An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lesbian Student Sues School Over Prom

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

Sources:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588967,00.html
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/11/mississippi.prom.suit/index.html?hpt=T2

The story in a few lines:

Teen who has given into her struggle with same-sex attraction wants to bring a partner to the prom with her.
School has a ban on such silliness.
Teen cries foul and our friends at the ACLU send an ultimatum to the school board.
School board says "okay" and cancels the prom to be "fair" just like the ACLU wants.
Teen has to face a school full of classmates with a canceled prom because of her.
Teen sues school to force them to hold prom and let her in to flaunt her disordered sexuality.

What should the schools lawyers do if the school were to want to do the right thing according to Catholic morals?

Archaeology cat

Considering a prom isn't exactly essential to their education, I fail to see how they can force the school to have a prom. :idontknow:

She's an adult. If she wants to have a prom with her girlfriend, she can organize it herself. No one is entitled to a prom. I'm sick of whiny liberals.

The school has no right to bar her from attending with her girlfriend. It's not 'silliness' it's just her asking to be given the same rights and privileges as other students. Now that the school has canceled the prom, however, I agree with you all. You don't have any right to have a prom. If they get rid of it for everybody then I can't imagine what grounds she has for demanding they hold a prom against their will. She made a stand, the school called her bluff. Life's rough sometimes. She could call their bluff right back. See if they actually have the sand to stand up to all the pissed off parents who have already dumped an absurd amount of money into their kids prom to keep one lesbian from wearing a tux with her girlfiend to the prom. But I don't see any grounds for her claiming she's legally entitled to have a prom. That's just asinine.

dominicansoul

a prom isn't important. what's important is improving public schools so that America will actually have students with IQ's we can be proud of...

[quote name='Hassan' date='12 March 2010 - 09:35 AM' timestamp='1268404512' post='2071692']
The school has no right to bar her from attending with her girlfriend. [/quote]
The school organized the prom, the prom is a luxury, not a right or a neccessity and so yes, they do have a right to tell her not to bring her girlfriend.

homeschoolmom

It really surprises me that schools continue to hold dances and proms, honestly. It opens up all kinds of liability issues with drinking and things like this story.

[quote name='Winchester' date='12 March 2010 - 09:41 AM' timestamp='1268404902' post='2071694']
The school organized the prom, the prom is a luxury, not a right or a neccessity and so yes, they do have a right to tell her not to bring her girlfriend.
[/quote]

The school isn't allowed to arbitrarily discriminate in who it gives privileges too. The school doesn't have to buy cupcakes. If the school does buy cupcakes for the kids they can't tell tell the students that everyone is welcome to a cupcake except the white kids.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Hassan' date='12 March 2010 - 09:47 AM' timestamp='1268405241' post='2071703']
The school isn't allowed to arbitrarily discriminate in who it gives privileges too. The school doesn't have to buy cupcakes. If the school does buy cupcakes for the kids they can't tell tell the students that everyone is welcome to a cupcake except the white kids.
[/quote]
the school isn't giving any reason why they are canceling the prom...except that it is proving to be a "distraction..."; no one can prove that they did this just because of the lesbians...

Edited by dominicansoul

Brother Adam

[quote name='Hassan' date='12 March 2010 - 10:47 AM' timestamp='1268405241' post='2071703']
[/quote]

You have identified the root fallacy - you have equated race (which has nothing to do with morality) to the disordered desire to have sex and whether other students should be exposed to it in such a public way. If you want to make a comparison you need to use another DSM-IV illness (which of course homosexuality was only removed because it is now 'popular'. It makes me wonder if bestiality will be removed 100 years from now.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='12 March 2010 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1268404618' post='2071693']
a prom isn't important. what's important is improving public schools so that America will actually have students with IQ's we can be proud of...
[/quote]

I would argue that what is important is not boosting a child's IQ but rather properly forming them. We teach to tests, which teaches kids no the material in most cases but either a) how to pass a test or b) how to cheat well (speaking from experience of what happened). Granted some kids are interested in their educations and will learn and will absorb something, but it is far more important to give kids teach kids Sheakespeare and poetry as well as philosophy and theology and the rest of humanities that are un-quantifiable unlike math and science. The focus should be on producing good people (which can be different than good citizens depending on the country) not simply IQ's we can be proud of.

Idea though about the girl: I can't tell whether she is upset about not being able to go to a prom with someone she cares for or whether she is just trying to make a statement. In either case, it would be much simpler to throw her own party (call it a Prom in this case since they aren't having one and dress up) and invite her friends. I am sure she has thrown a party before so why not now? Then there are no lawsuits, she has the attention of her own party, and people aren't forced to organize things they don't agree with.

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='12 March 2010 - 09:53 AM' timestamp='1268405595' post='2071709']
the school isn't giving any reason why they are canceling the prom...except that it is proving to be a "distraction..."; no one can prove that they did this just because of the lesbians...
[/quote]

I think you probably could. But I'm not defending her choice to try to force the school to hold a prom. I think that's asinine. No student is entitled to have a prom. The school isn't denying her any right to self expression by not having an extracurricular event.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='12 March 2010 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1268406267' post='2071714']
You have identified the root fallacy - you have equated race (which has nothing to do with morality) to the disordered desire to have sex and whether other students should be exposed to it in such a public way. If you want to make a comparison you need to use another DSM-IV illness (which of course homosexuality was only removed because it is now 'popular'. It makes me wonder if bestiality will be removed 100 years from now.
[/quote]

Race isn't inherently a morally neutral category. It depends on what moral paradigm an individual is working in. The Old Testament forbids certain social relationships between Israelis and other ethnic/cultural groups groups. For a large number of southerners, social intermingling certainly was a moral as well as social area of concern. Homosexuality is sexually deviant behavior, in the strict statistical sense. If that desire is caused by some genetic disposition or past experience it really doesn't matter. I like women with dark eyes. Is this due to some obscure genetic or environmental factor? I'd assume so. That's where sexual preferences come from for humans. Does a school have a right to to bar me from attending the prom with a girl with dark eyes on the grounds that it is a deviant sexual preference as most of the population is attracted to blue eyes? No. Sexual preferences, provided they don't transgress legal boundaries like pedophilia, aren't a legitimate category to discriminate against.

You may believe that a 'pure blooded' German is committing a filthy, and morally perverse act by being in a romantic relationship with a Jewish girl. But unless you can provide some rational basis for that being something the school/state can discriminate against, you just going to have to accept it in a pluralistic society.

[quote name='Hassan' date='12 March 2010 - 09:47 AM' timestamp='1268405241' post='2071703']
[/quote]
Race and behavior are not equivalent. The school isn't denying someone entry to the prom, they are disallowing a certain behavior within the prom.