An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mandatory Reporting

MissScripture

MissScripture

In a class I am taking about Geriatrics, we were discussing elder abuse, and the pros and cons of reporting it, which brought up the question of if mandatory reporting of suspected abuse by heathcare workers(in most states it is mandatory)is a good thing or if it is better to be handled on a case-by-case basis. I am curious about other people's opinions, as I can see both sides of it and really don't know if it's good or not. Thoughts?

homeschoolmom

Maybe it would be helpful if you explained under what circumstances it would be better not to report it.

MissScripture

First, to clarify, I'm talking about abuse of adults, not children, so essentially, if the abuse is truly happening, in child abuse, you can force the child to be removed from the situation to some extent. With adults, it's not so easy. The people can chose, or because of circumstances such as money, may feel required to remain in the situation, and if the abuser finds out it was reported, the abuse may escalate. It could also destroy trust in a healthcare worker if the patient didn't want it reported and finds out that it was reported. There is also the autonomy of the person to be taken into account when dealing with adults. They have the right to make certain decisions about their lives, and not have others do things because they feel they know better, and they may not want the abuse reported. Should it still be mandated that it is reported?

On the other hand, people in abusive situations have the psychological aspect of the abuse going on, so they may feel like they have no control over the situation and that they can't get out of the situation. If someone, such as a healthcare worker, does not report it, it may go un-reported and un-noticed by anyone else until something terrible happens. As it is not mandated where I go to school, one classmate made fairly clear that he would not report any abuse of adults, because it should be their responsibility, as an adult, to get themselves out of a situation of abuse.

I am for mandatory reporting for the elderly, kids, and the disabled. In Florida if you prey on someone from those groups, either physical or financial, the penalties are double.

cmotherofpirl

There are not two sides to reporting abuse. Its a crime and as a catholic I don't see how anyone could FAIL to report it.

[quote name='MissScripture' date='28 March 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1269808435' post='2082126']As it is not mandated where I go to school, one classmate made fairly clear that he would not report any abuse of adults, because it should be their responsibility, as an adult, to get themselves out of a situation of abuse.
[/quote]
It's not always as simple as expecting an adult to get themselves out of a bad situation. Look at domestic violence. A lot of abused women have been conditioned to accept or endure abuse from their husbands. Yes, they could theoretically leave, but their freedom is impaired by their psychological conditioning.

Another consideration is that, if one person is being abused in a hospital or nursing home, they may very well not be the only person being abused. They may not be inclined to report the abuse because they are willing to endure it (for whatever reason), but by remaining silent, they may be affecting other people as well.

If I was personally aware of abuse going on in a nursing home/hospital, not only would I report it, but I think it would be my duty as a human being (not just as an employee) to follow up as far as possible and make sure that the abuse has stopped.

Edited by Era Might

As a nurse working in Aged Care, I can confirm that abuse sometimes occurs within institutions and within families, be it verbal, physical, psychological or monetary. We in Aged Care, or Gerontology if you prefer it, have probably seen it in some form or other during our careers.

ANY abuse must be reported, and to fail to do so is adding to the abuse 100 fold. These are our most vulnerable citizens, and to say they are adults and can get themselves out of the situation, is IMHO - utterly wrong. Take a patient with dementia - do they have the mental capacity to get themselves out of an abusive situation - I know they do not. I have worked in a Facility where I have seen a Nursing Assistant slap an elderly gentleman just because he would not do what was asked of him. I reported that N.A. and she received the appropriate punishment - and I would do it again.

I know that some of our Aged can be trying at times, but that does not excuse abuse in any form. Families too can be abusive to their elderly relatives. I personally know of one family who "persuaded" their elderly parent to give them " power of attorney" over the money that this person had in the bank, and then proceeded to empty the account unbeknown to the elderly parent. It was only when this person died that the monetary abuse came to light, when there was not enough money in his A/c to pay for his Funeral. And people say this is not abuse!!

We as Christians have an obligation to protect our most vulnerable citizens, and failing to do so compounds the abuse, as knowing about it and not doing something about it, is as bad as the abuse itself. In fact its worse!!!

We are all going to be old one day, some sooner than others, and I would ask you to put yourself in the elderlys' position - would you like someone to physically abuse you - or you be a victim of monetary abuse?

Do unto others..........

rhetoricfemme

Any sort of abuse should definitely be reported. In the case of adults in domestically abusive situations, perhaps the health care worker should first everything they can to coax the abused out of the situation. I wouldn't expect this to be easy, especially since so many times the abused person feels like there is no hope for them getting away, or they might feel like they deserve what the treatment they're getting. If they cannot be convinced, then it would be fair to inform them that you're obligated to inform the authorities of the abuse, and that it's only for their well-being. It would quite possibly also be for the well-being of anyone who may become involved with the abusive person in the future.

As for disabled and geriatric folks, I cannot imagine an incident where it is anything other than appropriate and mandatory that the abuse be reported. End of story. I understand that money might be on the line, or people might be implicated or whatever, but none of that matters in the end. When the disabled or elderly are being abused in any way, it should be the responsibility of anyone with information about it to fight for that person's rights, and any assets they may have that may also be on the line.

[quote name='MissScripture' date='28 March 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1269808435' post='2082126']
one classmate made fairly clear that he would not report any abuse of adults, because it should be their responsibility, as an adult, to get themselves out of a situation of abuse.
[/quote]
This dude is in the wrong line of work.
[quote name='CatherineM' date='28 March 2010 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1269808450' post='2082127']
I am for mandatory reporting for the elderly, kids, and the disabled. In Florida if you prey on someone from those groups, either physical or financial, the penalties are double.
[/quote]
This is good to hear.

Brother Adam

[quote name='MissScripture' date='28 March 2010 - 04:57 PM' timestamp='1269806261' post='2082093']
In a class I am taking about Geriatrics, we were discussing elder abuse, and the pros and cons of reporting it, which brought up the question of if mandatory reporting of suspected abuse by heathcare workers(in most states it is mandatory)is a good thing or if it is better to be handled on a case-by-case basis. I am curious about other people's opinions, as I can see both sides of it and really don't know if it's good or not. Thoughts?
[/quote]

If you know there is abuse taking place, report it.

If you are assuming abuse because of something you think you heard or saw, seek advice before moving forward.

Interesting topic. It reminds me of one time a few years ago when grandma was in the hospital.

Rather than eat our leftovers, we give them to her so she doesn't have to try and actually cook unless she wants to. So usually at the outset of every good meal, we set aside nearly a third or fourth for grandma to have later when we take it over to her.

Why do I mention this? Because she told the doctor that we fed her the scraps from our tables.