An Old School Catholic Message Board

Census 2010

Lil Red

Census 2010  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+JMJ+
I can't believe nothing has been posted about this yet.

So, what are your plans re: the Census?

homeschoolmom

I haven't seen it yet (though I'm guessing it'll be coming soon...), so I don't know what we will answer.

Saint Therese

I'm planning to fill out information for the person I want to be rather than the person that I am. Why limit myself?

Brother Adam

The US Constitution requires a census be taken every 10 years, so I will fill it out - with the number of people who live here. I have no qualms with the government knowing that 5 US citizens live in my house.

AccountDeleted

It's funny how many people resent the census and it makes me wonder how effective it is if everyone is lying on it??

I don't mind the info that helps to plan schools and road, but I do wonder why they need our names or other identifying information like date of birth, a simple 'how old are you' should suffice.

Maybe it's just a privacy thing but I really dislike the census and have never used my real name ever....

[quote name='Lil Red' date='16 March 2010 - 12:14 PM' timestamp='1268763294' post='2074044']
+JMJ+
I can't believe nothing has been posted about this yet.

So, what are your plans re: the Census?
[/quote]

:idontknow: To fill it out and mail it in?

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='nunsense' date='17 March 2010 - 08:30 AM' timestamp='1268775048' post='2074182']
It's funny how many people resent the census and it makes me wonder how effective it is if everyone is lying on it??

I don't mind the info that helps to plan schools and road, but I do wonder why they need our names or other identifying information like date of birth, a simple 'how old are you' should suffice.

Maybe it's just a privacy thing but I really dislike the census and have never used my real name ever....
[/quote]

And why do they ask questions of a financial nature. They could get that direct from the Tax office unless they are cross checking?

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='17 March 2010 - 08:31 AM' timestamp='1268775070' post='2074184']
What about the non citizens?
[/quote]

I won't fill out your census either!

Edited by Mark of the Cross

You fill out the census more for your descendants. Genealogists pour through them when they become available. I have been included in 4 so far. Not this time. US Citizens in foreign countries are only counted on the census if they are members of the military, or working for the US Government in another country.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='16 March 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1268777327' post='2074213']
And why do they ask questions of a financial nature. They could get that direct from the Tax office unless they are cross checking?
[/quote]

It's too much trouble to cross-check data among different government agencies :) Besides, there would be plenty of cases where they'd get the wrong income data (Sr/Jr, common names, twins, etc. cause mix-ups) so I imagine it's easier for the Census and more reliable overall to simply ask.

No doubt they probably have stats on the percentage of people in every region/state/metro area of the country are prone to ignoring or lying on census forms ;)

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='16 March 2010 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1268777327' post='2074213']
[/quote]

The form I got didn't ask any financial questions.

I really don't get what the big deal is.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='zunshynn' date='17 March 2010 - 11:43 AM' timestamp='1268786583' post='2074301']
The form I got didn't ask any financial questions.

I really don't get what the big deal is.
[/quote]
In Oz they want to know everything. The next one will probably want to know how often I post at PM.
And they're probably trying to figure out how I support myself.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='17 March 2010 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1268786298' post='2074299']
It's too much trouble to cross-check data among different government agencies :) Besides, there would be plenty of cases where they'd get the wrong income data (Sr/Jr, common names, twins, etc. cause mix-ups) so I imagine it's easier for the Census and more reliable overall to simply ask.

No doubt they probably have stats on the percentage of people in every region/state/metro area of the country are prone to ignoring or lying on census forms ;)
[/quote]

I'm probably just cynical, paranoid or both.

LouisvilleFan

Actually, while checkin' out the census form my roommates and I received today, I remembered reading something about the Census Bureau being cut off from taking data from any government agency precisely because their goal is to produce an accurate picture of who we are, where we live, etc., including squatters, illegals, etc.

They don't ask for income, btw. I do like how the last question asks if the person lives anywhere else at times. One of the choices is "jail or prison." :)

Thy Geekdom Come

I'm considering scanning the ridiculous letter accompanying my census form, correcting it on my computer, and posting it online. It says something like, "the census helps us determine whether your neighborhood will get government money for..."

Seriously? No. The census helps you determine who will get MY money that you illegitimately took from me by force of immoral and unconstitutional civil laws. It's all about spreading the wealth. That's why most of the questions are about ethnicity...