An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Proper Way For A Catholic To Address A Member Of The Anglican Cler

IgnatiusofLoyola

Vincent Vega

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='27 March 2010 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1269744031' post='2081779']so USAirways should feel free to do what is most comfortable for him.
[/quote]
That's the thing, I'd like to call him Father, I just want to make sure I'm keeping kosher within my own camp by doing so.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='27 March 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1269740423' post='2081714']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sadwalk.gif[/img]
I thought things were going kind of well.

<skip>

Conclusion: Please don't leave.
[/quote]

Thank-you, that means more than I can say. And, I haven't left yet. I'm going to sleep on it tonight to get some perspective.

FYI. Take a look again at my post to US Airways--Post #11. I added a little more explanation of why I came to Phatmass, and what I'm going through right now that sometimes causes me to overreact.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

I was an Anglo-Catholic before I converted to Catholicism back in the 1980s, so I have met several Anglican / Episcopal clerics in my time. That said, I see no reason why a Catholic cannot call an Anglican cleric "father" or an Anglican bishop "reverend," etc., because in doing so you are merely being courteous. It does not follow from the use of a title of respect that you believe - as a Catholic - that the Anglican Communion has valid priestly orders.

After all even Vatican press releases call Rowan Williams the Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury.

Edited by Apotheoun

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='27 March 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1269744129' post='2081781']
That's the thing, I'd like to call him Father, I just want to make sure I'm keeping kosher within my own camp by doing so.
[/quote]

That helps a lot. I understand much better now why you posted your question in the phorum you did.

Vincent Vega

As a matter of fact, he's a really cool guy and from everything I can gather, a decent and upstanding Christian, so every time I pass by his parish, I say an Ave Maria for the reuniting of his community and the Roman Church so that one day, I can receive Jesus in the Eucharist with and from him.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='27 March 2010 - 08:47 PM' timestamp='1269744456' post='2081791']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E_VeC1XAtY[/media]

:mellow:
[/quote]
I thought they were gonna kiss at the end of that video excerpt.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUtP8l8p8mo[/media]

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='27 March 2010 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1269744129' post='2081781']
[/quote]
In my opinion, for what it is worth, it would be "kosher," because you are not making a profession of faith. :) You are just being courteous.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='27 March 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1269740342' post='2081712']
I of course respect everyone's beliefs as well.
[/quote]

I have absolutely no respect for falsehood. I do, however, respect those who are so unfortunate as to hold false beliefs.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='27 March 2010 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1269739254' post='2081704']
I'll just pretend I didn't hear that.

I've made a choice to respect beliefs that aren't completely in agreement with mine. Heck, I also respect certain non-Christian beliefs, such as Judaism. What you choose to do is up to you.

But "smugness" is a sin in my book--it assumes that you understand God as perfectly as Jesus did. I figure that, as human beings, none of us can come close to fully understanding God, so most of us are just trying to do the best we can. Even individuals in the Catholic church over the centuries have fallen far short, no matter how dogmatic the beliefs they espouse. I'm sure the late Cardinal Cody of Chicago was very dogmatic in what he preached, even as he kept a mistress in fur coats and a condo in Miami. I'm not saying that all Catholics are hypocrites by ANY means, just that I personally have become wary of dogmatism and instead have tried to become more humble, because there is still SO MUCH I have to learn about God.

BTW--I'm getting very close to leaving after many of the comments tonight. I think I've been pretty good at showing respect and listening, and taking what is said here seriously. But, if the Phatmass is so self-righteous and perfect that it can't accept even people who are respectful of the posters' beliefs, I'm outta here. I've learned to realize where I'm not welcome. I won't kid myself that anyone will even notice I'm gone, and you can go back to "preaching to the choir."

Sorry to take all this out on you nihil. You've always been very nice to me. It's just that it's been coming to a head over the past few hours.

Unlike what is said at the top of the debate forum, apparently non-Catholics are NOT welcome.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
don't leave. you're nice. :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Lil Red' date='28 March 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1269799098' post='2082027']
+JMJ+
don't leave. you're nice. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Thank-you so much for the post! Others have send me messages or made posts to me, and I've been so surprised! (But, VERY pleasantly so.)

I've decided to stay (for now), if only as a penance for the rest of you! LOL I will simply try not to read the posts that I know will offend me.

Although, I'd personally appreciate it if the Anglicans got a break from negative discussions for a little while, and let the phorums move on to the Baptists, the Mormons, the Moonies, snake-handlers, etc. However, despite my asking, I know that you are going to post on whatever subject moves you--because that is the purpose of the Phorum.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='28 March 2010 - 04:18 PM' timestamp='1269803889' post='2082053']
Thank-you so much for the post! Others have send me messages or made posts to me, and I've been so surprised! (But, VERY pleasantly so.)

I've decided to stay (for now), if only as a penance for the rest of you! LOL I will simply try not to read the posts that I know will offend me.

Although, I'd personally appreciate it if the Anglicans got a break from negative discussions for a little while, and let the phorums move on to the Baptists, the Mormons, the Moonies, snake-handlers, etc. However, despite my asking, I know that you are going to post on whatever subject moves you--because that is the purpose of the Phorum.
[/quote]
Dearie we don't really [i]pick[/i] on any group, but we do comment on various activities that make the news, whatever they are doing- especially when they seem to go off the deep end of sanity. We like Anglicans, I would be thrilled to attend an Anglican rite Catholic Church, and when I lived in England for a bit I adored Vespers, however the more liberal wing of any group doesn't fare well here.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='28 March 2010 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1269803889' post='2082053']

[/quote]
Hey, that reminds me. If you're somewhat traditionally inclined (which I get the impression you are), I highly recommend the [url="http://themcj.com/"]Midwest Conservative Journal[/url]. It's a blog that is mostly about Anglicans, specifically the Episcopalians, and also about politics. It's written by an anglo-Catholic guy who is sick of the direction the Episcopalians have been going. Interesting perspective.

Edited by Nihil Obstat