An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Shouldn't The Pope Go To Jail For His Cover-Up Of Abuse While

Presbylicious

Guest Srlla minore

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='03 April 2010 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1270312301' post='2086093']
I thought that clerics were to be tried in an ecclesiastical court rather than a civil court? Obviously, however, that would not be possible in that case since "The first See is judged by no-one." (Can. 1404)[/quote]

I think seculars [unbelievers] do not have to follow canon law.

What about that letter that he signed about Stephen Kiesle? I'm not accusing him of anything, but I'm not sure I've seen a refutation of it in this thread. It just came out in the newspaper together with the scandal focus in Norway right now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kazzmedia

[quote name='Presbylicious' date='03 April 2010 - 04:47 AM' timestamp='1270288042' post='2085957']
Hey folks,

First, please understand that this isn't intended to be an attack. I understand fully the degree to which Catholics venerate the Pope, which is precisely [i]why [/i]I'm asking this question.

Also please note that I'm not naive enough to think this is just a Roman Catholic problem. In fact, I know a girl who grew up in a Southern Baptist church who refuses to have anything to do with Christianity now because she was sexually assaulted by a member of the leadership.

My self-professed 'anti-theist' atheist friend keeps posting news articles about the Roman Catholic Church and the rapidly unfolding scandal of sexual abuse within it. He keeps pointing out how Cardinal Ratzinger allegedly knew about sex abuse which was going on in his own diocese and, as Pope, the Church at large, and did nothing about it.

I'm interested in being armed with knowledge to the contrary, since although I'm not Catholic, I am a -very- firm believer that if one part of the Church is hurting, we all are hurt.

From Wikipedia:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XVI"]http://en.wikipedia....pe_Benedict_XVI[/url]

[/quote]