An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thomism

Resurrexi

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My household, [i]Tantum Ergo Sacramentum[/i], at Franciscan has taken the Angelic Doctor as its patron. For me to not be a Thomist would be... well... wrong.

St. Thomas and Our Lady Ark of the New Covenant are our two patrons

Edited by Slappo

KeenanParkerII

I am not well learned enough in Thomism to be a Thomist, but surely I will be one day in the future. :)

Why is this in the debate forum?

Saint Therese

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='08 March 2010 - 08:05 AM' timestamp='1268053528' post='2068739']
I am not well learned enough in Thomism to be a Thomist, but surely I will be one day in the future. :)

Why is this in the debate forum?
[/quote]

Same here, but I figured I better vote for the Dominican!

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='08 March 2010 - 08:05 AM' timestamp='1268053528' post='2068739']
I am not well learned enough in Thomism to be a Thomist
[/quote]
Yep. Me, too.

HisChildForever

[quote]Women, then, for Aquinas are essentially and fundamentally equal to men: they have the same substantial form, which determines them specifically and essentially, and their difference arises from their bodies not their souls: both participate the image of God because of their nature; woman is necessary to the completion and perfection of human nature, and is directed equally with man to the same supernatural end, concerning which there is neither difference nor discrimination because of sex.[/quote]

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=2793&CFID=30892310&CFTOKEN=73221739

I like him. He does mention women as the weaker sex, but weaker in terms of physicality.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='08 March 2010 - 12:13 PM' timestamp='1268068382' post='2068834']
http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=2793&CFID=30892310&CFTOKEN=73221739

I like him. He does mention women as the weaker sex, but weaker in terms of physicality.
[/quote]
You've reminded me that I made a short blog post about this several years ago.

[url="http://wisdomdogs.blogspot.com/2007/08/does-saint-thomas-teach-that-femininity.html"]Does Saint Thomas teach that femininity is a defect?[/url]

HisChildForever

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='08 March 2010 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1268068822' post='2068845']
You've reminded me that I made a short blog post about this several years ago.

[url="http://wisdomdogs.blogspot.com/2007/08/does-saint-thomas-teach-that-femininity.html"]Does Saint Thomas teach that femininity is a defect?[/url]
[/quote]

Very nice!

HisChildForever

[quote]So given that the male is the active principle in generation, that females do not participate actively in generation but merely supply the matter, and hence that femininity is a lesser perfection than masculinity, that females are generated accidentally, and that female bodies are less perfect than masculine bodies, Thomas concludes that women are less perfected than men in their souls, in higher reasoning, and in those virtues which require reason's direction of actions. As will be shown in the second part of this study, this inferiority is the reason why the woman is subject to the man in domestic, civil, and ecclesiastical societies.[/quote]

What???????? I change my vote.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='08 March 2010 - 10:54 AM' timestamp='1268070853' post='2068882']
[/quote]
:)

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='08 March 2010 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1268070853' post='2068882']
[/quote]
Sad story.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='08 March 2010 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1268072503' post='2068908']
Sad story.
[/quote]

Why? Do you believe that women are "less perfect" in their souls and reasoning? That they should be subject to men in "domestic, civil, and ecclesiastical societies"? Clearly Aquinas believed that the roles of husband and wife should be extended to include the roles of man and woman in general in society.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='08 March 2010 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1268072503' post='2068908']
Sad story.
[/quote]
As Yoda said: "Now matters are worse." :)