An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Novice

DameAgnes

http://www.fsecommunity.org/news/10-02-14_srosario.html

Their website says: "There is no set age at which to discover that God is calling you to religious life." So it appears that each woman is considered individually, regardless of age.

This order seems to get a lot of older vocations -well educated women who have come into the religious life in their 30's. Notice their novices are in the same habit as the other sisters.

They seem like a smart, faithful bunch of women. And if they wear that veil, they must like penance, too! :shock:

Edited by DameAgnes

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='11 March 2010 - 08:06 AM' timestamp='1268309187' post='2070889']
ooh a filipina! so happy to find a filipina in that order!
[/quote]
So very beautiful to see... thinking though, i myself would feel naked without my scapular!:sadder:

I guess i am not meant to be a Franciscan... oh well.:topsy:

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

I just went on a vocation retreat with this order and they are wonderful! :) The sisters have many different professions for apostolates, the Mother General said the only thing she thought wouldn't work for her sisters was probably being an astronaut, since there would be an opportunity for community life! :topsy: One of their focuses is restoring the connection between the secular and the sacred.

melporcristo

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='11 March 2010 - 12:16 PM' timestamp='1268334964' post='2071089']
So very beautiful to see... thinking though, i myself would feel naked without my scapular!:sadder:

[/quote]

:yes:

Our local parish loves this Order. We have a few who are about 40 mins away from us & one of our parish priests asked me to discern with them. Like what Indwelling Trinity said, I wouldn't feel right without my Scapular! I love Franciscan's regardless if I'm not called to them!

Also, a friend from my youth group days is in this picture - Sr. Machaela! How cool!

In Christ,
Melissa

Edited by melporcristo

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='12 March 2010 - 04:16 AM' timestamp='1268334964' post='2071089']

[/quote]

a little off-topic : it's a trend for Filipinos to have a motif for the names of their children, like us, our parents decided that all of us would get Biblical names. also years ago it was a trend in the philippines to have a "religious" name like Maria Asuncion, Encarnacion Maria, Gregorio, Jose, Teresita, Josefina, Benita, Fatima, etc. My parents have lovely names actually.

So going back to the Franciscans of the Eucharist, they surely have an unusual veil. Why do you think the meaning of those veils? for me they look good.

Edited by tnavarro61

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='12 March 2010 - 05:32 AM' timestamp='1268386369' post='2071643']
a little off-topic : it's a trend for Filipinos to have a motif for the names of their children, like us, our parents decided that all of us would get Biblical names. also years ago it was a trend in the philippines to have a "religious" name like Maria Asuncion, Encarnacion Maria, Gregorio, Jose, Teresita, Josefina, Benita, Fatima, etc. My parents have lovely names actually.

So going back to the Franciscans of the Eucharist, they surely have an unusual veil. Why do you think the meaning of those veils? for me they look good.
[/quote]

Just guessing... but seeing how light they are, maybe they chose them because fof the heat in the Philippines?

melporcristo

JMJT+

I'm not sure on the meaning behind this specific veil because these sisters are also located in the midwest as well as in Idaho. I think the veils were altered after Vatican II, but don't quote me on that.

[quote name='melporcristo' date='12 March 2010 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1268420783' post='2071933']
JMJT+

I'm not sure on the meaning behind this specific veil because these sisters are also located in the midwest as well as in Idaho. I think the veils were altered after Vatican II, but don't quote me on that.
[/quote]

[I was under the impression that the order was founded after VCII?)

they were founded according to their website in the 70s. it's after the vatican II. but i think nothing is wrong with the veil. they might have a very deep meaning.

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='12 March 2010 - 10:13 PM' timestamp='1268399628' post='2071667']
Just guessing... but seeing how light they are, maybe they chose them because of the heat in the Philippines?
[/quote]
they're not here yet, but it's surely hot here in the Philippines! But i think it's still bearable for nuns here to wear wimples actually.

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='12 March 2010 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1268443191' post='2072081']
they were founded according to their website in the 70s. it's after the vatican II. but i think nothing is wrong with the veil. they might have a very deep meaning.
[/quote]

They were founded as a response to the changes in religious life that happened after Vatican II.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think I remember being told their veil is symbolic of Christ's crown of thorns (hence the black and the crownish shape).

melporcristo

[quote name='morostheos' date='12 March 2010 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1268450980' post='2072181']
They were founded as a response to the changes in religious life that happened after Vatican II.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think I remember being told their veil is symbolic of Christ's crown of thorns (hence the black and the crownish shape).
[/quote]

JMJT

Ah I see- maybe I should send them an e-mail asking them! But the Crown of thorns for their veils is a great symbol!

[quote name='melporcristo' date='13 March 2010 - 12:47 AM' timestamp='1268459274' post='2072243']
JMJT

Ah I see- maybe I should send them an e-mail asking them! But the Crown of thorns for their veils is a great symbol!
[/quote]

I'm going to go with Occam's Razor on this one and assume that the most obvious answer is the right one, and that is that they styled 'em on the "pillbox veil" you can see in this catalogue.

http://www.wrightscatalogue.com/catalog.html

Item #203.

The sisters look as happy and luminous as any others. But I still don't like the veil. It's a little too Jackie Kennedy, for me! :lol_roll: