to do all of these things with, in, and through Mary to Jesus! :love:

[size="1"]Although, it is a wee wish of mine that all Dominicans had a fourth Vow of unlimited consecration to Our Lady. Or, perhaps more like the [url="http://www.marymediatrix.com"]Franciscans of the Immaculate[/url], I wish the Dominicans' First Vow was one of unlimited consecration to Our Lady, followed by the normal three vows. Now I'm just being picky. :P [/size]

laetitia crucis

P.S. -- I am very much drawn to the Marian spirituality of St. Maximilian Kolbe and the [url="http://www.marymediatrix.com"]Franciscans of the Immaculate[/url]. Especially that which is laid out in their [url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/PRIESTS/TRACMARI.TXT"]Traccia Mariana[/url]. (see link)

[quote]
By virtue of our vow of unlimited and total consecration to the Blessed Virgin Mary, it is our mission and duty to give Mary to souls, to cause them to discover and know Her, to make all hearts love Her, using every means in order that She may bring souls to Jesus and transform them into other Christs "in the swiftest, surest, most beautiful way." (St. Maximilian)

"One who is consecrated knows that in the Immaculate Virgin and through the Immaculate Virgin one will, in the quickest and easiest possible way, become one with Jesus, on with God. He knows that in and through him She will love Jesus in a matchless, perfect manner, in whatever one may seek to do, whatever be the way... He knows that this is the only way to that sanctity which is the easiest and most sublime, tending to God's greatest glory" (from "Material for A Book").[/quote]

That first quote speaks the deepest desires of my heart. :love:

Makes me wish Fr. Stefano M. Manelli, FI could also found the "Dominicans of the Immaculate". :cloud9:

TeresaBenedicta

Whew. Tough question.

I think I'd have to say that I am most attracted to the Dominican spirituality, for pretty much exactly the same reasons that lc posted. I just have a great and deep love and yearning for Truth, and that is what God used to spark my conversion from atheism to Catholic. I too love the "contemplate and share the fruits of contemplation."

Coming in as a close second, however, is the Carmelite spirituality. The great Carmelite writers and saints have provided for much of my growth in prayer... And I don't know if this is because I am naturally attracted to the spirituality, or if it's because my spiritual director (who got me right after my conversion, so he's been my major formator) gave me a lot spiritually reading that consisted of Carmelite spirituality.

I'm also attracted to Ignatian (sp?) spirituality and the discernment of spirit, although I've just never really been formed in that manner. Our chaplain is very much Ignatian and I've learned a lot from him and his spirituality.

Edit: And, again, like lc, I have a great devotion to Our Blessed Mother and my spirituality is very much formed by that as well.

Edited by TeresaBenedicta

Lilllabettt

I like Salesian spirituality. ( Because of the emphasis on the "little" virtues, surrender to Divine Providence, First Friday devotions, Etc.)

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='10 April 2010 - 05:56 PM' timestamp='1270932961' post='2090581']
I like Salesian spirituality. ( Because of the emphasis on the "little" virtues, surrender to Divine Providence, First Friday devotions, Etc.)
[/quote]

Me too! I love everything I've read by St. Francis de Sales so far.

"Ask for nothing, refuse nothing."

Anything to do with Divine Mercy! Before that my spirituality was based on me, myself, and I :sweat:

They all sound so wonderful though its hard to pick so I will go with the two that basically fell into my lap (or that God dropped there) Ignatian and Carmelite. <_< Why? Thats tough! Im going to have to give this some more thought. I certainly didnt start off liking those two and actually until recently I would have categorized them as my least favorite. Any time I tell God I dont like something and thats that He goes and turns the tables on me. :topsy:

OnlySunshine

I am very attracted to Marian orders. Especially those who have a special devotion to Our Lady Immaculate. She has been my role model in chastity and obedience to God's will. I'm curious about the Order of the Visitation of Mary. I've always loved the mystery of the Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth. To me, Mary is all about courage, grace, peace, love and obedience to God's Holy Will, which is exactly what I want my life to mirror.

Running in close behind is Dominican and Franciscan spiritualities. I am very drawn to the study of truth in the Order of Preachers, but I love the simplicity of the rule in the Franciscan order. :)

[quote name='vee8' date='10 April 2010 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1270947084' post='2090715']
Anything to do with Divine Mercy! Before that my spirituality was based on me, myself, and I :sweat:

They all sound so wonderful though its hard to pick so I will go with the two that basically fell into my lap (or that God dropped there) Ignatian and Carmelite. <_< Why? Thats tough! Im going to have to give this some more thought. I certainly didnt start off liking those two and actually until recently I would have categorized them as my least favorite. Any time I tell God I dont like something and thats that He goes and turns the tables on me. :topsy:
[/quote]

Well, I'd never thought of Divine Mercy being its own spirituality. :duh: I guess I haven't had enough :drpepper: today. When thinking of spirituality I think of all the major Rules the Church has allowed (ie: Benedict, Francis, Augustine, St Albert and of course the [mainly] Eastern Rule of St. Basil). Most of the smaller orders still have one of the Rules (ie: Sisters of Life use the Rule of St. Augustine, etc), although I've spoken to a couple of Sisters throughout my discernment and they say something like although their official Rule is from St.__________ they really don't incorporate so-and-so's spirituality into their daily charism.

So, yeah... speaking of ALL the spiritualities out there in religious life, I'd have to say Carmelite or semi-eremiticism/eremiticism interspersed with Divine Mercy and eschatology. Thanks for pointing this wonderful spirituality out, because apparently I was unable to see the forest for the trees!

Dominican - hands down - for the reasons lc specified (I REALLY like the contemplation and sharing the fruits of it, and I REALLY like the emphasis on preaching - in all its forms including art), but also because over most of the history of the order, they have...

1. just had good sense (some silliness here and there, but all orders have some);
2. remained unified (some orders have split, divided, competed within themselves - I know the Dominicans have gone through periods of the same, but they worked through it and came out pretty well unified);
3. been inclusive in their unity - men and women, active and contemplative, priests and brothers, nuns and sisters (the Franciscans are the next closest, but they do draw a distinction between the OSFs and the OSCs, with variations within each of those - but ALL Dominicans are designated OPs... now that I think about it a little longer, the Benedictines & Trappists are also inclusive in their unity) - maybe what I'm really talking about here is that the charism is played out in all of its forms?
4. had an international perspective from the very foundations of the order (as opposed to some orders that have a strong emphasis on one cultural tradition).