An Old School Catholic Message Board

Online Dating

Shpout

just wondering what everyone thinks about online dating sites, pros and cons?
I thought about it once or twice, but never tried, don't know that I want to either, seems desperate to me, what do you think?

[quote name='Shpout' date='17 March 2010 - 07:50 PM' timestamp='1268880620' post='2074949']
I thought about it once or twice, but never tried, don't know that I want to either, seems desperate to me, what do you think?
[/quote]

Working out for me pretty well so far, though i found her here, not at a online dating site. I wasnt looking, i just got lucky :P

rizz_loves_jesus

I've never done it and I'd probably never do it... I'd be too paranoid that I'd meet some creeper online who would stalk/rape me. But I guess that's just me.

Ave Maria Singles brought my husband and I together, so I'd say I'm positive on that site certainly. The difference is that it isn't a dating site really. It is supposed to be for people who have discerned that the vocation of marriage is for them, and they are searching for potential spouses, not dates.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='17 March 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1268881061' post='2074952']
Working out for me pretty well so far, though i found her here, not at a online dating site. I wasnt looking, i just got lucky :P
[/quote]
Lucky you! :)

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' date='17 March 2010 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1268882604' post='2074962']
I've never done it and I'd probably never do it... I'd be too paranoid that I'd meet some creeper online who would stalk/rape me. But I guess that's just me.
[/quote]
Yea i m feeling a bit paranoid for sure, and it seems so 'compter' time consuming

[quote name='CatherineM' date='17 March 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1268882958' post='2074975']
Ave Maria Singles brought my husband and I together, so I'd say I'm positive on that site certainly. The difference is that it isn't a dating site really. It is supposed to be for people who have discerned that the vocation of marriage is for them, and they are searching for potential spouses, not dates.
[/quote]
I have heard of Ave Maria singles, and heard many great stories... i need to save $ though... ;) glad to hear it worked for you guys! :)

tinytherese

Terra Firma started a thread where she and other Pmer's gave tips for meeting people online with caution.

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=96244&view=&hl=Meeting%20People%20Online&fromsearch=1

KeenanParkerII

Not sure I'm down with it. It's hard to get an accurate picture of someone unless you see them in real life. It works for some people though.

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='17 March 2010 - 09:45 PM' timestamp='1268887511' post='2075025']
Not sure I'm down with it. It's hard to get an accurate picture of someone unless you see them in real life. It works for some people though.
[/quote]

you would be surprised(i was too) after talking to christie_m for over a year over internet and considering ourselves a couple for about 10 months we met, and there was zero awkwardness, no real surprises personality wise, it was almost like meeting a lifelong friend i hadnt seen in a little while. not a stranger at all.

i had my doubts before that of course, but it worked out better than i ever thought it could, so keep that in mind ;)

[quote name='Shpout' date='17 March 2010 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1268887061' post='2075022']

I have heard of Ave Maria singles, and heard many great stories... i need to save $ though... ;) glad to hear it worked for you guys! :)
[/quote]
When I joined, they gave me a scholarship for half off. I think I paid $49. You just have to ask for it. What I liked is that it was a one time fee so that you don't have to feel like you have to rush.

I met my fiancee (just over a month to go!)on Ave Maria Singles, for whatever that's worth.

"Online dating" does work for a lot of people, though there's no guarantee (it took me years of no luck). Personally, I don't think it's any more "desperate" than trying to pick up random chicks (or in your case, random dudes) in bars. If you're worried about what other people will think or say about how you met, your priorities are probably in the wrong place.
I'd recommend it as an option, but don't give up opportunities to meet people face-to-face either.
"Online dating" should simply be another tool to facilitate face-to-face "real life" dates.

An advantage of using sites like Ave Maria is that you can know about someone's beliefs, values, and interests before actually dating.
Just exercise common sense. You may meet your share of losers, or those not really interested/committed, before you find "the one," but that's true of people you meet in "real life" as well.

Edited by Socrates

HisChildForever

I see nothing wrong with a safe dating site, because you intend to find someone to date in "the real world." That is, you are not looking for an online relationship but a real, committed one. Some people have an "internet boyfriend" or "internet girlfriend" which is just bizarre. Of course, people who have a long distance relationship rely on the computer for communication, but that isn't what I'm talking about.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Shpout' date='17 March 2010 - 11:50 PM' timestamp='1268880620' post='2074949']
[/quote]

Then you'd better stay far away from this place...

Just sayin' :)

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='18 March 2010 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1268960124' post='2075428']
Then you'd better stay far away from this place...

Just sayin' :)
[/quote]
What do you mean?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Shpout' date='18 March 2010 - 11:33 PM' timestamp='1268966037' post='2075476']
What do you mean?
[/quote]

There have been a couple of couples over the years that I think originally met through phatmass... but I'm not familiar with the whole story. I want to say one of them had an engagement announcement last summer.

Edited by LouisvilleFan