An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ohio Pcpa's Make The Move

DameAgnes

laetitia crucis

This makes me want to move to Charlotte, NC -- newly arrived Poor Clares AND Dominican friars!!

May God bless them abundantly in their new home. :sign: :)

Are the "original" nuns (the few elderly nuns who were there when the nuns from Mother Angelica's monastery came to Ohio) still there? I think one of them died a number of years ago, but what happened to the others?

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='22 March 2010 - 06:47 AM' timestamp='1269262066' post='2077460']
It must be very hard to be away from the rest of the Sisters like that :(

Why did they move?
[/quote]

Why did the elderly sisters move to the nursing home, or why is the community moving to North Carolina?

The sisters are in the nursing home simply because the community isn't large enough right now (nor did they have what they need to care for them properly at their present monastery.) The plan is for that to be temporary though. When they're able to take proper care of them at their new monastery, they want to bring them back.

As for moving to a new monastery... this is a reader's digest version... :lol: the building they were in was EXTREMELY small... Their yard has no privacy, and was right next to a school... so they were often interrupted by the noise and people looking in. Plus, the building itself had some serious problems.

They originally intended to build a new monastery on some land in Ohio, but I think they were having trouble getting support, especially because it was very far out where people would not know about them (HisChild may know more about why that wasn't working out.) They were also having trouble getting a regular chaplain, and were going to have to leave the monastery to attend daily mass at a local parish.

They were praying about what to do, and then someone proposed going to North Carolina to them, and, as Ohio already has two other PCPA monasteries... Canton and Cleveland, and also, I believe some Poor Clare Collettines... they felt it was a good opportunity to spread their charism to a place that did not already have contemplatives dedicated to Eucharistic Adoration. So it worked out! Praise God!

Edited by zunshynn

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='22 March 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1269276603' post='2077663']
That's really awesome!
[/quote]

It must be a little difficult to make such a move with a postulant, though. I'm just thinking that postulancy is already such a time of adjustment -and then to up and move the whole monastery. Just seems like a lot, to me. But I wish them wonderful things.

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='22 March 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1269282306' post='2077767']
It must be a little difficult to make such a move with a postulant, though. I'm just thinking that postulancy is already such a time of adjustment -and then to up and move the whole monastery. Just seems like a lot, to me. But I wish them wonderful things.
[/quote]

Dame Agnes, Your post here made me chuckle at bit, as I pulled out my copy of [u][/u]Marvels of Charity--History of American Sisters and Nuns[u][/u] by George Stewart.
The history of Catholic Sisters in this country is filled with the narratives of young sisters, even postulants and novices, who endured all sorts of hardships, including sleeping in tents and stables, living in one room cabins with no amenities whatsoever, and performing 16 hour shifts in Civil War field hospitals.

Catholic Sisters are made of pretty tough stuff. I think she'll be OK. :cool: I hope these PCPA's thrive in their new location!

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='22 March 2010 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1269282306' post='2077767']
[/quote]

Personally I think it would be easier as a postulant than it would be as a novice or a junior... Because you wouldn't be as familiar with the particular monastery, and because you're still adapting to the life that a sudden change is less startling. I think the longer you've been a religious, the more major changes impact you.

[quote name='zunshynn' date='22 March 2010 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1269276321' post='2077654']
Why did the elderly sisters move to the nursing home, or why is the community moving to North Carolina?

The sisters are in the nursing home simply because the community isn't large enough right now (nor did they have what they need to care for them properly at their present monastery.) The plan is for that to be temporary though. When they're able to take proper care of them at their new monastery, they want to bring them back.

As for moving to a new monastery... this is a reader's digest version... :lol: the building they were in was EXTREMELY small... Their yard has no privacy, and was right next to a school... so they were often interrupted by the noise and people looking in. Plus, the building itself had some serious problems.

They originally intended to build a new monastery on some land in Ohio, but I think they were having trouble getting support, especially because it was very far out where people would not know about them (HisChild may know more about why that wasn't working out.) They were also having trouble getting a regular chaplain, and were going to have to leave the monastery to attend daily mass at a local parish.

They were praying about what to do, and then someone proposed going to North Carolina to them, and, as Ohio already has two other PCPA monasteries... Canton and Cleveland, and also, I believe some Poor Clare Collettines... they felt it was a good opportunity to spread their charism to a place that did not already have contemplatives dedicated to Eucharistic Adoration. So it worked out! Praise God!
[/quote]

:yes: