An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seat Belts, Health Care

dairygirl4u2c

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='27 March 2010 - 04:05 PM' timestamp='1269731150' post='2081595']
Jesus_lol,

I love the looks of the old '70s and '80s imports. Especially the cone-shaped exhausts. Sounds like a great bike to have learned on. A ZX-6R would definitely be interesting. Aren't the roads a little . . . straight, where you are, though?

The Vstrom is phenomenally ugly. Like others have said, a "plastic maggot." The SV650 is a better looking bike, but I like the luggage and slightly better dirt road capabilities offered by the Strom.

Isn't it funny how every used bike you see is for sale has [i]always[/i] been dropped by the "previous owner?" Sure it was. Or the best one, "I had to put it down to avoid hitting X." Sure you did, Mr. Locked-It-Up-Because-I-Panicked-Lowside.

Like the saying goes, it's not a question of [i]if[/i] you put your bike down, it's a question of when and how. The ego goes down harder than the bike. I've dropped mine twice at (thankfully) low speeds in a controlled environment. I'll be very honest about that.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

nahh, i live in BC plenty of mountains, backroads and valleys for sport riding. and plenty more for offroading, gonna need another of those.
hehe thanks, it was a beautiful bike, though i made the mistake of buying it from my driving instructor. later figured out it had been dropped and abused plenty. finicky bike.
yeah i have always liked the ninja's since i was like 8 and got a ride on one. only recently been interested in the sport bikes though. before i started riding i was into cruisers, once i figured out how lame they are to ride, then into naked/streetfighter bikes, then enduros and supermotos.
but a older sportbike can be had for much cheaper than the newer naked bike, thats based of the same engine with neutered horsepower and substandard suspension and brakes. best bang for your buck is a few generations old sport bike.

lol the strom is terribly styled. have you checked out the Kawasaki Versys? its a 650 as well, apparently a phenomenal do it all bike, though not enough horsepower for me to be lusting over :P

hehe the sales to look for are the ones including a helmet and gear. almost always its some newb who got too fast a bike, scared himself and gave up completely. unless he actually crashed it, they generally are barely broken in, brand new and cheap.

surprisingly i have never actually crashed my bike. had a bunch of close calls with slippery surfaces(watch out for train tracks), and plenty of dirtbiking falls(which dont count, you arent doing it right if you dont crash occasionally)

oh, i did actually drop the Honda once, at like 15kmh in a parking lot i hit gravel on the front end and it washed out. <_<

Edited by Jesus_lol

Nihil Obstat

Want a really really ugly motorbike?
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/ZweiRadMuseumNSU_NSU-SportMax_1955.JPG[/img]

Laudate_Dominum

I want an Ironman suit instead. If not wearing a seat belt is bad cuz you might fly into someone I imagine riding a motorcycle is mortal sin. Be warned.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='27 March 2010 - 07:25 PM' timestamp='1269743112' post='2081752']
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/ZweiRadMuseumNSU_NSU-SportMax_1955.JPG[/img]
[/quote]
dude, i would drive that.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='27 March 2010 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1269743920' post='2081776']
dude, i would drive that.
[/quote]
Sure, but it still looks like a mini submarine.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='28 March 2010 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1269743112' post='2081752']

[/quote]

It looks beautiful to me. Wasn't there a thread somewhere here about whether the perception of beauty is based on objective standards? :lol:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Innocent' date='27 March 2010 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1269745936' post='2081804']
It looks beautiful to me. Wasn't there a thread somewhere here about whether the perception of beauty is based on objective standards? :lol:
[/quote]
Hm... I recall that. What did we decide?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='27 March 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1269744151' post='2081782']
[/quote]

you say "but" like that would be a bad thing.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='27 March 2010 - 11:12 PM' timestamp='1269749525' post='2081831']
you say "but" like that would be a bad thing.
[/quote]
Well I suppose it's cool if you can drive it underwater...

BibleReader

Since this thread has been hijacked, I thought I'd post something relevant to the new subject...

Back in the 70's my grandfather had a good friend who was a hemi fan. This friend of his had two great achievements. First he put a hemi on an old international tractor and got pulled over for doing 75 while pulling his manure spreader. The ticket was dismissed because he had that little triangle that farmers use to let them go slow, well it applied here for going to fast. Secondly, he took a set of Harley handlebars and bike body, and put a hemi on that. Can you picture driving around on two wheels with a hemi between your legs? (Pun intended) I guess the bike was quite powerful. Not too many bikes could out run him. The thing would idle at over 50 mph...

And boy did it purr....

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='27 March 2010 - 10:42 PM' timestamp='1269744151' post='2081782']
[/quote]
Get a load of this guy, he has something against submarines.

dairygirl4u2c

[media]http://www.babylontoday.com/5d4deda0.gif[/media]
http://www.babylontoday.com/5d4deda0.gif
[url="http://www.babylontoday.com/5d4deda0.gif"]link[/url]

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

ThePenciledOne

[url="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1375708160121"][url="Though%20this%20was%20relevent%20to%20the%20Seat%20Belt%20debate.%20:%20%29"]Thought this was relevent to the Seat Belt debate. : )[/url][/url]

Edited by ThePenciledOne

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='27 March 2010 - 10:25 PM' timestamp='1269743129' post='2081753']
I imagine riding a motorcycle is mortal sin. Be warned.
[/quote]

So my parish and I are going to hell?

[url="http://www.pioneerlocal.com/elmwoodpark/news/2392904,elmwood-park-blesscycle-0-61710-s1.article"]Chicago's St. William Church revs up blessing[/url]

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='26 March 2010 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1269658582' post='2081065']
because the squids are riding like they usually do, like idiots, at least 30 MPH faster than everyone else, wearing nothing but their trusty Corona t-shirts, shorts and flip flops. [/quote]

LOL - you must live in my neighborhood!

I must, however, give the "golden squid" award to one lady who was riding a GSXR 1000.....in high heels!