An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thomism

Resurrexi

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

laetitia crucis

"We consider that Thomas should be called not only the Angelic, but also the Common or Universal Doctor of the Church; for the Church has adopted his philosophy for her own." -- Pope Pius XI

:blowkiss:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='08 March 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1268103787' post='2069328']
"We consider that Thomas should be called not only the Angelic, but also the Common or Universal Doctor of the Church; for the Church has adopted his philosophy for her own." -- Pope Pius XI

:blowkiss:
[/quote]

Totally +1

[quote name='Fiat_Voluntas_Tua' date='13 March 2010 - 02:15 AM' timestamp='1268464524' post='2072266']
I'm an analytic Thomist.
[/quote]
Like G.E.M Anscombe?

AccountDeleted

I am a female who doesn't have any problem with the views of Thomas because I see beyond the female role that I have in this life to the life eternal where we will be like the angels. I am a woman because I have a physical body, but my spirit is genderless.

And I don't mind being subject to men in all things, i.e. domestic, civil, and ecclesiastical societies because I am not storing up my treasures here on earth, but in heaven. And the last shall be first.

At least that is how I see it.

Nunsense,

What a great response.

Pax,
Praxedes

P.S. Though not a Thomist, he certainly did write beautifully. No debate there.

HisChildForever

[quote name='nunsense' date='13 March 2010 - 06:15 AM' timestamp='1268475355' post='2072278']
And I don't mind being subject to men in all things, i.e. domestic, civil, and ecclesiastical societies because I am not storing up my treasures here on earth, but in heaven. And the last shall be first.
[/quote]

It's not about earthly treasures but about equality.

I don't think Aquinas' view on women is that big of an issue. Thomas was basing his view on an (flawed) Aristotelian biology and there is no reason why any modern Thomist would need to accept that view as fact. With that said, I am not a Thomist ( I consider myself a Palamite) but if I was it would be as a Transcendental Thomist.

Edited by Formosus

[quote name='Formosus' date='19 March 2010 - 01:00 PM' timestamp='1269021607' post='2075770']
I don't think Aquinas' view on women is that big of an issue. Thomas was basing his view on an (flawed) Aristotelian biology and there is no reason why any modern Thomist would need to accept that view as fact. With that said, I am not a Thomist ( I consider myself a Palamite) but if I was it would be as a Transcendental Thomist.
[/quote]

Palamas is among my least favorite theologians.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='20 March 2010 - 04:06 AM' timestamp='1269018384' post='2075731']
It's not about earthly treasures but about equality.
[/quote]

Focusing too much on equality can be a slippery slope. It leads to things like women wanting to be ordained as priests. There is an equality that God provides, but not all things in this world are equal, and should not be. Children should not tell their parents how to run the family. Religious have to be obedient to their superiors. We all have to obey the rules of the law. There are hierarchies in every aspect of life. Some work better or seem fairer than others and can be changed through legislation.

But I still think our focus needs to be on heavenly things and not earthly things. Nothing was particularly fair about the Romans oppressing the Jews but Jesus was trying to preach something else, certainly not equality.

I think having a head of the family works well, and having leaders in the Church too. The fact that I am not going to be that leader shouldn't be a major problem for me since Christ told his disciples not to seek power. St Paul even told the slaves to work as if they were working for Christ (he didn't say stand up and revolt).

I just don't object to what Aquinas wrote. Being subserviant can teach us about the humility of Christ who humbled Himself to become a man.... hardly equality from His point of view, being God Himself, and yet he was teaching us that we don't need to fight for position in this world.

I am probably in the minority on this, but I am happy with my position in life as a woman in the Church.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='nunsense' date='13 March 2010 - 07:15 AM' timestamp='1268475355' post='2072278']
I am a female who doesn't have any problem with the views of Thomas because I see beyond the female role that I have in this life to the life eternal where we will be like the angels. [b]I am a woman because I have a physical body, but my spirit is genderless.[/b]

[/quote]

I'm not so sure that this is the case. I think our sexuality is more than just our physical body- to separate the two leans toward dualism of the body and soul.

"Sexuality affects all aspects of the human person in [i]the unity of his body and soul[/i]" (CCC 2332).