An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seceding States And Counties

dairygirl4u2c

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

i could see people saying the county issue is like the idea of states seceding from the union. obviously, there's historical legal differences, arguably. and there surely are in at least some sense, it's not even considered something people could do, county wise, but state wise, it's at least plausible since the states got together to for the union. but there's still a point to be made for those who insist the union is one, end of discussion, much like a contract was made and then seceding is breaching. it's an argument, not that i agree with it. im not sure really.

I voted no to 1 but yes to 2 and 3

I guess I don't really know what else the civil war was about

im a bad american :)

Sternhauser

Now, I know what you're trying to get at here, and that's groovy and all, but the basics have to be stuck to. My predictable responses:

1. The south didn't fight in a civil war.

2. Collectives do not have rights. Individuals have rights.

3. See number 2.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='25 March 2010 - 01:16 AM' timestamp='1269494166' post='2079613']

1. The south didn't fight in a civil war.
[/quote]
Shame on me for not correcting the semantics, thanks for catching that.

People want the states to be able to secede, but they want the Union to force those states to stay in the Union. :rolleyes:

I vote that Florida become part of Canada

[img]http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/epic-fail-flag-fail.jpg[/img]

God Conquers

Me too!!!!! Yay, no passport needed!

Serious side:

From someone who lives in a country where there is an ongoing campaign by a province wanting to secede, it is not something that should be undertaken lightly. It effects all the citizens of the nation, not just those who want to break away. There is the threat of violence, there is a tremendous waste of taxpayer money. There is internal opposition to deal with. People move in large numbers just at the threat of secession and it hurts economy and culture.

[quote name='desertwoman' date='25 March 2010 - 08:50 AM' timestamp='1269521416' post='2079665']
Nope for one...obvious reasons.

Yes for the other two.
[/quote]
For one, I took the assumption it stated, that slavery would not be part of the equation, i.e. it either didn't exist or disappeared immediately when the states seceded.

I said Yes for 2 & 3 with a caveat. Don't be surprised if the country or state wants their land back.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote]Do you wish the South won the Civil War[/quote]

Again I think you have misspelled the "War of Northern Aggression"

Also, no counties do not have the right to break away from their states since the states are supposed to be the representatives of the people and thus that should be the line that people break on. Thus West Virginia is not a state because of this, as well as the fact that they never actually ratified the Constitution (justly or legally) like every other state since out of 195 votes only 39 were cast by actual citizens of the "state"(the rest were union soldiers) and most of the vote from the state was not counted....Just saying.

Rights don't come from the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. When discussing rights, one need mention legality only to point out whether rights are recognized or violated.

Nihil Obstat

Speaking of seceding states, Ann Coulter wants to trade your Democratic states in the northeast for western Canada. You guys down with that? I am.