An Old School Catholic Message Board

Civil War

dairygirl4u2c

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

vote before reading.

it seems like people are always saying things like 'this is way worse than even england was, or king henry or george or whatever was a whole lot better than our current system.' yet, i dont see people advocating war, except in passing in saying 'this deserves war' but not actually acting about it seriously, like organizing movements etc. even many who would purport to have fought in the first civil war, dont do it.

why not? are they not really believing the violations are as bad as before? are they cowards? what do you suppose?

Vincent Vega

I'm not sure if one would be necessary - at least yet- but if a movement were to arise, I would seriously consider endorsing it.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Sternhauser

As a definition jackboot, I will assert that a civil war is a war for control over a central State. There hasn't been a war like that under the United State yet. There was a war of Northern Aggression/war for independence, but no civil war.

There should be approximately 299,500,000 more secessions from State power in this particular geographical region.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

My great-grandfather fought in the first Civil War, for the South, and both his brothers fought for the North. They lived in Missouri at the time. So I'm assuming that had I been alive then, and a male, I would have fought. On which side is hard to say.

Rhetoric aside, this may be a time when the country is as divided as it was then. The Vietnam War divided the country, but not in this way.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='25 March 2010 - 03:32 PM' timestamp='1269541950' post='2079822']
Unfortunately I don't think sheep fight wars.
[/quote]

win.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote]Would you have fought in the Civil War?[/quote]

I think you misspelled "The War of Northern Aggression."

[quote name='Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' date='25 March 2010 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1269546386' post='2079887']
I think you misspelled "The War of Northern Aggression."
[/quote]
When I was in Charleston in '82, this little old lady called it "the recent unpleasantness."

rhetoricfemme

I'd like to think we don't need one. It seems as though this would be a war that pits politicians against the rest of the country's citizens. We all have beef with this politician or that one, and the things they stand for and/or are doing to our country.

A civil war over our present issues seems about as likely as people getting off their posteriors to organize such a war. In which case, I think we should first collect ourselves and establish a dialogue of what feel is going wrong with this nation, and what our choices are to fix it. Cause it seems just as unlikely for this to happen, unfortunately.

And yes, I would have fought in the Civil War, preferably with the 54th regiment, or at least volunteered all my services to assist them.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='25 March 2010 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1269548609' post='2079939']
When I was in Charleston in '82, this little old lady called it "the recent unpleasantness."
[/quote]
Old ladies can be so cute sometimes.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' date='29 March 2010 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1269899113' post='2082891']
I'd like to think we don't need one. It seems as though this would be a war that pits politicians against the rest of the country's citizens. We all have beef with this politician or that one, and the things they stand for and/or are doing to our country.

A civil war over our present issues seems about as likely as people getting off their posteriors to organize such a war.
[/quote]

I would agree. That being said, recently I went to a talk from a professor of history and he said "I can imagine a day when the South would secede from the North to avoid a slavery."

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 March 2010 - 09:06 PM' timestamp='1269911163' post='2083008']
A more appopriate term would be "The War Between The States", or The War For States' Rights.
[/quote]

Or 'The War to Keep Black People Enslaved and in a Social Position of Continual Domination and Apartide".

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Hassan' date='29 March 2010 - 10:42 PM' timestamp='1269916957' post='2083082']
Or 'The War to Keep Black People Enslaved and in a Social Position of Continual Domination and Apartide".
[/quote]
Or the 'War which people will use as a springboard for simulacrum for eons to come'.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 March 2010 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1269911163' post='2083008']
A more appopriate term would be "The War Between The States", or The War For States' Rights.
[/quote]

Recently I heard it described as "The War of Federal Aggression" which I think I like better (especially since the Federal Government forced the passage of the 14th Ammendment and incorporation principle after the war and that Abraham Lincolns' Emancipation Proclamation actually only freed slaves in the Southern states not already under Federal control and did not free all slaves- which is allegedly the reason for the war.)

dairygirl4u2c

if another civil war should take place, for those few who say it.... why aren't ya advocating war? or trying to get people organized etc? even if it didnt meet just war criteria per feasiblity etc, why aren't ay advocating it, in terms of trying to amke it feasible etc? also, do you feel the inner convulsiosn to shoot and kill people you walk amongst, given most of them would be against you, and would probably need to fight you? or at leeast are agaisnt your side, and you'd theoretically killthem to triumph?

for those who are against a war now, but not back then, which is msoto f ya. what is different now, other than salvery? is slavery why most of ya'll voted as ya did? is it cause of feasibilit not existing? so if feasiblity were there, you'd be advocating war? if not these reasons, why are not you advocating war?