An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Entering

tnavarro61

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='23 March 2010 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1269313402' post='2078133']
Ooooh -- maybe they were the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Concepcion! :think: You know... that seems right to me!

I have mostly Korean blood. And also English, German, and Native American. -- I guess I am quite the "melting pot" of being a quintessential "American", right? :lol: Although, I think I have had more people ask me if I am Filippina than any other ethnicity. Hahaha!

Maybe I could be an honorary kababayan? :saint:
[/quote]

you got a black hair and black eyes? just wondering.

i do think you can be an "honorary" kababayan! and i think you are because you have step brothers who are Filipinos! have you tried balut? that makes a foreigner a filipino! many loved to be Filipinos, especially religious.. and you know Ambassador Kelley? she's so kind.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='23 March 2010 - 09:12 AM' timestamp='1269346367' post='2078274']
you got a black hair and black eyes? just wondering.

i do think you can be an "honorary" kababayan! and i think you are because you have step brothers who are Filipinos! have you tried balut? that makes a foreigner a filipino! many loved to be Filipinos, especially religious.. and you know Ambassador Kelley? she's so kind.
[/quote]

I have black hair and really dark brown eyes. :lol:

However *hangs head in shame* I [i]saw[/i] balut... and I considered eating it (just because it is SO "Philippines!"), but alas, I just could not bring myself to eat it. :weep: I fail. :hehe:

However, I did eat many fruits that I had never heard of or seen before. :)) And I think my favorite dessert (ever) is halo-halo. :drool:

And one of my step-brothers made me try some (super-super sour) yellow mango with a lot of salt and vinegar in it. This was my reaction: :blink: :twitch: I am glad I tried it!

:lol:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='23 March 2010 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1269311306' post='2078103']

But once you hear me speak, you would know without a doubt that I am American. Or maybe Canadian. Hahaha!
[/quote]

You only get to be Canadian if you call a toque a toque (not a beanie, hat, or whatever) and say roof not ruff. :cool: :))

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='23 March 2010 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1269348330' post='2078281']
You only get to be Canadian if you call a toque a toque (not a beanie, hat, or whatever) and say roof not ruff. :cool: :))
[/quote]

Well, I fail at "toque", but I do say "roof"! And for the longest time I pronounced "sorry" the way it is spelled, instead of "saw-ry".

I also think I would be a fan of *gasp* POUTINE! (If I can find some che[i][/i]ese curds... I would totally make this myself!)

Does that count? ;)

P.S. -- love the new avatar, vee8! The Annunciation! :love:

Edited by laetitia crucis

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='23 March 2010 - 10:55 PM' timestamp='1269348954' post='2078283']

Well, I fail at "toque", but I do say "roof"! And for the longest time I pronounced "sorry" the way it is spelled, instead of "saw-ry".

[/quote]

lol oh and you have to add the letter u to certain words like colour and favourite, and its centre and theatre, and celcius, and metric and and and :topsy:

[quote]

I also think I would be a fan of *gasp* POUTINE! (If I can find some coagulated milk curds... I would totally make this myself!)

Does that count? [img]public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img] [/quote]

Maaaaaybe. Poutine is so good but soo fattening. Ive never made it at home but I`d just crumble up some mozzarella coagulated milk instead. Ive seen a balut on tv and would probably eat one if it came with gravy... and beer.
[quote]P.S. -- love the new avatar, vee8! The Annunciation! [img]public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img][/quote]

Thanks Im trying to be festive. 10/10 for Data

Edited by vee8

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='23 March 2010 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1269347488' post='2078279']
I have black hair and really dark brown eyes. :lol:

However *hangs head in shame* I [i]saw[/i] balut... and I considered eating it (just because it is SO "Philippines!"), but alas, I just could not bring myself to eat it. :weep: I fail. :hehe:

However, I did eat many fruits that I had never heard of or seen before. :)) And I think my favorite dessert (ever) is halo-halo. :drool:

And one of my step-brothers made me try some (super-super sour) yellow mango with a lot of salt and vinegar in it. This was my reaction: :blink: :twitch: I am glad I tried it!

[/quote]

i just have to admit: i refuse to eat balut haha so don't worry there are also Filipinos and Filipinas who don't want balut.. But i do love ISAW (chicken's small intestines.) and cow's lungs [i]"baga"[/i] and the unripe mango, but i haven't tried it with vinegar. We use salt and [i]patis[/i] or fish sauce.

maybe after holy week we'll be preparing halo-halo. yum yum.

[b]going back to the topic[/b], I have asked the director how long will i stay there, but he hasn't replied. How many days an observership last?

Edited by tnavarro61

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='23 March 2010 - 10:25 AM' timestamp='1269350708' post='2078291']
lol oh and you have to add the letter u to certain words like colour and favourite, and its centre and theatre, and celcius, and metric and and and :topsy:[/quote]

:lol: I used to do that all the time before I found out it was "wrong" in the U.S.! Hahaha! Sometimes, though, they slip in. Like "harbour" and "favourite". Also, I use "s" instead of "z" out of some random habit that I have no idea where I picked up... like "realise", "practise", etc. Hahaha!

