An Old School Catholic Message Board

It's 2151 And All The Priests Are Dead

Thy Geekdom Come

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thy Geekdom Come

A friend and I had a philosophy vs. theology debate on the priesthood and I wanted to know what PMers thought about it. I won't be commenting (at least not yet) because I don't want to skew the answers.

So it's 2151 and a nefarious organization has taken over the global government originally established by Supreme Commander Obamhillosi (a monstrous creation of gene splicing, but that's beside the point). In a feeble attempt to claim total world domination, they have murdered all the bishops, priests, and deacons.

What will happen?

Nihil Obstat

Ooh, this is something I've wondered about too. :woot: I'd love to head this debate.
I guess the core of the question is "what happens without a priest?"

Laudate_Dominum

This has happened in some places. I'm thinking of the history of the Church in Japan for example.

I don't think it is possible that every bishop in the universe could die.

Edited by Resurrexi

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='08 March 2010 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1268083676' post='2069059']
I don't think it is possible that every bishop in the universe could die.
[/quote]
Amen. My understanding of Christ's promises to the Church suggest that the Church will subsist until the end of time and the Mass will be offered at least somewhere. There are a number of Scripture quotes that come to mind.

The gates of Hell shall not prevail. And if everyone really is murdered, well, God did institute the priesthood. He can make something else up! :sweat:

Yall should read "Lord of the World" by Robert Hugh Benson. Excellent book.

And I agree with LD that option 4 has already happened in many cultures that have survived maintaining the Faith without some of the sacraments because of a lack of priests.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Didymus' date='08 March 2010 - 05:44 PM' timestamp='1268084696' post='2069070']
Yall should read "Lord of the World" by Robert Hugh Benson. Excellent book.

[/quote]

Awesome book.

+1

HisChildForever

The scenario would never occur, because as others have said the gates of Hell will never prevail. However, since we are pretending that this happened, I voted: [b]I would argue that in extreme circumstances, lay people could ordain.[/b] I know that in an extreme circumstance a member of the laity can baptize an infant.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='08 March 2010 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1268085692' post='2069077']
The scenario would never occur, because as others have said the gates of Hell will never prevail. However, since we are pretending that this happened, I voted: [b]I would argue that in extreme circumstances, lay people could ordain.[/b] I know that in an extreme circumstance a member of the laity can baptize an infant.
[/quote]

Unlike Baptism, which can be validly administered by anyone, Holy Orders can only be validly conferred by a bishop.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='08 March 2010 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1268086031' post='2069081']
Unlike Baptism, which can be validly administered by anyone, Holy Orders can only be validly conferred by a bishop.
[/quote]

Oh darn, there goes that idea.

HisChildForever

Okay I deleted that and changed my vote to all three of the following.

The Second Coming would follow shortly after.
The remaining Catholics would have to make do without most of the sacraments.
The lay Catholics should re-establish a non-sacramental priesthood to do the best they can with what they have.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='08 March 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1268083555' post='2069057']
This has happened in some places. I'm thinking of the history of the Church in Japan for example.
[/quote]

Russia is another... as well as China during the revolution.