An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cannibalism

Hilde

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Hilde' date='16 March 2010 - 07:56 PM' timestamp='1268780183' post='2074257']
How do you respond when someone claims the consuming of the Eucharist is like cannibalism?
[/quote]

Nobody's ever accused me of this, but if they did, I'd say, "Yummy."

Well, I did have a roommate who never knew anything about Catholic theology... he gave a rather disgusted look after the Eucharist was explained to him. Being raised with the "Real Presence" concept as a Lutheran, it was never such a shock to me.

Sternhauser

First, cannibalism isn't immoral, as long as there is grave need, and the person has already died, leaving behind what is now a corpse.

I'm not going to second-guess Jesus' will. Jesus said, "My flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed." And the Jews walked away, understanding what he was saying. They left him. What is more, He didn't try to stop them or clarify what He said. He let them walk away.

~Sternhauser

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='17 March 2010 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1268787957' post='2074320']
First, cannibalism isn't immoral, as long as there is grave need, and the person has already died, leaving behind what is now a corpse.

I'm not going to second-guess Jesus' will. Jesus said, "My flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed." And the Jews walked away, understanding what he was saying. They left him. What is more, He didn't try to stop them or clarify what He said. He let them walk away.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

Ditto. The main problem is the word conjures up visions of people being slaughtered and eaten even though other food is abundant. There was a movie 'Alive' about a plane crash in the Andes mountain. People eventually were forced to eat flesh from those that had died in order to survive. I would like to think that if I were one of the dying, I would request that others eat my flesh so that I could be instrumental in saving them. What's the diff with the donor registry. I'm on that for what it's worth. If someone who was blind could see again, with my eyes, my only hope would be that they could see what I can see. Jesus gave himself up so that we may live. It's all the same.
"Take eat this is my body which is given up for you!" Cannibalism is like sex, it can be both good or evil depending on the circumstances in which it is practised.

Consuming the Eucharist is not cannibalism, properly speaking. Cannibalism refers to the destruction of another human being for one's nourishment (and it is implied, almost by necessity, that the consumed human is killed in the process or already dead). These terms don't work with what goes on during Holy Communion. Christ is alive and lives forever more in his glorified body. When we consume the Eucharist, we are not ripping off pieces of His flesh; Christ's resurrected body cannot be damaged or harmed. Much less are we killing him. Indeed, if anything, it is more proper to say that Christ is consuming [i]us [/i]in Holy Communion; assimilating [i]us [/i]into [i]His [/i]Body.

There is a great passage in "The Hidden Manna: A Theology of the Eucharist" by Fr. James O'Conner that offers a stunning image of all of this. I highly recommend that book.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Ziggamafu' date='18 March 2010 - 01:08 AM' timestamp='1268834895' post='2074541']
Consuming the Eucharist is not cannibalism, properly speaking. Cannibalism refers to the destruction of another human being for one's nourishment (and it is implied, almost by necessity, that the consumed human is killed in the process or already dead). These terms don't work with what goes on during Holy Communion. Christ is alive and lives forever more in his glorified body. When we consume the Eucharist, we are not ripping off pieces of His flesh; Christ's resurrected body cannot be damaged or harmed. Much less are we killing him. Indeed, if anything, it is more proper to say that Christ is consuming [i]us [/i]in Holy Communion; assimilating [i]us [/i]into [i]His [/i]Body.

There is a great passage in "The Hidden Manna: A Theology of the Eucharist" by Fr. James O'Conner that offers a stunning image of all of this. I highly recommend that book.
[/quote]

Yes, thaat's a good image. When I receive Christ into my body, I feel as if I am becoming part of His Body, so the consumption isn't a one-way street, it is 'all-consuming' as we become one flesh, a bit like a man and woman isn't it? We become one with Christ's body. I do like that thought. Flesh of my flesh.... it is an amazing thing that He has given us.

goldenchild17

Haven't read anymore of it so don't really know what its about or if its any good, but...

http://books.google.com/books?id=QauRWfX4NTcC&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=andes+cannibalism+catholic+church&source=bl&ots=9yPqz6wgGG&sig=vmaMyXdkn8eVBh__7o-xbkId0dE&hl=en&ei=JgNqS6zdAtPS8AaJ2ISoDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CBkQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=andes%20cannibalism%20catholic%20church&f=false

Rebecca2009

I guess that's why so many people left Him after He told them about this.
I'd be happy that the person actually believes the Eucharist really IS Him!!!

Rebecca2009

[quote name='nunsense' date='18 March 2010 - 06:57 AM' timestamp='1268913423' post='2075060']
Yes, thaat's a good image. When I receive Christ into my body, I feel as if I am becoming part of His Body, so the consumption isn't a one-way street, it is 'all-consuming' as we become one flesh, a bit like a man and woman isn't it? We become one with Christ's body. I do like that thought. Flesh of my flesh.... it is an amazing thing that He has given us.
[/quote]

That's really beautiful, the way you put this!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Rebecca2009' date='19 March 2010 - 08:21 AM' timestamp='1268947274' post='2075350']
I guess that's why so many people left Him after He told them about this.
I'd be happy that the person actually believes the Eucharist really IS Him!!!
[/quote]

Wow - such a good point! If they complain about cannibalism, then we just say, "Oh, so you do admit that it is really His flesh and blood then?" I love it! If I have a plus, I will give it to you - must check!! +1

Very very good point! (Can you tell I like it?) :)

Failed - used up my pluses - but you deserve one.

Edited by nunsense

desertwoman

Tell them that ancient Christians were slaughtered and accused of cannibalism by Romans when the gospel and the truth of Christ being present in communion was widely accepted and preached. When Christians told the Romans that they were eating the flesh and drinking the blood of Christ, they were tortured and killed for "the crime of cannibalism." So... if early Christians believed that they were eating his flesh and and drinking his blood and martyred for it, why don't you think so?

[quote name='Ziggamafu' date='17 March 2010 - 08:08 AM' timestamp='1268834895' post='2074541']

[/quote]
+1. Great post!

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='20 March 2010 - 01:50 AM' timestamp='1269010213' post='2075658']
+1. Great post!
[/quote]

I agree. A great explanation!