[quote]Maaaaaybe. Poutine is so good but soo fattening. Ive never made it at home but I`d just crumble up some mozzarella coagulated milk instead. Ive seen a balut on tv and would probably eat one if it came with gravy... and beer.[/quote]

Yeah, that's a good point... maybe I would only try poutine once a year or something. :smokey: Along with the balut with gravy and che[i][/i]ese, AND beer. (Just don't let me see the feathers!) Beer and che[i][/i] makes everything better. :cheers: ;)

However, lechon is fantastic anytime of year. :eat:

[quote]Thanks Im trying to be festive. 10/10 for Data.[/quote]

:clap: 10/10 for Mary and St. Gabriel! :love:

Edit: And (how could I forget?? :doh: ) the HOLY SPIRIT!!!

Edited by laetitia crucis

laetitia crucis

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='23 March 2010 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1269351185' post='2078294']
i just have to admit: i refuse to eat balut haha so don't worry there are also Filipinos and Filipinas who don't want balut.. But i do love ISAW (chicken's small intestines.) and cow's lungs [i]"baga"[/i] and the unripe mango, but i haven't tried it with vinegar. We use salt and [i]patis[/i] or fish sauce.

maybe after holy week we'll be preparing halo-halo. yum yum.

[b]going back to the topic[/b], I have asked the director how long will i stay there, but he hasn't replied. How many days an observership last?
[/quote]

Hmmm... this is a good question that perhaps Br. Bruno (staretz) will know the answer to. When I have gone to visit various communities I usually ask to stay for a week or two. Two if I am seriously discerning. However, most communities have a weekend "Come and See" which generally goes from Friday to Sunday.

I would hope since you are flying out, they will have you stay longer. :)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='23 March 2010 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1269351527' post='2078300']
Hmmm... this is a good question that perhaps Br. Bruno (staretz) will know the answer to. When I have gone to visit various communities I usually ask to stay for a week or two. Two if I am seriously discerning. However, most communities have a weekend "Come and See" which generally goes from Friday to Sunday.

I would hope since you are flying out, they will have you stay longer. :)
[/quote]

yah i would like to request for at least two weeks or ...15 days! i am thinking if i'll gain weight there. everywhere i go, people would always ask me to eat more because i am thin (but ahem, not sickly!) probably i am thin because i have a twin?

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='23 March 2010 - 08:33 AM' timestamp='1269351185' post='2078294']

[/quote]

With us at least, an observership is a month. It can be longer in the case of older vocations. Yes, I know Dom Lawrence. He is one of our seminarians. He is currently back in the philipines because his mother is ill.

[quote name='Staretz' date='24 March 2010 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1269392511' post='2078695']
With us at least, an observership is a month. It can be longer in the case of older vocations. Yes, I know Dom Lawrence. He is one of our seminarians. He is currently back in the philipines because his mother is ill.
[/quote]

a month... i never thought that could be that long! but well i guess i am confusing the terms.. i am going to observe monastic life there, but i don't know if it is proper to use "observership". i think observership is part of the formation already, is that correct?

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='23 March 2010 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1269395111' post='2078723']
a month... i never thought that could be that long! but well i guess i am confusing the terms.. i am going to observe monastic life there, but i don't know if it is proper to use "observership". i think observership is part of the formation already, is that correct?
[/quote]

It sounds like this might be more of an extended retreat than an observership. Here at least, if someone is making a vocational retreat, they won't live in the enclosure, they will be in our guest house. But, with an Observership, you live in the enclosure and partiocipate directly in the life and work of the community. You would still be doing that as a vocational retreatant, but your participation as an observer is more intense. You are also observed more closely by the community to see if you really do belong there.

[quote name='Staretz' date='24 March 2010 - 11:22 AM' timestamp='1269397353' post='2078751']
It sounds like this might be more of an extended retreat than an observership. Here at least, if someone is making a vocational retreat, they won't live in the enclosure, they will be in our guest house. But, with an Observership, you live in the enclosure and partiocipate directly in the life and work of the community. You would still be doing that as a vocational retreatant, but your participation as an observer is more intense. You are also observed more closely by the community to see if you really do belong there.
[/quote]

thank you very much! probably this is what i will be doing. i am sorry if i misused the term :duh: . the last sentence is bit scary! :sweat::shock: but that's okay :saint: :)) . I do really pray that I am doing God's will. If I stay at the guesthouse, how will the retreat usually go?

do i have to bring lots of clothes? and will i do laundry works there just in case i'll stay for two weeks? :bigthink:

i would really like to ask these to the director but i'm bit shy! and the place must have a low cellphone signal so i can't contact them "properly".

thanks for the big help!

Edited by tnavarro61

Update: I'll be staying for a week and it's up to me when. One step i need to do: ask permission from my father. :shock: prayers please!

Thomas

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='23 March 2010 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1269400259' post='2078774']
thank you very much! probably this is what i will be doing. i am sorry if i misused the term :duh: . the last sentence is bit scary! :sweat::shock: but that's okay :saint: :)) . I do really pray that I am doing God's will. If I stay at the guesthouse, how will the retreat usually go?

do i have to bring lots of clothes? and will i do laundry works there just in case i'll stay for two weeks? :bigthink:

i would really like to ask these to the director but i'm bit shy! and the place must have a low cellphone signal so i can't contact them "properly".

thanks for the big help!
[/quote]

The way it works here is that you would join in for the Office and Mass and then you can do some work around the abbey. After all, floors need to be mopped, maintenance work needs to be done, that sort of thing. Or maybe there will be some extra work to do in the Business Office. Then the Vocation Director and maybe anotehr monk or two will chat with you about your possible vocation and about the community. Here at least, we don't allow guests to use our laundry room. There is no harm in asking once you arrive. You will only be there for two weeks so a single suitcase should be fine, I would think.