An Old School Catholic Message Board

Institutionalization Of The Gospel

Era Might

This thread began in a previous thread, which you can read here:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=103287&st=0

If you would like to continue discussing the topic of institutionalization, post in this thread.

This thread is for serious discussion, so please ignore any posts that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

HisChildForever

[quote]whom we create for amusement and comfort[/quote]

Christianity is not about comfort. No person who truly follows Christ expects to live in comfort. Also, what do you mean by amusement? How does God "amuse" us?

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='21 March 2010 - 12:25 AM' timestamp='1269145543' post='2076727']
Christianity is not about comfort. No person who truly follows Christ expects to live in comfort. Also, what do you mean by amusement? How does God "amuse" us?
[/quote]
The original thread kind of developed into a different topic than the original post.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='21 March 2010 - 12:28 AM' timestamp='1269145718' post='2076731']
Sigh.

Can you unban me in the chat by the way??
[/quote]
:lol:

I'm not in the chat, but I will go there and ask them to unban you.

HisChildForever

About the lack of miracles in the world, or what you perceive to be a lack of miracles -

Miracles still exist, we are just too "busy" or too swamped in technology (you know, the two friends walking down the street together, but each on their phone texting someone else?) to notice them.

HisChildForever

If you want to point to the Church as an institution, I would say that people have turned it into an institution to suit themselves. Sort of how "cafeteria" Catholics turn Catholicism into a religion to suit themselves. Does that mean the Church is an institution? No, it means that some people have been abusing the Truth of the Church for their own interests.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='21 March 2010 - 12:35 AM' timestamp='1269146103' post='2076740']
About the lack of miracles in the world, or what you perceive to be a lack of miracles -

Miracles still exist, we are just too "busy" or too swamped in technology (you know, the two friends walking down the street together, but each on their phone texting someone else?) to notice them.
[/quote]

bullllllllllho ky

you know it and I know it

There is no god, you know this on some level, as do I.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Hassan' date='21 March 2010 - 02:16 AM' timestamp='1269155768' post='2076772']
bullllllllllho ky

you know it and I know it

There is no god, you know this on some level, as do I.
[/quote]
You're usually better than this.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='21 March 2010 - 01:28 AM' timestamp='1269156488' post='2076776']
[/quote]
I disagree. This is classic Hassan. Check out his rant in connection with his inability to spell the word "Balkan" correctly.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=103703&view=findpost&p=2076334"]Hassan's rant[/url]

P.S. - It is interesting that he misspelled the word "accomplishments" in his ad hominem attack in that post.

The Church, like any social organization, is an institution, and I see no reason to lament this fact, but what I do dislike is the bureaucratic mentality that prevails in the Church today. The Church is a family, and as a family it has a social structure, which according to scripture and tradition is hierarchical in nature (see 1 Cor. 12).

"Let all respect the deacons as representing Jesus Christ, the bishop as a type of the Father, and the presbyters as God's high council and as the Apostolic college. Apart from these, no church deserves the name."

+ St. Ignatios of Antioch

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='21 March 2010 - 03:28 AM' timestamp='1269156488' post='2076776']
[/quote]

Yeah I was very drunk. I'm actually quite sorry about this one.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='21 March 2010 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1269184691' post='2076895']
I disagree. This is classic Hassan. Check out his rant in connection with his inability to spell the word "Balkan" correctly.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=103703&view=findpost&p=2076334"]Hassan's rant[/url]

P.S. - It is interesting that he misspelled the word "accomplishments" in his ad hominem attack in that post.
[/quote]

that is not a rant. I really don't care that I spell poorly and I really do feel pity for you. If I was ranting and trying to be hurtful there is plenty I could have added or said differently.

[quote name='Hassan' date='21 March 2010 - 09:46 AM' timestamp='1269186415' post='2076916']
that is not a rant. I really don't care that I spell poorly and I really do feel pity for you. If I was ranting and trying to be hurtful there is plenty I could have added or said differently.
[/quote]
Typical Hassan.